What is Flax Seed good for?....a list....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AJME, Jan 23, 2003.

1. AJME

AJME New Member

Dear All,

I take Milled Flax seed whenever I eat and I find it benefitial. I notice that now there Lego type waffles that are part soy and part Flax available at Harris Teeter now. You can also by FLAX bread at Health food markets. Seems like FLAX will be incorporated into many more foods as all the benefits become more well known...

What is Flax?
    Flax is a plant that has been around for 5,000 years. the ancient Egyptians used the inside of its stem to make linen cloth.

Flax, an ancient but little know seed, has recently gained worldwide recognition for its many nutritional attributes. Several years ago, researchers from the University of Toronto began to study the potential benefits of flax. Their results showed that flax seed could lower serum cholesterol and also prevent the growth of new cancer cells. The prediction is: flax will likely be found in many new foods in the near future.

What Does Flax look like?
    Flax is flat, oval and pointed at one end. Seeds range in color from light to dark reddish brown or golden yellow.

Is the fat in Flax saturated or polyunsaturated?
    Polyunsaturated. the oil in flax is characterized by its high level of polyunsaturated fatty acids.

What is natures richest source of Omega-3?
    Flax! Omega-3 is an essential nutrient missing in nearly all human, equine and canine diets.

Where is Flax grown?
    Over 40% of the world's flaxseed is actually produced in Canada, accounting for about 5% of all the grains grown in Canada.

Why Flax:

Shortens recovery time for fatigued muscles after exertion.
    Increases the body's production of energy and also increases stamina.
    Accelerates the healing of sprains.
    Milled Flax seed eases weight loss by stimulating brown fat cells and increases the metabolic rate of fat burning.
    Improves the absorption of Calcium.
    There is evidence to support that flax may improve the anabolic hormone, insulin, important in diabetes & Syndrome X.
    Flax accelerates the healing of bruises.
    Strengthens finger and toe nails.
    Improves eyesight and the perception of colors.
    Improves the function of liver.
    Flax can relieve the side effects and stop development of many forms of cancer.
    Flax seed can relieve some cases of Asthma.
    Flax is helpful in the treatment of Eczema or flaky skin.
    Helpful in the treatment of Dandruff and dull hair.
    Relieve the symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis and Diabetes Mellitus.
    Flax can alleviate some allergies.
    Helps prevent Atherosclerosis.
    Flax seed lowers blood pressure in Hypertension suffers.
    Scientifically proven to treat some cases of depression.
    Great for people suffering from MS, Cerebral Palsy, Arthritis, Lupus, Diabetes, Poor Circulation, Parkinson's Disease, Fibromyalgia, and ANYONE!
  2. BethM

BethM New Member

I've been using ground flax seeds for several months, and have gradually noticed a positive difference in my overall health. Still have FMS junk going on, this is not a cure-all, but I believe it boosts most body functions. Those Omega-3's are very good for the body/brain/digestive system. I've definitely noticed improvement in my skin and hair. In fact, my hair is growing so fast those icky grey roots are noticeable after only about 3 weeks, and I have to re-do the color. (uh, oh, I'm giving away secrets here...) Just make sure you use GROUND FLAX SEED MEAL, either buy it ground or grind it yourself. We can't digest the hard seed coat on the whole seed, so they will pass right through the GI tract.

Peace,
    Beth.
  3. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Brillient post, i`m in England and will be looking out for it.
    Many thanks
  4. jaster45

jaster45 New Member

It is truly a superfood!

Jaster45