What is Mycoplasma test?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Loklynn, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Loklynn

Loklynn New Member

Can anyone tell me what a mycoplasma test is? I saw this on a site, when looking into Parvovirus B19 and Fibromyalgia.

The ParvoB19 caused a high fever, and triggered the initial (I think initial-maybe not) Fibro. I asked the Rheumatologist yesterday how to tell if the pain I'm feeling is from the ParvoB19, or from the Fibro. He explained that the pain in my fingers and hands is from the Parvob19, and the rest of the pain in other areas is from Fibro.

I am also interested in any other bloodtests, etc. that any of you can recommend. I have had Sed rate,& CRP.Are there any others that are specific to Fibro. and things that cause it or are related to it? I'm wondering if there are certain things that should be tested for that are problems that often occur in Fibro. patients as coexisting or causes for it? Or does Fibro. deplete us in other areas that should be tested? Sorry if this isn't making much sense-I only got a few hours of sleep last night.

Thank You for any info. anyone has to offer. :)
    [This Message was Edited on 08/06/2003]
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Go to Dr. Garth Nicolson's website and you can get directions for these tests. The blood must be very carefully handled and the test done very fast after drawing in order to avoid false negatives. It is better if you are near one of the labs which performs these tests to go there in person to have them done.

Does the Great Smoky Labs do these tests too? You might check there as well.

My doc just put me on Doxycycline because we know my illnesses were triggered twelve years ago by a mycoplasma infection. Right away, I had a Herx reaction and then some of my chronic symptoms went away, so we knew we were on the right track.

The lab tests are expensive and the odds of getting false negatives high, so if your doc is willing to go the empirical route, he or she may want to just prescribe the antibiotics. If you Herx, chances are good that the ABX are killing off pathogens in your system. On the other hand, if you go this route, you will never know for sure which strain(s) of mycoplasmas are making you sick.

Not all ABX work on the mycoplasmas, so it is a good idea to research and print out articles for your doc. This is what I did and I highlighted and annotated the pertinent info. BTW, it was an article by Dr. Jacob Teitlebaum which suggested the practicality of using the ABX empirically instead of the expensive test route. This is done all the time in medicine. Good luck with whatever route you decide to go.

Love, Mikie