What is a good digestive supplement to take ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Troy07, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Troy07

Troy07 New Member

Greetings to all,

I am trying a supplement approach to alleviate my CFS & FM symptoms and hopefully put them into remission. I need to know the name of a digestive aid supplement to add to my diet. I had read the names of two groups of enzymes ( and forgot them already ) in the CFS library, but it did not list any supplements containing them.

I am looking for something in pill form since I do not eat anything good for me but rather grab what's there at the moment. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to start on it as soon as possible.

-T.
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

If you are looking for enzymes, there are a lot of good comprehensive enzyme combinations out there. You won't go wrong with anything from Pro Health. Probiotics are also very good for your digestion. Again, there are several that you can find that are good, Jarrodophilus, Primal Defense, Acidophilus Pearls.
    I'm wondering if you also want a good multi vitamin. I think we all should be taking a multi. There are many and again, Pro Health has some very good ones.

Good Luck
    Kathy
  3. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Lipids (fats & oil) are dissolved with lipase
    Protien - protease
    Carbs - amylase

Walmart "Rexall" enzymes are $7/200 tabs.

Other good tips:
    1) Chew a lot, this releases enzymes from the saliva that gets the whole digestive process going.

2) Drink a minimum amount of liquid with your food, as it dilutes the digestive enzymes from the stomach and pancreas.

3) Add melons, pineapple and papaya to the diet. These are rich in enzymes. "Eat melons alone or leave them alone or your tummy will groan".
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

One I like a lot is called Digestabs by Puritan's Pride - you can order it on-line from the Puritan's Pride website. I've been taking it for several years and know that it has helped my digestion quite a bit.

Mary
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I am a huge fan of the supplements that they sell here at Pro Health, they've changed my life.

In fact, I ran out of most of them the past few weeks and I haven't felt this crappy in quite a while.

I take the Acidolphilus they sell here and they've changed my life IBS-D wise. They're amazing really...work both ways IBS-D or IBS-C too.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  6. health_matterz

health_matterz New Member

A digestive enzyme will not constitute a remedial effect with a poor diet. Digestive enzymes are to assist the digestive tract in breaking down a variety of foods so that more of the nutrients can be absorbed from the food stock. If the poor diet you are discribing is lacking in the necessary building blocks, then the digestive enzyme could give you excessive bowel activity and create additional hunger pains.

I would suggest that you take a vegetable rich supplement along with a concentration of time release B-12. Top it off with Eicosapentaenoic Acid and Docosahexaenoic Acid combined with with Omega 3 fatty acids. This will give you the material that your system requires as well as give you energy. Don't forget your vitamin "C". Studies show that north American diets are 70 to 90% lacking in vitamin "C". These are all available in pill form.

If budget is a factor then go with the vegetable supplement and vitamin "C" only as they will have a more positive effect your digestive tract no matter what you eat.

Don't berate yourself on eating the way you do, unless it is potato chips and soda. A meat and potatos meal will kill you faster than dried blueberries and 70% chocolate. Look for rich antioxidants rather than a 3 item meal. And don't mix your starches and proteins and you'll feel better too.

Regards
    [This Message was Edited on 12/20/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/20/2006]
  7. ladykew

ladykew New Member

My Gastroenterologist said I should be taking Probiotics every day. I love the FloraQ Probiotic. It is in a small capsule, 30 to a bottle, and at my pharmacy costs $29 a bottle. They are very high quality and do not have to be refrigerated. They have restored the normal balance to my digestive system, and I feel like a different person.

He also has me to take Konsyl, a powdered fiber that you shake with water. It can be taken from one to three times a day as needed. You must drink lots of water with this to bulk the stool. It's a Wal-Mart product. Better than any other fiber I've ever tried.

I also take Pedialyte (for the electrolytes) 4 times a day. It just makes me feel less shaky.

Hope this helps.
    ~~Lew
  8. Troy07

Troy07 New Member

Thank you all for the information. I have written the names down and have started looking them up to compare.

Merry Christmas,
    Troy
  9. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

I work with a Dr with RA/IBS and she takes a prescription probiotic and I will find out the name of it. She said it is much better than anything you can get over the counter.

I will post it when I get the name of it.

Hugs,
    Karen
  10. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Also, the Fibro Complete Multi with Malic Acid is a wonder supplement for my family.

We ran out a few weeks ago and all have gone downhill since.

Well worth the price too. Also, the Acidolphillus Pearls they sell here are about $30.00 a box but have 90 in them.
    All items they sell here come with a great guarantee and they donate so much to research too.

Hugs,

Nancy B