WHAT IS MPS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rosiebud, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I see it on posts but dont know what it stands for.

Thanks
    Rosie
  2. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

It stands for 'myofascial pain syndrome'. It's not an easy thing to explain, so I'd suggest you do some reading and research on it. You'll find info here, by plugging it into the search engine, and there is a huge amount of info in Devin Starlnyl's books, too!

It goes hand in hand with Fibro, but is the pain you have from the myofascial part of your body-like the skin that is on the chicken? Instead of the fibrous, muscular pain that you get with fibro. They are two distint pain syndromes. I hope that helps, but like I said, do some research. I have read a lot and it's still a little fuzzy to me! Good luck! PG
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I've had a quick look on google and I dont understand what it is either but at least I know what it stands for now.

love
    Rosie
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

you've explained it better than the sites I looked at.

The injections must be quite painful but if they help then it must be worth it.

love
    Rosie
  5. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Is a constant burning pain .. aching as well .. in a specific part of the body ( the lower part of my skull and back of my neck) is this MPS ? .. I've tried searching on the net but I find it confusing .. any info appreciated !
    Fudge : )
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

know if its part of fibro or what it is?

love
    Rosie
  7. orachel

orachel New Member

that this helps.

FM is a syndrome/disorder located somehow in the brain...we don't know if its the brain stem, which affects the mitochondira and the neurotransmitters or what, but somehow is a disorder of the central nervous system. FM has "tenderpoints"...when they do the FM test, they're looking for tenderness on palpation (with enough pressure to make the fingernail start to turn white) in 11 of 18 "tenderpoints". If you have this, and don't test postitive for any other illnesses that mask as FM, then you have FM. Some people have FM alone.

MPS is a little different. It is a disease of the musculature system. What is affected is the Myofascia...if you look at a skinless chicken breast, you can often feel the filmy sticky layer on top of the "muscle" of the breast. We have that sticky layer, too. This is the myofascia. The myofascia can become ill due to many factors. When this happens the normal sticky stuff can become liquified, or even hardened. This stuff can contract, and cause extreme muscular pain. When this happens (associated with stress, or physical injury or strain, or bad posture...or even "pain guarding" such as limping or holding your head a certain way to stop FM pain from hurting), the myofascia forces the muscle into an unnatural postition, or just contracts it....this is called a "trigger point". Trigger points are ONLY associated with MPS...though many docs refer to trigger points in FM. In fact, many docs think they're the same thing. According to Devin Starlanyl and Dr. Pelligrino, and many others in the forefront of FM and MPS treatment, this is just totally inaccurate.

Trigger points in MPS if not treated correctly (can be treated with bodywork...massage and acupuncture, or with trigger point shots <which don't work for some people like me>...can branch off, and therefore create secondary trigger points, and so on.....

Again, FM is a disorder of the brain, and MPS is a disorder of the musculature system....totally different things. However, when you have both, like I do...they are more than double the trouble...here's why.

I can consistantly "work" my trigger points (for instance, I have really bad triggere points from MPS in my sternocleidomastoid muscles in my neck/shoulders....which have created other trigger points in my jaw, upper arms, etc so now I have pain in all of those places..) but while I can get very temporary relief, I cannot get RID of the triggerpoints permanantly until my FM pain is under control. This is because my FM pain causes me to use pain guarding behavior.....clenching my jaw, for instance. The FM pain won't allow me to relax my muscles..this, along with the stress of being disabled from pain, will constantly cause my Triggerpoints from MPS to recur. Its a viscious cycle! LOL

The only way to get lasting relief, according to Devin Starlanyl and others, is to get you PAIN UNDER CONTROL and your STRESS UNDER CONTROL. Once your pain is at a manageable level, and you're not stressed to the max, you literally hold your body in a different way...more relaxed. This allows many methods of body work such as massage, stress reductions, acupuncture, etc to PERMANANTLY get rid of triggerpoints of MPS until the stress or pain guarding returns. Does that make sense?

Docs often think they're the same as they cause similar symptoms....totally untrue. With MPS, you can often feel "lumps" in your muscles where they've tightened due to the illness in the myofascia (again, that covering of the muscles)...these lumps go away when you've gotten your pain under control, and begin a course of effective bodywork.

For instance...this is why I could push myslef and push myself in aquatic therapy...very mild, and still got absolutely zero benefit from it...even though all docs say exercise is the "cure" to this. Yes, physical movement and soft stretching is key, but it willnot begin to eliminate trigger points permanantly, and thus begin to make long term improvement possible, until your pain levels are at a manageable level.

