What Is On Your 'To Do' List? 6/29 thru 7/5

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ksp56, Jun 29, 2009.

1. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I hope everyone is feeling better this week. With some of us celebrating July 4, I am sure the week will guick will feel shortened. It will for me. Anne Theresa, do you have any holidays similar to our July 4?

We had a good weekend. Bought more outdoor plants and looked at paint samples for main bath. Just relaxing, for the most part.

Took DH to for outpatient surgery, early this morning. He was given light sedation, and is in bed resting. He had three cysts on his head and one on his shoulder. Everything went well!

My life is about to change! DD goes back to work PT and I will be taking care of little Sam. The days are Tuesday, Wednseday, and Thursday. Only had planned on two, but her employer asked for three. I look forward to having him, but have some misgivings with how fatigue and pain come and go. Guess we'll have to see how it works!

Today I'm hoping in the recliner and read or watch movies. Up early for hospital check in. Very tiring....LOL

I look forward to seeing more friends to see how everyone is doing. I'm thinking of you all!

Hugs,

Kim

[<i>This Message was Edited on 06/29/2009</i>]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/29/2009]
  2. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello all,

Hi Kim, To answer you question, we celebrate Canada Day on July 1st with fireworks and the whole shebang. My youngest niece (3 year old adopted from China) will become a Canadian citizen in a formal ceremony that day, so our family has lots to celebrate! I'm not going to the ceremony (it makes too long a day for me) but I plan to attend the BBQ celebration afterward.

I'm glad your hubby's surgery went well and that you're able to get some rest now, after an early morning with him. I hope your experience caring for Sam goes well and doesn't over-tax you. Take good care.

I had a nice weekend too. We went shopping for lawn chairs. I wanted to buy four chairs but I could only afford two. When we got home and opened the boxes that the chairs came in, there were two chairs in each box! Cool.

It's been raining, so I've been indoors all day and then for several hours this afternoon the hydro went off. There wasn't enough light to read, no TV or computer etc. Nothing to do but housework so my chores are all done. I took some soup out of the freezer for dinner and now I'm all set for a quiet night at home with Dave.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

I'm sure you have wondered where I've been. I have tendonitis (t) in my right hand and arm. Little better now, but can't do a lot. Husband helping more. Wish MIL would help. My own mother would. I really miss my parents at times likes this. My best girlfriend would help but she has FMS and other health issues, too. In therapy, doing mostly at home to save money. Restrictive exercises are painful, but I need to do them. I got this from job-they gave me too much typing I realize now last few weeks of work & was stressed tight deadlines. Didn't know
    what "t" was. FMS dr. should have told me more about "t" and told me to cut back on activities. Part my fault-I reacted to stress of losing job by overdoing it at home,too. Thought keeping busy would help to try and keep my mind off my troubles. Didn't work, of course. really stupid of me. But I am determined to get better. Therapist had "t" in both shoulders at same time got better so I can too. says that me always being active will help but fms will slow my progress. am seeing some improvement. exercising in water in pool, too.

will keep all of you in my prayers.

ellen
  4. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello all,

Ellen, it's good to hear from you though it's unfortunate you've developed tendinitis. I understand this can be very painful. On top of your FMS, it must be quite a challenge. I'm glad your hubby is helping, though I wish you had more support. I know the feeling of missing one's parents, I miss mine too. I'm sure your determination to recover will carry you a long way. I'll say a little prayer for you. Take good care.

I went to my doctor's appointment today. We talked about my beginning a course of physiotherapy & acupuncture. The physio/acupuncturist is someone that a friend with FMS recommended to me. I'm looking forward to the sessions and I hope they help.

Today's To Do List

put dishes away
    clean counters & sink
    empty wastebaskets
    empty garbage
    make & eat dinner
    Weight-Watchers meeting

It's a beautiful day so I'll leave time to sit on the porch and enjoy my garden.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  5. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Hi all,
    I've been MIA again.....just busy with summer activities, I have to confess. Yesterday we went cherry picking. The orchard had lots of bings and Rainiers, so we picked both kinds. The prices were good and the day was absolutely perfect. I think fruit picking is one of my favorite things of all to do!

Ellen- sorry to hear of your pain. When it rains, it pours....first the job, now this. I hope that your tendonitis lessens soon and that your job prospects increase!

Anne- I agree- sometimes you just have to sit and enjoy the beauties of summer. I have a little pot of purple flowers back by my rhubarb that I really enjoy.....it's eye candy! My garden is doing well and I'm enjoying being out there.....even pulling weeds.

