What is herxing???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JonAnne, Jan 31, 2007.

1. JonAnne

JonAnne New Member

Can someone explain this word to me? Thanks, Anne
  2. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

discovered that when a cure is discovered that the patient often feels worse before they feel better.

So when you try a remedy and your symptoms get worse: you're Herxing.
  3. cbs1234

cbs1234 New Member

That's a pretty simplistic explanation of herxing. Feeling worse when trying a remedy can also be the sign of a serious side effect of the proposed remedy. Jonanne--don't believe just because you feel worse when taking a proposed remedy that it is herxing. Just look at the threads for levaquin. If I had chalked up my problems while on levaquin to "feeling worse, before feeling better", I would be dead right now.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/31/2007]
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is a result of killing off too large a number of pathogens so that the body cannot excrete them before they become toxic to the body. When one takes a med or treatment designed to cause a dieoff, the pathogens will often become more active and this can cuase an immune reaction. Treatments, like transfer factors, designed to activate the immune system, can cause an immune reaction. In this phase, one can feel fluish, have body aches and pains, experience swollen lymph nodes and feel exhaused, often with a headache.

If the dead pathogens become toxic to the body, the body will try to purge them through profuse sweating, diarrhea, and/or vomiting. This is the second phase of the whole process.

After Herxing, one usually feels better; thus, "It has to get worse before it gets better." People often equate the immune response and Herxing to an allergy to the med. Unfortunately, docs seldom explain Herxing to patients when they prescribe meds designed to cause dieoff of pathogens.

If anyone has questions about a reaction to any treatment, it is a good idea to contact one's doc. When one has been on these meds as long as I have, it is relatively easy to spot an immune response and Herx coming on. I welcome them because it means the treatment is working and I will feel better once those little beasties are dead and gone.

Hope this helps you.

Love, Mikie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

6. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I was just wondering how you are doing?
    Hope your weather is staying there in the 80's,

Sunny Ca dosen't feel like it anymore, and my body feels like it was back in Idaho, its been so cold.

I have a Riddle for you,

Being we both live on opposite Coast's but still share a lot of weather and Palmtrees.

So do you know when
    Miami is in Ca?

When CSI Miami is being filmed in Long Beach Ca, down in the area called, Belmont Shores.
    I thought I had caught some of the area's here, being shown as places where you live. lol,

I grew up down in the Beach area, and know it by Heart.
    So I get a big kick out of knowing, that the Bay area they just showed in a epsoide, is actully where I spent my Happy Day's. lol

Are you still getting the Red Tide there, that is really what I wanted to ask , lol, I do get sidetracked.
    When I was at my Dr.s office, (ID) I asked her if she thought that swimmming in the Ocean with that Red Tide, caused Illness down the road.

She felt there might be something to it, as most of my Classmates, are having some serious illness,
    I sure think so, we have lost so many at such a young age, makes you wonder.

Hoping your doing well,
    sharonk
    [This Message was Edited on 02/03/2007]
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I hope you are feeling well too. I, like the weather, am up and down these days. I'm about 30 miles south of where the storms came shore which triggered the tornados inland. Because the storm was traveling SW to NE, the damage was to the NE of us here. It caused heartbreaking deaths and damage. Our weather will be in the low 80's for a couple of days and then drop into the 60's. This is very unusual for this time of year.

I always figured there was some area in CA where Miami is portrayed. Miami has gotten a lot of exposure with the Super Bowl and "CSI Miami." I love to visit over there but like living on the West Coast of FL better. It's less crowded over here for the time being but I like the Atlantic better than the Gulf, which I consider a sewer.

Sanibel Island has all kinds of algae which washed ashore, two feet deep in places. It's not toxic like the Red Tide but it stinks and makes a mess on the beach. I haven't been to the beach since before my gallbladder surgery.

I'm still trying to heal but it's been one thing after another for about the last year and it's just going to take time. It's been a big setback in my recovery.

Thanks so much for asking how I'm doing. It's good to hear from you and I hope and pray you are doing well.

Love, Mikie
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

9. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

Sorry I didn't get back to you, as I did want to ask how your GB recovery is going?
    Do you have a numb feeling around the incision?
    I know they make them smaller than when I had mine, and I still have a numbness around the scar.

Plus I developed some TrPs, that are from scar tissue.

So I am hoping that your Recovery will be swift, and complete,
    They say Spring is just around the corner, hoping both of Us are well by then.

I see the ID at the end of the month, hoping for a good report, altho, my Ear and sinus's are still plugged up.
    I am sick of taking the ABX's, lol, ugh!

btw, I didn't even know that there was a torndao, that hit Florida, We were reall concern as 1 of my newphews live in Jacksonville, ..
    I understand they were safe,

So glad you are too.

have a great day,
    sharonk
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've been off the board as I've been up in Atlanta with my kids and grandson (new pic in profile :)

It's so dry and cold up there that I came home with sinus stuffiness. Andy has developed a little bit of eczema on his upper arms from the dryness. They had just returned from CO where is is really dry. After my root canal, I developed an infection in my sinuses on that side and had to have another round of ABX. I was sick of them too but they produced a huge Herx, so they must have caused a big dieoff of beasties.

I don't know what TrP's are--duh! I do know that almost everyone, including me, has a much easier time with the new laparoscopy surgery for gb removal. My top scar, in the middle just below my breasts, is only about an inch wide. The one just below my navel is about 1 1/2 inches (the doc did it there so I could put my navel ring back in). I didn't think I would miss it as I'm an old lady and no one ever sees it. After a week without it, I felt as though something were missing and I put it back in. I have two tiny incisions along the right side which are so small that they can't be seen. There is no numbness. I think when there is, it's because the docs have cut a small nerve in the area.

It's been three months now and I finally feel as though I'm healed. Before that, whenever I would take a deep breath or sneeze, there would be pain deep inside. Now, I don't have that. I am starting to feel better, little by little and hope to finally be back on the road to healing. I hope and pray the same for you. Take care.

Love, Mikie