What instead of Elavil - help!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JQP, Jul 8, 2003.

1. JQP

JQP New Member

Can anyone suggest an alternative to Elavil. Was on it for three years (100mg and still woke up throught it) and then was upped to 150mg. After couple of months I started to hallucinate in the night seeing people in my bedroom!! which scared the hell out of me, and didn't do an awful lot for my partner when I woke him up with my screaming!!!

Anyway, been off them for some months and no more hallucinations. However, have gone drastically downhill since. Am in constant pain, exhausted because don't sleep long enough or deep enough anymore, and have now lost my job because of it all.

Have been put on Cipramil (upped to 20 mg last week) so far hasn't made a blind bit of difference.

Any help would be great.

Jacqui

PS Used to have 5HTP and melatonin with the Elavil, but can't have the 5HTP with the Cipramil and the melatonin suddenly broke me out in screaming skin!!! Should have sunk a battleship but I still woke up several times a night.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The Elavil didn't help me get good sleep, but I now take Klonopin and get 7-8 hours of quality sleep. It helps with the pain as well. It has stopped my anxiety/panic attacks and helped with sensory overload and tinnitus. It's been a God send for me. Like everything, though, it doesn't work for everyone. The longer I've been on it, the better it works.

It's not addictive, but if I want to ever quit taking it, I have to wean off of it. Klonopin is an antiseizure medication which helps stop the misfiring neurons in our brains which causes the anxiety, insomnia, racing brain, sensory overload, and RLS.

Love, Mikie
  3. Misdiagnosed

Misdiagnosed New Member

Hi

I reacted really badly to Zoloft and refused to take any other SSRI-type anti-depressants. Increased my muscle spasms, couldn't eat, felt awful. Was talked into trying Avanza - think it's called Riperdin or something like that in the States. (It's fairly new I think, and is supposed to be really well tolerated)

I've had no side effects that I can detect on this anti-depressant - even the first dose was fine.
    Was on 15mg to start, felt mildy sleepy on waking, and was then put up to 30mg after a week and the morning sleepiness disappeared. I now sleep soundly 7 hours plus with no wakings at all. Before I was waking every morning around 4 or 5 am. Plus my depression is gone - however, my body symptoms are much the same - still have muscle tension and spasms all over.

Hope this helps
    Regards
    Gill
  4. Kim

Kim New Member

Remeron is not an SSRI, nor is it a tricyclic (like Elavil). It works somewhat like an SSRI only without the anxiety and sexual side effects. If you need something for sleep only, I'd take 7.5 to 15 mg about an hour before bed. It is the only thing that has ever helped me sleep through the night. There's only one significant side effect....it increases your appetite tremendously. I always weighed between 105 and 108 since I was a teenager (I'm now 47). And I always ate anything I wanted....but healthy. I gained 15 pounds and am now trying to control my appetite. I get between 8 and 10 hours of sleep and wake feeling rested. It helped my depression somewhat. It took my anxiety away (I got off Xanax after 15 years).

Klonopin, Xanax, and Valium are in the same family. Klonopin was originally prescribed for seizures. It has a longer half life than Xanax or Valium. Valium is a better muscle relaxant than either Xanax or Klonopin. Xanax has done much better clinically for panic attacks than Klonopin or Valium.

Remeron is very interesting in that it acts as a sedative at lower doses and has more of a stimulating effect at higher doses.

Hope this helps.

kim
  5. judywhit

judywhit New Member

of the elavil is to high. My doc said that at 10-25mg elavil works for insomnia. Anything above that does not help.
    My doc will not prescribe remron because of the rapid weight gain his patients have. Try a way lower dose of the elavil and see if that helps.
    Judy
  6. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Doxepin is the generic name for it, and it is very helpful for sleep..I have been on it for many years, now, and have not had any problems with its use..I did not find Elavil very helpful for me..

I don't know, though, if you would or would not have the same problems, since they are in the same family of drugs..might be a problem..It does cause weight gain, though, if you aren't careful...

If you can't take the Doxepin, there is also an option of Zanaflex (a muscle relaxant), that is very effective for insomnia..

Plantscaper
    [This Message was Edited on 07/09/2003]
  7. kaymac

kaymac New Member

I take trazadone going on 2 yrs now and never had a problem. I have cut my dose in half now, being all 150 mg leaves me too groggy in morning. My friend here with FM too was on Klonopin too long and had problems getting off and was switched to elavil which made her loopy. So now she is on trazadone(50mg) and loves it thus far. I sleep like a baby!

kaymac
  8. JQP

JQP New Member

You have given me something to work on for my next visit to doc.

My main problem with sleeping is not getting to sleep so much, as staying there. Initially I was on 25 mg and worked it up over the time I was on it. After the hallucinations, I was too scared to go back on it. Couldn't face it, plus I was getting more and more exhausted and scared to sleep.

According to my mother, I have been like this ALL my life, so I don't really hold up much real hope. That is really negative, but I am soooo tired at the moment and just need relief from it.

Thanks again, I'm just going to print of your messages so I can refer back to them.

Jacqui

Thanks again.
  9. Patti2

Patti2 New Member

I take trazadone 50 or 100 mgs at bedtime, I also take a 5mg of Valium for muscles relaxation. I give it about 20 min or so and I am ready to go to sleep. I usually get to bed 10:30 or so and fall right to sleep until 1-1:30 I have zanax only 2.5 mg to try to get back to sleep. Sometimes it works sometime it doesn't. I average about 3 hours of good sleep a night. (Thank GOD for that much) Ask your Dr. I have heard very little bad about trazodone) He said I could go up to 300 mgs which I tried but the 1:00 alarm still goes off. Good luck to everyone with this DD. I have never hated anyone or anything as much as I hate this. (except tuna fish)
    Hang in there,
    Patti
  10. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I haven't been perscribed Elavil since 1979. I'm so surprised to see that so many people are still being given it.

I didn't like it, simply because of the enormous weight gain. I've been taking Paxil for years and I've never had any side effects from it.

However, I can't say it completely helps the sleep problem. I say completely because if I run out of it before I can afford to refill it my sleep problems get even worse, so it must help partially.

Trazedone didn't help, but Ambien did.

JoAnn
  11. toots2

toots2 New Member

Klonopin is very addicting, I read, and why I take trazadone instead. It has worked for me for years and I always get a good night's sleep. Toots