What is MCS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Staceymarie, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Staceymarie

Staceymarie New Member

Sorry guys....I keep seeing this all over the place and was just curious! Thanks
  2. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Multiple Chemical Sensitivity

Basically, for me anyway, allergic to everything under the sun - hairspray, cleaning fluids, newspaper ink, etc.etc, etc.

Lynn
  3. Staceymarie

Staceymarie New Member

Do you find that you are just allergic to things during a flare up? When my FM flares up, everything bothers me...sound, bright lights, the smell of any and all cleaners make my head feel weird. But when I go in "remission" (lol) it all seems to go away until the next flareup. Can anyone else relate???
    Stacey
  4. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Hmmm. everything you mentioned always bothers me.
    I haven't felt well for over 9 months though. I do know
    one time when I was really really bad (like being
    bedridden for 9 months isn't) smells did bother
    me more. However, like I said, I am very sensitive to light, sounds, noises, etc. Always have been.
    I wear sunglasses when it's cloudy!

Lynn
  5. Jen F

Jen F New Member

my tolerance for chemicals/smells increases.

Other times it becomes worse and my tolerance goes way down.

One doctor explained to me it can be related to your total toxic or allergen load.

For example, if you get hayfever, you may notice in the summer when you are dealing with pollen allergies you may be more sensitive to perfumes etc, because your total LOAD on your ? immune system? is higher.

For me, if I am around less chemicals and toxins generally, I sometimes can tolerate a little perfume here and there.

But, if I were around some cigarrette smoke for awhile, for example, I might have more trouble with things like sitting in the gas station while a car is being filled with gas, I'll be gasping to get the heck out of there.

does this make sense? clear up anyting for you?

Jen
  6. Staceymarie

Staceymarie New Member

I've never heard that it could be a result of FM/CFS, but it sure makes sense. My sinus' are always going nuts...year round too. Thanks for the info.

Stacey