Hope all are well along the way.
    Hugs from Terri
  6. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

Hi, I haven't been here either! Summer is here and there are no camps for Liam the next 3 weeks. So I have been trying to keep him busy. I have had to use his visual schedule religiously and provide a lot of structure. I can barely take care of myself. I am hoping this will fall into place as I get used to it.

My dh is going on a four day backpack trip to the Sierras to spread his Dad's ashes. He leaves tomorrow morning at 5 am. I have respite care coming each day that he is gone. I will ask them to tire my son out! I will miss my husband and I do worry when he goes on these trips. I am glad he is doing this though and hope it will be healing. There are four guys going including BIL.

My ds is excited to have me all to himself! He was cheering yesturday(lol).

Kim-So nice you can take care of Sam. I know what you mean though to be afraid of being able to do it.

Anne Theresa-Happy Canada Day! Your celebration sounds like a lot of fun.

Ellen-Oh no, tendonitis. I understand what stress does with these dd. I went into the summer stressed due to the school district stuff. It really affected me and that is not how I had wanted to start summer. Take care of yourself!

Terri-Nice to hear from you. You must be trying to keep your boys busy. How old are they?

To do:
    Prepare for dh to be gone. . .

Fill up car
    grocery shop
    wipe kitchen counters
    laundry
    change sheets on bed

Molly

7. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello all,

Terri, it's nice to think of you picking berries - how fun! One of my favourite memories is of my siblings, cousins and I picking blueberries, as children, in Nova Scotia - we'd give all the blueberries to aunt Jenny and she'd bake pies. I'm glad you're enjoying your garden and your time outdoors. Take care and enjoy the summer weather :)

Molly, I can imagine how busy you must be with Liam home all day. Thank heaven's you've arranged respite care for the days your husband is going to be away. This sounds like an important trip for your husband - I hope he finds peace. The thought of Liam cheering (at the idea of having mommy to himself) warmed my heart. Little boys are so cute. Hang in there, Molly. The three weeks will pass quickly, Liam will attend day camp and you'll have some quality Molly-time. ((Hug))

Yesterday's Canada Day celebration was lovely but I embarrassed myself by falling.

The fall happened when I tried to step up from the deck into the kitchen (the step was a wee bit bigger than a regular-sized step). I used my cane but my right leg (the one I stepped out with) wasn't strong enough to hold my weight and (I think) my ankle buckled. Someone caught me before I went all the way down, thank heavens!

I'm appalled by how week my legs & ankles are (going up regular stairs is terribly difficult & painful these days). I must build up the muscles in my legs. This, I can do through walking and through the soon-to-be-scheduled physiotherapy (unless I have an experience similar to Nancy's - I hope not).

To Do Today

dishes away, sink, counters
    wastebaskets
    make physiotherapy appointment
    scoot to store
    read, write
    swiffer 3 rooms
    windex screens & mirrors

I probably won't be able to do all this in one day so I'll carry some over to tomorrow.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

Hello all,

Terri, it's nice to think of you picking berries - how fun! One of my favourite memories is of my siblings, cousins and I picking blueberries, as children, in Nova Scotia - we'd give all the blueberries to aunt Jenny and she'd bake pies. I'm glad you're enjoying your garden and your time outdoors. Take care and enjoy the summer weather :)

Molly, I can imagine how busy you must be with Liam home all day. Thank heaven's you've arranged respite care for the days your husband is going to be away. This sounds like an important trip for your husband - I hope he finds peace. The thought of Liam cheering (at the idea of having mommy to himself) warmed my heart. Little boys are so cute. Hang in there, Molly. The three weeks will pass quickly, Liam will attend day camp and you'll have some quality me-time. ((Hug))

Yesterday's celebration was lovely but I embarrassed myself by falling.

The fall happened when I tried to step up from the deck into the kitchen (the step was a wee bit bigger than a regular-sized step). I used my cane but the right leg (I stepped out with) wasn't strong enough to hold my weight and (I think) my ankle buckled. Someone caught me before I went all the way down, thank heavens!

I'm appalled by how week my legs & ankles are (going up regular stairs is terribly difficult & painful these days). I must build up the muscles in my legs. This, I can do through walking and through the soon-to-be-scheduled physiotherapy (unless I have an experience similar to Nancy's - I hope not).

To Do Today

dishes away, sink, counters
    wastebaskets
    make physiotherapy appointment
    scoot to store
    read, write
    swiffer 3 rooms
    windex screens & mirrors

I probably won't be able to do all this in one day so I'll carry some over to tomorrow.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

8. ksp56

ksp56 Member

This is my FOURTH attempt, since yesterday, to have my message not vanish! I wrote a long one...poof..it was gone as were my two trys...GRRRRRRRRRRR

I'm saying a quick hello!

