What is ME?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 1horse, Dec 1, 2005.

1. 1horse

1horse New Member

i KNOW WHAT FM, MS, CFS, WHAT IS ME.. THANKS pEGGY
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

they call CFS, ME in England. I forget what the ME stands for but there is another message about it.

(-:
    Sue
  3. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

ME stands for myalgic encephalopathy or myalgic encephalomyelitis. It is just another name for CFS/FM. It tends to be more used in countries like UK and Australia.

I use it when people ask me what is wrong with me (I'm Aust.) because I got sick and tired of the reaction to telling people I had cfs. So often, the response was something like, "I get so tired too" or "I wish I had time to get that." I think the term tends to make people think that the condition is a real one - which it is.

The term covers that fact that the disease affects things like the nerves, the muscles and brain function. It also tends to create an awareness of the similarites between ME and MS. However, I am not saying that ME is as bad as MS.
  4. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

jfrustrated, you are SO right. People don't get it. I think if they had just not given CFS a name in our common tongue, english, that it would be an easier label to wear.

Just today my doctor kept saying I am "tired." I'll break him of that soon enough. He's new to practicing medicine, so I figure that I am softening him up for every person of serrious illness who comes after me.