what is a flare up?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nje, Sep 22, 2002.

1. nje

nje New Member

will someone who truly knows about them,please reply quickly i have been bed bound for 3 days. i live in s.c.. we went to tennesse wednesday, by thursday i was beginning to fell bad,so i tried to do what i could with my friend,since i invited her along, i hated to have to give upbut i should have,because thursday morning,i couldn`t get out of the bed at all. i gave her the keys to the car and said,go where you want do what you want to,just let me lay here where its quite. so she did,but kept coming back to check on meby friday i still didn`t do much with her went out to eat,then back to bed,saturday it rained all day, and i was greatful because it wasn`t my fault that we couldn`t go out,well we got home today at 4:00pm , i put my stuff up and jumped in the bed i just thought i`d get on the computer long enough to see what the symptoms of a flare up are, i belelieve it was one because i couln`t walk without stumbling al over the room, i hurt about every where the are to hurt ,stayed nauseated i don`t sat much any more but either i`m gaining weight or my stomach is swelled,which it fills like it is. thats another question i wanted to ask, do any of you swell in any place,my feet swell alsowell i`m tired please someone answer me back.
  2. nje

nje New Member

will someone who truly knows about them,please reply quickly i have been bed bound for 3 days. i live in s.c.. we went to tennesse wednesday, by thursday i was beginning to fell bad,so i tried to do what i could with my friend,since i invited her along, i hated to have to give upbut i should have,because thursday morning,i couldn`t get out of the bed at all. i gave her the keys to the car and said,go where you want do what you want to,just let me lay here where its quite. so she did,but kept coming back to check on meby friday i still didn`t do much with her went out to eat,then back to bed,saturday it rained all day, and i was greatful because it wasn`t my fault that we couldn`t go out,well we got home today at 4:00pm , i put my stuff up and jumped in the bed i just thought i`d get on the computer long enough to see what the symptoms of a flare up are, i belelieve it was one because i couln`t walk without stumbling al over the room, i hurt about every where the are to hurt ,stayed nauseated i don`t sat much any more but either i`m gaining weight or my stomach is swelled,which it fills like it is. thats another question i wanted to ask, do any of you swell in any place,my feet swell alsowell i`m tired please someone answer me back.
  3. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I'm sure everyone experiences different symptoms with flare-ups, but I'll tell you what I think. I find that I go into a flare when I've pushed myself too hard and/or are stressed out too much. For instance, if I don't get enough sleep one night, I'll hurt very badly the next day. That's what happened to me this weekend. I got to bed very late Saturday night, and woke up this morning in extreme pain! I work part-time (20 hours a week) but if I work too many hours over that, I can go into a flare. Again, more pain. So I have to pace myself and not do too much at one time. I can't clean my house in one day like I used to. I can only do one or two rooms at a time. If I do too much cooking and baking, I'll experience more pain. If you look back to the days before your trip, you might find that you tried to do too much - packing, getting ready, driving, etc. Another thing that causes me more pain is not exercising. I find that I need to walk to stretch out my sore muscles. If I don't go to the gym for a few days and get on the treadmill, I'll be in more pain. I would suggest you talk to your doctor and tell her your symptoms. Discuss what you can do the next time you're in a flare. Good luck!!!!

Annette2
  4. diggity

diggity New Member

I am so new to this that I can't help you much. I think a flare up is when you have a time of feeling especially bad and hurt even more than usual, but I'm not completely sure that's all there is to it. I wanted to answer your question about swelling, my body retains fluid and I have swelling in my left leg and ankle always. I don't know exactly why but yes, I do have swelling. I'm not sure if there is a connection to fibro. Maybe someone else can give you better answers. Hope your feeling better soon. :eek:)
  5. fibolady

fibolady New Member

always if i overdo (everyone has different limits on what they can do and get by with) i will be in a flare the next day or even start hurting more that night. plus, my sleep will be interrupted more. but,

sometimes, without warning i will wake up and be in a flare. the fatigue will be so bad i will not be able to leave the house.

my doctor has tried to help me find a pattern, but i cannot find one. it has a life of its own. i do know that stress and worry cause the fms to excellerate so i try to stay pretty much on an even keel. that is harder to do than you think with kids, husband, dog and just living with this dd.

to accept we have this new life now, and cannot do the things we used to do, but we can do other things and be happy about who we are now. there are always others that are in worst shape! to get past that others don't "get" our dd and just live our lifes to the best we can.

what was this post originally, think i've really gotten off tract. hopefully, something in the post helped you today.

warm regards and that you feel better today,

fibolady
  6. sickandtired

sickandtired New Member

The reason why I went to the doctors and was finally diag with fm was because my hands, feet and abdomen were all swelling up and I wanted a diuretic. I dealt with all the other problems over the years but this one seemed to tick me off. So, I went to the doctors for something other than my neck and shoulder. He couldn't figure out why I was swelling and it was apparent to him that I was. So he ran a bunch of tests and they all came back normal. So I stumped him and he gave me a referal to another doctor. Thank god it was something he could physically see because I dont think I would have been diagnosed otherwise. I had alot of pain with the swelling. when I stepped out of bed, it felt like I was stepping on needles. and I couldn't walk for at least a half an hour on a good day, until my feet got used to it. It looked like I was walking over hot coals. I couldn't close my hands either, and I had to wait to dress after a few hours so I could fit back into my clothes. Eventually the swelling went down throughout the day and in the morning it started all over again
  7. diamond5

diamond5 New Member

my feet and legs swell also , have you had your blood pressure checked lately? that is why i retain water and have swollen feet.. i have not been diagonsed with fibro yet so that may not be all of my problem.
    karen w.

[ advertisement ]