What is Chiari Surgery

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by WifeHasFMS, Sep 24, 2002.

1. WifeHasFMS

WifeHasFMS New Member

Does this have anything to with FMS? I see surgery was mentioned. What type of surgery?

Thanks,

WifeHasFMS
  2. WifeHasFMS

WifeHasFMS New Member

Does this have anything to with FMS? I see surgery was mentioned. What type of surgery?

Thanks,

WifeHasFMS
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Cheryl, who has had the surgery, does not post very often and may not see this, so I'll give it a try.
    As I understand it, it is a malformation at the back of the neck where the cervical spine joins the head. The skull is a bit too small and some parts of the spinal column that are supposed to be inside it, protrude below into the cervical spine, where the extra compression causes problems. That's a crude description, but the best I can do. You can do a websearch and find info on this and the surgery for it. Just use a search engine and type in "Chiari malformation". Some doctors believe many FMS patients have this malformation and that it causes their FMS symptoms. This is very controversal and only a couple docs are doing this surgery, which is not exactly a day at the beach. Cheryl has gotten great results though. Hope this helps,
    Klutzo