What is herxing???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tigger5, Dec 2, 2005.

1. tigger5

tigger5 New Member

I finally had to ask....I've got a few guesses but, being a perfectionist, I just have to know or it will bug me forever! :)
  2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

for tigger

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Herxing happens after massive numbers of pathogens have been killed off in the body. They turn toxic before the body can excrete them. The body then purges them by producing profuse sweating, diarrhea, and/or nausea.

Leading up to the actual Herx may be an immune response with swollen lymph nodes, sore throat, headache, fatigue, aches and pains, and feeling fluish. There may be a slight fever as well. This happens when the immune system goes on alert that a foreign substance or pathogen is in the body. It is revving up for a kill.

There isn't always an immune reaction before the Herx hits. There can be an immune reaction but no Herx if the body is able to excrete the dead pathogens before they turn toxic.

Hope this helps.

Love, Mikie
  4. goaska29

goaska29 New Member

I was totally confused when I first saw that too. I thought it was a funny way to people say they were "hurting"....silly me.

Anyways, will some research I learned that it was named for the doctor who discovered this response by the body named Johannes Herxheimer. There's some jeopardy info for ya ;)!

GoAskAlice
  5. jane32

jane32 New Member

How long does it last before the Herx?
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We have different infections, in different stages of infection, and different treatments. The immune response stage can last a long time. Herxing itself can be very hard on a body and if it is too strong, the treatment needs to be scaled back a notch. It is possible to get a toxic-shock-like reaction if too many pathogens are killed at once.

Some ABX are only effective when the pathogens have killed their host cells and enter the bloodsteam in search of new cells to infect. At that time, the pathogens will starve to death in the bloodstream and can cause a Herx. If one has been infected many years, the killoff can be massive and cause a big Herx. When I started taking the Doxycycline, I Herxed on the third day. I Herx hard and fast and am usually over it in 24-48 hrs. Then, I feel better.

With the TF's, the immune response lasted more than a month and I felt horrible until my system adjusted. Now that I only pulse them every six weeks, I usually have a mild immune response and my usual fast, hard Herx. Pulsing the TF's keeps them boosted and keeps my own immune system killing pathogens on its own.

Love, Mikie