What is Molybdenum Krebs?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LittleBluestem, Jun 7, 2006.

1. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

After searching three cities, I finally found some supplemental molybdenum about a month ago. I have been starting some other things since. I don’t want to start anything new if anyone is expecting anything of me that day or the next day. Last Friday I finally got the molybdenum started.

I swallowed down one 500 mcg. capsule and came in to the computer to read the info I had collected on molybdenum and find out what dose I would be working up to. (O.K., there may be a problem with my process here.) I found that doses ranged for 25 to 150 mcg. with a daily maximum of 300 mcg.

Different people were taking different types of molybdenum, so I decided to see what mine is. It says it is 500 mcg. Molybdenum from Molybdenum Krebs (Citrate, Fumarate, Malate, Glutarate and Succinate Complex). It says to take one capsule daily.

I checked the website of the manufacturer, Douglas Laboratories. They did not have much information about uses or dosage. They also have 250 mcg. molybdenum product, which also says to take one a day, but it is an amino acid chelate. So is 500 mcg. Molybdenum Kerbs equal to 250 mcg. molybdenum chelate?

Unfortunately, the article about using molybdenum to combat candida without creating a lot of toxins does not even say what type of molybdenum he was using. It does mention the people 'sucking or chewing' the molybdenum, so it wasn't a capsule.

It does say that the upper intake limit for molybdenum is 2,000 mcg. daily. I assume this pertains to normals. We all know how great we CFSers are at over-reacting to just about anything and I am a small person, as well.

I didn’t have any strong reaction to the stuff on Friday. On Saturday and Sunday, I was very low on energy and my tinnitus was really loud. I was better by Monday, somewhat sub-par that day and the next. Then I did something else last night that may have caused me to feel worse today.

I thought about opening the capsules and taking just part of the contents. When I tried, I found that the capsules had been sealed at one end so that they cannot be pulled apart. I could cut them with a knife, but am apt to lose part of the contents that way.

So ... I have no idea if it is safe to take 500 mcg. of this stuff a day. I have no idea if it is safe to take 500 mcg. of this stuff at one time. I have no idea if this will even do what I was expecting. In short I am clueless. Can anyone clue me in?
  2. LittleBluestem

The last time I took one, I felt pretty wiped-out for a couple of days. My parents are having some relatives visit next week and are expecting help from me, so I don't want to take any more right now.

Later, I will try one more whole one. If it does me in for two days again, I will buy some empty capsule and cut some of them in two. Whatever dose I start with, it will probably have to be one every two or three days to start.

After all of the trouble I went to gettng this molybdenum, it is just so frustrating to have it not be what others have been taking. I don't understand why it is such a high dose.
  3. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

The Krebs cycle is the process in the body whereby energy is made and carbohydrates and proteins, and maybe fats are broken down and turned to energy on the cellular level. It looks like your product has different forms of molybdenum which might aid the krebs cycle in different ways.

As far as amount, from what I have read, it is best to limit molybdenum to about 160 mcg a day. Perhaps if you have a deficiency you could take more. Or perhaps since this product has it in different forms, you can take more. They must think you can take higher dosages or they wouldn't sell it as 500 mcg.

Molybdenum may be important to those of us who have candida. It may als be important to those of us who are depleted in glutathione--which is probably most of us. Glutathione is a sulfur based molecule. Molybdenum deficiency may cause difficulties in sulfur synthesis--google sulfuration or sulfur oxidation and molybdenum.

I avoid grains--gluten sensitivity--so don't get the molybdenum I need, so must supplement.

Have you had any testing of minerals to see if you are deficient in molybdenum?

Blessings to you. Jen102
  4. winsomme

winsomme New Member

there is a nutritional company called Kirkman that sells a molybdenum product.

www.kirkman.com

look under their minerals section.

thanks
    bill
  5. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

If you can tolerate 500 mcg then I don't see any reason not to take it.

I tried molybdenum and could barely tolerate a microdose. My 500 mcg caps were easy to open and I couldn't seem to take a tiny enough amount w/out getting a wopping headache. The headache was resistant to anything to treat it and lasted all day, so I threw it out. I have multiminerals w/ 50 mcg of molybdenum or less, and I tolerate it fine in a combo product. For some strange reason I'm like that w/ calcium and magnesium too, can't take it alone, but in combo its fine.

jeanne
  6. LittleBluestem

Jen102,
    I have not been tested. I tried to take probiotic and had a negative reaction that suggested that I have a much worse candida proliferation than I suspected. I found an article that said molybdenum taken at 100 mg. three times a day would clear up candida without herxing. It did not say what type of molybdenum.

I found this 500 mg. Molybdenum Kerbs to be too much for me even once a day. I considered opening the capsules and mixing a small amount with food. When I saw that the company had made the effort to seal the capsules, I thought maybe taking it that way wasn’t such a good idea. If I have to split them, I will repackage each half in a new capsule (which I have to purchase out-of-town).

bill,
    I will check out Kirkman. I live in a very rural area, so finding a retail outlet can be a problem.

Jeanne,
    I will have to make some more trials to see if/how much of it I can tolerate. I hope I can handle at least 250 mg once a day. I would hate to have to split the capsules more than that. I need to find a time when I can afford to be non-functional for a couple of days before taking it again, just in case.
  7. winsomme

winsomme New Member

i didn't see your reply. sorry about that.

kirkman will deliver to your house. order over the internet or call their tollfree number.

i have had good luck with some of their products.

i'm very interested in molybdenum to treat candida. i am going to look into this.

thanks
    bill