Anne Theresa: I am glad you enjoyed Canada Day. We al fall..don't be embarrased. I have done it countless times in my life! Even without these DD, I've always been very clumsy! Have a good weekend. I hope the PT goes well for you.

Terri: I assumed you'd been very busy with your family, etc., As for those cherries, my mouth is salavating! I LOVE them! How is your dad?

Molly: What a wonderful son, you DH is. I had tears in my eyes as I read about his trip to the mountains with his dad's ashes. So happy you have respite care coming in! Hopefully they will tire out Liam! LOL You take care..

Ellen: It was good hearing from you. I am sorry about your 'T'. I've had it before do to repitious movements. It is NO fun. It is very common for someone to have it when typing,etc. Hair stylists tell me they get it too. My GP gave me a splint, that fitted from mid forearm to my fingers. It really helped, and I have used it many a time. You may be able to buy them at drugstores. I believe I have seen them. I hope you get better soon. And yes, I do believe we miss our mother's even more when we aren't feeling well, or times are hard. Oh! I see doctor V in August.

Busy week... we were leaving for the lake today to celebrate the holiday. DD, SIL,Sam and stepgrandson, are coming on Saturday for a cook out at the cottage. Our mom's are driving up for the day. This is the first day I have been able to rest (a tad tired) since Sunday and we will leave tomorrw. I start babysitting Sam on Tuesday. It should prove interesting! LOL

I hope your weekend is good, and pain/fatigue are manageable for us all.

My mind keeps thinking about Nancy. I hate when the so called professionals do more damage than good. They just don't get it. Sad commentary on the medical profession. If you read this Nancy, remember we are all thinking of you and hope you are on the mend. We miss you!

Many Hugs,

Kim

9. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello all,

I hope you have a nice weekend, Kim, away at the cottage. I hope the weather is good for your family get-together as well as for to-do list friends elsewhere celebrating July 4th.

After a day and night of rain, it's turned cold here. I'll need to wear long pants & a jackets if I go outdoors today. It's surprising weather to occur in the midst of such nice warm, summer days.

As anticipated, I'm still working on yesterday's to-do list so I'll carry on with that, as well as make a spinach/feta casserole for tonight's dinner.

Enjoy the weekend!

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  10. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

I am getting a little better. Have to limit my therapy appts. due to cost, but can do a lot at home. Went to Jim's annual dinner/dance at Hope Center last night. Jane at group home drove him and others in so that helped. We danced one slow dance. Going to Harry's sister's house tomorrow for a party. Harry is making coleslaw-turning into quite a cook!

Harry encouraging me to apply for disability eventually-not ready for that yet. Hate to give up. Determined I will get better sooner than they say.

Anne T: Sorry about your fall. We are both therapy patients now.

Terry: Cherries sound good. I've always been fruit lover. Harry is helping me w/veg garden. It's looking good.

Kim: Good you seeing dr. v. You will like him.

Nancy: hope all is well w/you.

hope that's everyone. have a good 4th. have to go home-do therapy & housework. talk next week.

ellen

Molly: You dh must really have loved his dad. Hope everyone can keep Liam busy!
  11. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Hi!

It has turned cold and grey here, too. There is 70% chance of rain tomorrow. Elizabeth and her family are still going to the cottage tonight. We've decided not to go, this weekend, and have our mom's here on Sunday. Works for me!

I was wondering if you would, please, share your spinach/feta casserole recipe, on this thread? It sounds WONDERFUL! We all love those ingrediants!

I meant to mention how wonderful, and special it must have been for your neice and all of the family, when she became a Canadian citizen! What a wonderful and loving family and country she will grow up in and with! It doesn't get much better than that!

Keep warm. My muscles are telling me the crud weather is moving in! Take it easy, also.

Hugs,

Kim
    [This Message was Edited on 07/03/2009]
  12. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all........

So sorry I've been missing again this week. Not sure what's wrong with me or why I haven't been checking in daily....although I've been enjoying a game on the Wii that keeps me busy (I have a bit of an addictive personality and want to finish it soon) something else seems to be happening and I'm not sure I can put my finger on it.

I've had another week filled with appointments, taking care of TriCare business etc. I had to mow the lawn again, it was over a foot high so I only finished 3/4 of it. I also fell while doing this.....that was my hint that enough was enough....but I find myself unable to sit outside and enjoy if I'm staring at something awful that needs to be done.

I dislocated a rib during that awful 8 minutes of physical therapy so I've been having some problems with that too.....