Devin Starlanyl's book "FM and Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome" is where I got a lot of my information, also her "FM Advocate" and "Inside Fibromyalgia" by Dr. Pelligrino.

Hope this helps! I'm living proof of it! I finally got methadone, decent pain relief yesterday. Today, I've been doing self massage with topical analgesics, and can almost feel the "lumps" from mps fading away...though it will take much much more work!

Health to all!
    Rachel
  8. orachel

orachel New Member

Aching burning pain in lower back of head and neck sounds like sternocleidomastoid trigger points from mps...if they're allowed to go untreated, they'll most likely branch off into your jaw and shoulders and upper arms. Starlanyl describes this phenomenon exactly....I have them too...Sucks! But fixable!
  9. orachel

orachel New Member

...Some docs in the forefront of FM and MPS treatment actually do what is called Triggerpoint Mapping...where they'll be able to show you exactly what trigger points are active...your main trigger points, then able to show you where they've branched off into secondary trigger points...and so on...reactive trigger points, etc...

I haven't found a doc to do this yet, but I'm very anxious to see it. From what I understand, its amazing. They can show you exactly where your triggerpoints are, and what behaviors are causing them, then tell you what areas of bodywork you need to get worked on first! Isn't that cool?

And also...I've had triggerpoint shots...they don't work for me at all. From what I understand, they're either INCREDIBLY effective, like poster above who had 95% improvement, or not at all. Unfortunately I'm stuck with the slow and steady route, as they just don't work for me. Blech! LOL
  10. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

thanks for explanation but I'm still confused.

How do you know if it's fibro or MPS? I have CFS and Fibro - I have that pain in back of neck, also I have a large swelling at back of neck that is painful and comes and goes.

I'm going to read your post all over again once I have my dinner and my brain picks up (UK - its dinner time)

Thanks
    Rosie
    [This Message was Edited on 11/12/2005]
  11. orachel

orachel New Member

....Really only a doc can tell you, and it has to be the doc that understands the difference between them. Often you can look at a pic of the tenderpoints in FM, and if you have pain in other areas, good chance you have MPS....Also, if you have a reaction to massage or bodywork, I'm pretty sure that's indicative of MPS....MPS triggerpoints can be worked out...fm cannot.

Hope that helped!
  12. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

... It is so validating when some one else says they have and KNOW what you are trying to describe .. thanks Rosie ! .. and Orachel the information was what I needed to bolster me for a discussion with my GP on the 22nd of this month .. it is going to be a real head banger trying to fill her in after she has been away on maternity leave since Feb ..
    My scatter brain is going to be totally in control .. but I know others write down all their issues and even though I'm embarrassed to do a "laundry list" of complaints, I know I have to take responsibility for myself and what is going on with my body .. slighty downhill speed again.
    My doctor actually did say at one point .. write what you need to know ! ... so it will be a LIST .. haha
    Thanks again for the input and information .. I'll try to get myself organized and really get down to the nitty gritty ... good grief Charlie Brown this is going to be a hum dinger of an appointment ! haha

Fudge in a Fog ! : )
  13. orachel

orachel New Member

Take a list of meds, when taken and how much, include supplements, etc.

Take a list of what you've already been diagnosed with, as well as a list of every single one of your symptoms. I used an asterick next to the symptoms that are the worst for me...affect my life the most. Then I put a percentage such as 20% for the amount of time these things bother me.

And finally, I write a list of each and every site of pain I get, and what type of pain it is.

I also list the treatments I've tried, whether or not they were successful, and any i'm interested in discussing.

I also indicate any allergies or meds I've not responded well to.

And finally...I make a list of what I need out of the appointment...such as refills of klonopin and wellbutrin, off work note, and copies of most recent medical records...referral to sleep doctor...stronger pain meds...whatever you hope to get out of the appointment.

I literally won't let the doc leave...will follow him out of the room if I have to, until I have resolved the items on my list. If you take all of that info, or better yet fax to the doc a few days before (then still take a copy), you should be able to free up more time in the appointment to talk about things you'd like to try regarding treatment, rather than catching up on your symptoms...

Just a suggestion, but when I did this for the first time yesterday (been refining the process for a few mos...finally hit on the right balance of info...that's what's above), the doc complimented me and actually ended up not charging me for the visit (my husband almost fell off his chair!) and gave me stronger pain meds, which I've been BEGGING for for about 4 months.

Hope that helped someone! Oh, also...common sense, but I just alter it each time to changes, and put new date on it...that way I have a record (save each one as its own word doc) of my progress from appt to appt).

Good luck!
    Rachel