What is Herx ing?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lebra, Aug 3, 2003.

1. lebra

lebra New Member

I do not wish to sound stupid but what is Herxing?
    [This Message was Edited on 08/03/2003]
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There are no stupid question and you do not sound stupid. This question comes up all the time, because if you have never heard about Herxing, there is no way you would know what it is. Our members are very generous in providing info, so never be afraid to ask questions. Someone will always come along with an answer.

The Herxheimer Effect, or Herxing, happens when a large number of pathogens are killed off in the body. It makes a person feel as though he or she has the flu with aching, diarrhea, a sensation of burning in parts of the body, and a lot of other problems. There are two theories of what produces a Herx.

One theory says it's the dead pathogens which become toxic before they can be excreted through the kidneys and intestines.

Another theory says it's actually the body's own immune system producing these symptoms as it goes on a killing spree.

I believe it's most likely a combination of the two.

I hope this helps.

Love, Mikie
  3. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

I've wondered about this myself. And how the term came about. Your answer explains a lot of my unexplained symptoms.
    Love and blessings
    Mar
  4. Jinx69

Jinx69 New Member

Mikie, thanx for the advice. How about this: I've started a whey protein. Prior to that I've been feeling quite well. Now, I'm very fluish, nauseated, diarrhea, a temp of 100, then it goes down to 97, nerve pain everywhere, extreme tiredness, extreme sweating and extreme nasal stuffiness. Sound like a good herx? I don't usually get this bad.

I started to take the whey protein to boost my immune system after chemo for cancer.

Thanks for listening. Sure appreciate this.

Blessings,
    Jiinx
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I would not be surprised if it were a Herx. The ingredients in the colostrum, whey, and transfer factor all "program" the immune system to go after pathogens. I always Herx when I go off the ABX and the Famvir as my own immune systems now goes after pathogens with a vengeance. I take the colostrum and whey and they have caused my own immune system to become much more active than it used to be. I'm sure the ABX and Famvir have helped my immune system do it's work, but I'm glad it is getting stronger.

BTW, y'all, as you probably have alread guesses, Herxheimer is the name of the individual who identified this effect.

Love, Mikie