What is a Psych evaluation like????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gail, Mar 14, 2006.

1. gail

gail New Member

I am being re-evaluated for my SS and I have been taking Paxil for 8 years. I have never had a Psych evaluation. I could talk for hours about stuff like being sexually abused etc but I don't want SS to know my history should I just talk about how miserable I am??? Do I get a copy of my report??? Thanks all.
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

insurance cases we often sent people for psyche exams. (I have no experience w/ Soc. Sec. exams.)

Generally the dr. would interview the patient for about half an hour and then give the patient tests: The Beck Depression Test, the MMPI, etc. These can take up to 3 hours to complete. Some drs. tell the patient to take them home and then mail them back.

Altho many people think expert witness like doctors are impartial, the experts get paid to come up w/ the finding their client wants.

Why don't you want to talk about your history? Doesn't it help to explain your cause/history of disability?

Good luck.
  3. livin4him

livin4him New Member

Don't sugarcoat anything. For me, I just told him how I felt everyday and what a typical day was like for me. He asked me current world activities, of which some I wasn't able to say, because I didn't know. He asks questions like this to see where your frame of mind is. That is how out of it, I was at this time. God was on my side and he took care of me during that time and gave me his favor in the whole process. If you are depressed let them know, I would go in there like you look on a typical day.

Good luck to you.