What is left to eat and drink?!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Plantscaper, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

WELL, OK I given up the sugar, the nutrasweet, alcohol, etc. and even the fruit juices due to insulin resistance..and now, have to give up my treasured cup of joe, what is left? It has been found to have antioxidants, as well as teas, and may turn out to a health food in disguise..anything's possible..Green Tea, the touted tonic, contains caffeine, too! As for food, nothing is permissible except low carb veggies and meat..have to sneak in the whole wheat bread, cause even that is questionable.. Whomever, designed these diseases, had a wicked mind! Oh well, just felt like b****ing today! LOL, AMELIA
  2. Debgene56

Debgene56 New Member

Just today I found out I need to be on a anti yeast diet. What I ate the most of is on the list to avoid. No wonder I am sick!..I am overwhelmed by this, it is going to be so hard. I don't even know where to begin. I can't even eat baked beans and hotdogs, one of my favorites!! I can do anything though if there is a light at the end of the rainbow. What do you drink? I am glad you posted this site. Deb
  3. Dayle

Dayle New Member

for 2 months & using the guiafenesin protocol. I can now have some sugar w/o getting those shaky symptoms of hypoglycemia. My problem is once I start eating sugar I can't stop. Someone please turn me off(heehee). It is nice to have some choices again. Just wanted to encourage all those on low-carb, it does get better. Stay with it D.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Our food needn't be boring. The Suzanne Somers books are full of yummy recipes and some desserts are even permitted in Level I. Her latest book has fast and easy recipes.

You can order SomerSweet from her website and her dessert cookbook has directions for using the Somersweet in the recipes.

Stop at the bookstore and look through her books. BTW, I drink decaf and have adjusted well to it. I make chai out of decaf green tea which is delicious.

Love, Mikie
  5. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

I guess just water
  6. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

I am so tired of this DD and this strict diet I will join you b****ing today! All I eat is chicken, fish, eggs, veggies (but not starchy ones) a little fruit, and drink water and herb tea. I also sneak in a piece of whole wheat bread once in awhile because I can! Ha! It is such a sterile diet and I am sick to death of it but don't dare go off it. I was so sick before I found out why and I won't go back there again intentionally! But like you I just wanted to vent and now I feel better. I read Mikie's message and had already bought Suzanne's latest book out of desperation for an expanded diet. I need to get on the stick and order some of her products so I can enjoy desserts, etc. once in awhile. Here's to better days for all of us.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have found low-carb bagels and bread at my local health food store. Each slice of bread only has 3 grams of carbs and half a bagel only has 7.

Love, Mikie
  8. VickyB

VickyB New Member

I like cream cheese and shredded cheese mixed with tuna on low carb crackers. YUMY!! Even my kids like it. Let me know if this is acceptable on the diet (it seems everything is off limits)
    Good luck, Vicky
  9. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

You can't have all the complex carbos that should be healthy but are not because of the insulin resistance..I really prefer carbohydrates to MEAT..I have been on this diet, now, for about 8 years and I have gotten to the point that I am sick of meat..if I could raise my own fresh vegetables right from the garden, I could deal with this diet a lot better..so my goal is to move from this extremely high altitude to a area that that is possible..I have no problem with a good healthy diet..making my own bread (which I do now and restrict it to once/day), staying off everything processed, but I would like to be on a more conventional healthy diet like most health nuts propose..I feel much better when I stay off all the badies, but I want to be able to eat complex carbohydrates and one cup of gourmet coffee...LOL, AMELIA
  10. healing

healing New Member

Try Splenda sugar substitute -- it's altered sugar that's perfectly safe, no cal/carb, tastes like sugar, and it's safe for those with insulin resistance, unlike Equal, the stuff in the blue envelopes, which is Aspertame. Aspertame is what's used to sweeten most soft drinks and it can cause an increase in insulin; Diet Rite has Splenda in it, and it has no caffeine either.

I am surprised you can't tolerate any of the complex carbs like brown rice. Usually that's safe in moderation for those with insulin resistance.

I try to stay on Atkins (except that I'm on a crazy diet for allergies right now and recovering from gallbladder surgery so protein isn't doing it for me at the moment) which is great for insulin resistance. His Atkins Center website has lots of good recipes.

Also, there are a lot of low carb websites out there -- Synergy is one of the best -- that sell pretty tasty low carb foods, including breads, bread mixes, sweet stuff, etc. Look around on the web and you'll find lots of things to keep your diet interesting.

11. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

THE JURY IS STILL OUT ON THE SAFETY OF SPLENDA-SEE POSSIBLE TOXICITY PROBLEMS ON THE INTERNET..to this point, most people have sung the praises of stevia, hopefully, that will be safe..but it is not used very often..and I need to be able to chew sugarless gum because of Sjogren's to have saliva..to prevent further root canals, etc. so I am going to have to find some other alternative..Does anyone know of other sugarless gum substitutes that are safe..I HAVE NOT HEARD ABOUT SWEETn LOw recently, is that as harmful as aspartame?
  12. Shirl

Shirl New Member

It is a herbal plant, so it should be as safe as you can get.

As for the sugarless gum, try a health food store they may have some made with Stevia instead of the other stuff.

Heres a good coffee subsitute; 'Roma' put out by; 'Natural Touch', can be bought at most health food stores. It really tastes like coffee, I kid you not!

Its made from; roasted malt barley with chicory.

I had to quit coffee too, but now that I have stopped the pot a day, I am now able to have a cup in the morning without the cravings.

Shalom, Shirl