what is difference between Valcyte and Cytovene?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LISALOO, Jun 19, 2008.

LISALOO New Member

I'm on ganciclovir (Cytovene- 450 mg/ 2x's daily) but would like to know the diffrence between that and Valganciclovir (Valcyte)? Do they treat the same things? Is one better for CFS? I have HHV-6 of 1:160, CMV & EBV that was also on the border.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/19/2008]
  2. gettingwell

gettingwell New Member

I'm sorry, I don't know the difference between the two, although your viral loads seem rather low compared to those who go on Valcyte (according to Montoya's protocol).

LISALOO New Member

Thanks for the response, I know my numbers are low, that's why I qeustion if I'm even on it!

has anyone been on ganciclovir, and if so, gotten better?
  4. gettingwell

gettingwell New Member

I just did a little Google search and it seems that ganciclovir is Valcyte - Valcyte is the brand name for the drug - it's the same thing.

Were you told that you're taking Valcyte??

Also, who is your doctor?

LISALOO New Member

valganciclovir is valcyte
    ganciclovir is cytovene from what I read

Although one article did say ganciclovir oral is valcyte, which is different right?
  6. gettingwell

gettingwell New Member

Maybe I misread the article (very possible!). Did Dr. E prescribe the ganciclovir? I thought he was opposed to any antiviral with the exception of Valcyte.

LISALOO New Member

I'm still confused, i read this

Valcyte is the oral pro-drug of Roche's Cytovene(R) (ganciclovir), which has been the most widely prescribed anti-CMV medication in the world. Valcyte delivers the same active drug ingredient as Cytovene oral with up to 10 times greater bioavailability than Cytovene. Valcyte also offers the benefit of once-daily dosing, giving immunocompromised patients who often take multiple
    medications enhanced convenience in treatment.

but then my insurance shows gancyclovir as the generic as Valcyte, which it wouldn't be.

My semi-local dr (Milwaukee) prescribed cytovene.

8. gettingwell

gettingwell New Member

Still confused too! You should probably call your doctor.

Are you also on Valcyte? I read on your past posts that you started Valcyte.

Good luck!

LISALOO New Member

I thought I was on Valcyte, now I realize that ganciclovir is different (at least I think so!!!) I e-mailed my dr.
  10. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

gancyclovir is given by IV i think. Valgancyclovir (valcyte) is the valene ester (i think) of gancyclovir..it is meant to be taken orally.

but what is cidofovir? that's my question...

LISALOO New Member

I do have a bottle and it is ganciclovir on the bottle and it is pills.