what is CBT??????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by carebelle, May 9, 2006.

1. carebelle

carebelle New Member

what is cbt??????
  2. jane32

jane32 New Member

CBT stands for cognitive behavorial therapy. It can be very useful. Beofre becoming ill I was a cbt therapist. I just recently started seeing a cbt therapist for my sleep and so forth. It has really helped me and my outlook but you have to be patient.
  3. suz9601

suz9601 Member

Is this like emotional freedom technique?
  4. KelB

KelB New Member

The CBT that I had tended to give practical techniques for improving your physical wellbeing and mental outlook. It was presented as a set of coping strategies and not as a cure, which is important.

Can't rememeber it all, but some of the things I learned as part of the CBT included:

- Acceptance of the illness. Stop trying to resist and fight it because you can't deal with a problem unless you acknowledge that it exists (trying to help some of those who'd been ill for years and their docs had been telling them there was nothing wrong).
    - Activity pacing
    - Resting (both physical and mental)
    - Listening to your body rather than trying to ignore it
    - How to recognise the day-to-day activities that cause or worsen fatigue, then how to modify them to lessen or eliminate their impact.
    - Positive thinking
    - Assertiveness (especially when dealing with bosses and other medical professionals)

Loads of other stuff as well, but it was really the listening to my body, pacing and resting that helped me.