Yesterday I had a dermatology appt, my first ever and I'm so glad I went. During the last year of being so sick, I missed a changing mole on my foot (but probably noticed while doing pedicures and painting my nails hot pink for the summer). It looked bad enough to the naked eye when I finally saw it, but looked awful with the close up pics the doc took. (was on the side of my foot, not something you'd be looking for)

He removed it surgically and I have 6 other suspicious moles as well. I go back in 2 weeks to have the stitches out and find out the results of the biopsy. We'll decide what to do with the others then. But I was so proud of myself for having something done for myself.

I also had a mole on my face (side by the ear) lasered while I was there. Darn thing grows a bush if I'm not keeping track of it. Will be so glad to have it gone too.

I had such a good time at the dermatologists office that I made my husband an appt as well. Neither of us have ever had a full body check done and he's always had moles that I don't like the look of.

I have 2 days to rest now....then hubby has his procedure on Monday morning. It's a normal gastro check but they'll be doing a biopsy on him to check for the Celiac Disease.

So....either I'm accomplishing good things.....or so tired I can barely hold my head up lately.....and although we were hoping to pop out and go to Ireland for a few days, I'm not sure now if that's going to happen. We now have appts spread out again in July, hubby's truck is in the shop and we just had to buy him a new laptop this week.....

Sorry not to answer you all individually, I woke up late which is wonderful but messes up my eating schedule and blood sugar levels.

Hugs all and Happy 4th of July.

Nancy
  13. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello all,

Ellen, I'm glad you're seeing some improvement through your physical therapy. I'm scheduled to begin physiotherapy in two weeks. With my mind on Nancy's recent experience, I'm determined, at my intake interview, to impress on this therapist my physical limitations. I've done physiotherapy before with fibromyalgia and I know it can be helpful (as well as do a lot of damage, if done incorrectly or too-much-too-soon). At this point, I'm having a lot of trouble walking and I can barely climb stairs, so I think it's time to do some work to regain whatever mobility I can. It's nice you got to your brother's dance. Enjoy the weekend!

Kim, I'd be happy to share my Spinach/Feta casserole recipe. I call it a casserole because generally, after cooking, I put it in a casserole dish and bake for 20 minutes. Then I top it with crumbled feta cheese and serve. However, as it's written, it can be served immediately from the stove-top, Enjoy!

Ingredients

8 ounces cooked pasta (I like whole grain penne pasta or egg noodles)
    3 cups chopped, seeded roma tomatoes
    1 10 ounce pkg frozen spinach, thawed or fresh equivalent
    2 cups sliced mushrooms
    1/2 cup chopped green onions
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 tbsp canola oil
    3 ounces crumbled feta cheese

Cook pasta.
    Sauté tomatoes, spinach, onions,
    mushrooms and garlic in oil
    Sprinkle with salt. Reduce heat.
    Stir in feta cheese (do not melt).
    Toss tomato mixture with warm pasta & serve.

Enjoy!

Nancy, I hope you weren't hurt from the fall. I share the personality trait (quirk?) of being unable to relax while looking at something that needs to be done. But trying to mow the lawn is further than I would ever go. I'm glad you decided 'enough is enough' . With the students out of school now (is this so, in Germany?) you may be able to hire a youngbody to do the work for you.

A dislocated rib? Jeeze-Louise, that's terrible. Will you write letters, take action? Sometimes it's important to do this - other times it's important to save your energy for other things, either way, I'm sorry you've had this experience and now this additional pain.

Happy 4th of July to my American Friends!

I'll be away until Wednesday. Sweetie and I are going out-of-town for for a book conference. I always enjoy these conferences. While sweetie goes to meetings, I go to the spa, to the mall and/or I stay in the room and watch movies. It makes for a nice little holiday for me.

swiffer/mop kitchen floor
    swish washroom
    make grocery list
    read & write

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  14. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

We had a nice 4th....I hope you all did too. Even our Canadian friends!

Kim- Thanks for asking about Dad. He is in a nursing home indefinitely, due to incontinence brought on by his diabetes. He is mostly bedridden and has to be hoisted into a wheelchair for meals. So sad. My mom is lonely at her apartment, but tries to busy herself with her dog, Lizzie, and doing laundry. She goes shopping whenever the bus will take her. I try to call my dad, but he either can't find his cell phone or won't answer it. He is really depressed. So it's hard for me to be so far away from them both, but I have a family to take care of.

On a more cheerful note, the cherries were great! Now we're moving into blueberry and apricot season. I'm a fruitaholic!

Hugs, Terri