What is left that is safe?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AuntTammie, Feb 26, 2009.

1. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Seriously, if you really try to avoid all the things that might cause us problems, there is almost nothing left that is safe. I really try not to be paranoid or alarmist, but I am getting kind of upset and frustrated by this, and as someone who spent 20 years battling an eating disorder (& has been recovered for almost 6), this is NOT helping. I am really trying to eat right to feel as well as possible and to keep my weight from going up & up & up from all the illness related issues that make it hard to maintain a healthy weight. From everything I've read/researched lately, these are all things to avoid:

Meat (I am a vegetarian, but I have read lately that meat is not healthy due to fluoride, along with other reasons)
    Fish (mercury and fluoride)
    Seafood (various contaminants)
    Dairy (can increase FM pain, GI issues, etc)
    Gluten (GI issues and insensitivities, even if not outright Celiac's)
    Grains (Candida)
    Sugar, inc fruit and starchy veggies (Candida and blood sugar issues, fruits also possible fluoride)
    Sugar substitutes (various health issues)
    High fructose corn syrup (mercury and other health issues)
    Trans fats (clog arteries, etc)
    Water (plastic issues with bottled, contaminants and fluoride with tap)
    Juice (Candida, blood sugar, fluoride)
    Nightshades, like tomatoes, peppers, egg plant, and potatoes (can increase FM pain)
    Mushrooms (Candida)
    Things made with yeast (Candida)(also wine can have fluoride)
    Some meds and supplements (fluoride and other additives like talc and sodium lauryl sulfate)
    Possibly soy (the jury is still out on this one)
    Processed foods (all sorts of issues with these)
    Oils except olive and coconut (not heart healthy)
    Caffeine (various reasons, not recommended for people with FM and ME/CFS)
    Tea (fluoride)

Oh, and even taking a shower can expose us to things like fluoride and other contaminants.

Then there's places with mold to avoid, plastics and aluminum to avoid, most anything with fragrance added (for many of us), other chemicals (like carpet and paint)...and ticks and mosquitoes (but the repellents are not safe either)....and then of course, there are the outdoor allergens...(and for some people even things like cleaners, deodorants with aluminum, shampoos and toothpaste, but at least there are some good, inexpensive alternatives to those). And for a lot of us, meds in general cause problems.

And new clothes should always be washed before wearing because the material is often treated with melamine.

So, looking over this list, what is left that is safe?

2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I think we really just need to not freak out about everything that's "out there". There are dangers around every corner. I think we have to pick and choose the lesser of two evils. A lot of things chosen to put in your body are not only based on personal choice but also how you react to them.

I can easily get grossed out over certain foods. I eat them, as long as I don't think about them. Weird, huh? I just read an article today on msn that listed 7 things we wouldn't want to know about that is in common foods. YUCK.

Caffeine wasn't safe, caffeine is safe - chocolate, bad- chocolate good. Either way, I don't think it's gonna kill ya. It's all about moderation anyway.

Good list that proves a good point - but I don't let myself worry about this kind of stuff.

BTW- I battled and WON the fight against an eating disorder as well, many years ago. One of my greatest accomplishments - as it should be yours as well! I remind myself of what strength that took and it always pumps me up.
    Congratulations to you for conquering an incredibly hard thing to live with and overcome.
    Janalynn
    [This Message was Edited on 02/26/2009]
  3. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

People with FM have been known to react to the things on your list -- and more!

But NOT everyone has trouble with everything on your list, in moderation. A few of us feel we do best with a fairly limited diet. But many will find that their pain is triggered by one or two food groups. For others, food may not be a problem at all.

The point is, fibro is a disease of homogeneous symptoms due to heterogeneous causes. In soft tissue pain symptoms that are similiar in two people may be due to a different set of causes in each person. If you think about it, not at all unusual in the world of medicine. There can be different triggers for headache, different causes of stomach problems, etc.

Keeping a pain journal that logs foods, activities, events,etc. is a great idea for tracking down triggers. If dietary elimination is attempted, a journal is indispensible.

For those who find that chlorines & fluorides are definite triggers of pain & flares, I recommend on the basis of personal experience that a complete thyroid panel be run. Whereas tea used to send me into a total flare within 20 min. -- to the extent that I was barely able to walk, since improving my thyroid hormone status, I am now able to tolerate a cup of tea (not strong tea) without the flare occurring.

It's easy to panic about possible causes, or to take the approach that, since everything is possibly harmful, why bother trying to eliminate anything. Between the extremes, however, is a thoughtful, observant approach that is gentle to both mind & body. An approach that admits that -- perhaps -- there is something I can do with diet that will be helpful. And then setting about, in a calm & gentle way, one item at a time, to try to discover what that particular food might be.

Best wishes.
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

glad that you enjoyed my list and thanks for the suggestions
  5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

thanks for your response, and for the encouragement re: beating the eating disorder
  6. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I can get grossed out by some foods, too, even foods that I normally like....I was just talking to a friend about this....it does seem odd, but i can usually deal with it, too...and you are rt about moderation - I just started getting a bit overwhlemed

also, congrats on beating an eating disorder, too...your are rt - that took a ton of strength
  7. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Thanks for your response....it was helpful, esp this part....

"It's easy to panic about possible causes, or to take the approach that, since everything is possibly harmful, why bother trying to eliminate anything. Between the extremes, however, is a thoughtful, observant approach that is gentle to both mind & body. An approach that admits that -- perhaps -- there is something I can do with diet that will be helpful. And then setting about, in a calm & gentle way, one item at a time, to try to discover what that particular food might be."

you are very rt!