What is FM/ CFS called in the uk?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rose38716, Sep 4, 2003.

  1. rose38716

    rose38716 New Member

    Hey just wondering reading a
    book based in london..It's called postards from Berlin by Margaret Leroy.............THANKS Deb
  2. jacqui_k

    jacqui_k New Member

    It's the same in uk, my aunts have fm and their dd was fibromyalgia, as for the cfs I think it used to be called the yuppy syndrome, or something similar, but I think the brits have also started to call it cfs in recent years.

    Hope this is some help to you.

  3. rose38716

    rose38716 New Member

  4. tansy

    tansy New Member

    various names throughout the years. Most people diagnosed with Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome (PVFS), Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)have the same illness. But just to confuse matters a few doctors will use each of these for different presentations of the illness. My GP uses PVFS to keep clear of the somatisation theory since mine was post operative/infective and I have immune problems.

    FM is usually referred to as FMS, but is not diagnosed as often as it should be. The critieria for FM is included in that for CFS so if fatigue is present CFS is frequently diagnosed.

    FM seems less well recognised in the Uk and the general advice seems to be for exercise.