What Is On Your To Do List? 8/25 thru 8/31

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ksp56, Aug 25, 2008.

1. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Wow, has August gone fast!

Not much happened this weekend. My body was filled with aches, and energizer bunny took a vacation...or so it seems! LOL

Recieved lab work results today. Cholestrol (sp) is WAY to high. It came in at 269, with all the bad types of it being very high also. I do not eat much 'junk food' I need to start eating more veggies and fruits, but since my hospital stay, last year, my tasts have changed. I used to love them, but now I'm so so at best. I'm sure dropping 15 pounds, at least would help BIG TIME!

Hope you are all doing well...or as well as possible...

Isn't Lenoire to be married this week?! How exciting!

Look forward to hearing from you!

2. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hi Kim, thanks for getting us started this week. My cholesterol was also high. I don't know the number but my doctor told me it was beyond what I could remedy with dietary changes.

So, I've been on cholesterol-lowering meds for the past several years (with no apparent ill-effect) and my numbers are back to normal now. I hope you're able to bring about a positive change.

My niece is coming by this afternoon to visit and drop off some things she's going to store in my basement. So, most of today's energy will be spent with her, though I have a few things I'd like to do before she arrives:

make bed, tidy bedroom
    water plants
    spot-clean floors
    make counseling appointment
    clean mirrors & screens

Yesterday, sweetie and I laundered our living-room curtains then hung them up wet in the hopes that any wrinkles would 'hang out' and I could avoid ironing. Unfortunately the wrinkles are apparent and so this evening - when sweetie's home to help - I'll have to take them down to iron.

make dinner
    look up medical insurance information re: travel outside of country
    elliptical machine

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  3. colorfulcolorado

colorfulcolorado New Member

Hello everyone! Had a painful weekend too, now I'm just trying to do a few things around the house while my husband went to the doc. He came home and has to have an ultra-sound on his left nipple. There is a small painful lump and they scheduled him to see a surgeon.

I am going to have my last massage with my therapist:( and waiting to here back from my doc on what to do about my tylenol intake(vicodin).

Have to run to the bank also and pick up a few groceries.

I really just want to sleep, I swear I have CFS also, but we'll see. I really don't want something else to worry about, or complain about.

If anything happens this week other than work I'll check in a let you all know. Take care and good luck with the cholesterol. Mine is high too 247. But its way down from 369 so I'm happy-the doctor still isn't.
  4. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

Hi all! We had an okay weekend. I went to a Lyme support group to see the movie "Under Our Skin". It was excellent and I learned a lot. I spent two hours at the grocery store yesturday trying to get special items for my elimination diet. I was really tired after that. My right hip has been hurting for about the past month. Owie!

My ds starts 1st grade on Wednesday. Lots of changes. Full day. In the big playground. In the big lunch area. New teacher. New aide. Wow! We have a countdown on the calendar and I'm trying to prep him. They post the teacher at 5 pm tomorrow at the school.

Kim~At least you are Energizer bunny sometimes!! Sorry about your cholesterol. My dh has it genetically. He has to take meds. He stays on the lowest dose possible. Now you can join me on my diet of eating more fruits and veges (lol)!

Anne Therese~Are you going on a trip? I'm so nosy! Bummer about the curtains. That sounds like a big job.

Colorful Colorado~Best of luck for you dh ultrasound. Ahh and massage! Enjoy. Oh BTW welcome to the to-do post:)

To do:

library with ds (done)

shoe shopping for ds. My nanny needs to come with me because it will be an ordeal. ((My ds hates trying on shoes, then we have new orthotics to try and fit in and he doesn't want any shoes with ties ONLY velcro. We have been preparing him for weeks that he will get one velcro and one tie shoe. His OT has been working with him on tying and wants us to get a pair.))

Decide what to make for dinner
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all...

Kim, thanks for getting the thread started this week. I was so tired yesterday that I completely forgot.

I too, have been on cholesterol meds for probably over 10 years but should probably get new blood work done now that I've lost this weight and eat so differently than before.

Anne Theresa, that was quite a teaser....are you going on vacation?

CC...I hope all goes well with your husband. Did you have a hard time getting him to go to the doc?

Molly, I'm sure it's going to be an interesting few weeks until things settle down again into a routine. Hope it goes well for you.

Grammy, I'm glad you made a decision to make your life easier. That's always been something that I had to do...whatever it takes to eliminate stress, I just have to do it. I have enough, thank you very much....

Good luck on your visit with the new grandchild...sounds wonderful.

Lenore??? Best of luck to you...sending out vibes for a good nap, and a wonderful wedding and honeymoon.

For me today, Katy has an appt with base legal today to discuss the divorce. I'm glad she called yesterday because if he had made the appt first, we'd have had to go to a different base, all over an hour away.

Just a short story...she called him on Sunday to ask a simple question about her mail. Things digressed quickly but for the first time in her life, she stood up for herself!!!!

She had anger and took it out on the person who deserved it (not herself) and I was never so proud of her as I was that day. I actually jumped around outside thanking the angels in heaven above. Such a big step for her.

As many of you know, an episode like that would have had us running to the ER before her weeks in the Priory....so it was a glorious day for both of us.

Hugs all,

6. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

This is the first week of classes and it was too busy here for me to talk to all of you. So far it's quiet this morning so I decided to get on here.

Well, I got new lenses put in my glasses and am wearing my glasses again instead of my contacts. I can't see real well with them, but then my eyes are shaped to fit my contacts and it will take some time to go back to their natural shape again. I'll give it some time, but I am tempted to go back to contacts since I could see better with them. Except with the contacts I couldn't see road signs and other things real well. This is just an experiment to see if maybe if I wear the glasses for several months my eyesight will return to normal. I am feeling so frustrated. Harry feels I should give this a try. I am feeling like the fibromyalgia is just really affecting my eyesight and there's nothing that can be done. I've been checked for everything else. No diseases. So far I can still drive and function, but it's still frustrating.

Then there's the frustration of not hearing well. I am going to have another surgery (which will hopefully help this time) to improve my hearing. Unfortunately, the doctor cannot fit me in until February. It's a type of surgery that involves a hearing aid. So I'm thankful there is a surgery, which insurance will cover since it would be hard for my husband and I to pay $2,000.00 for a hearing aid.

Sorry for the vent, but it's just frustrating right now to go around hurting, not seeing and hearing well. Okay, enough of that.

Over the weekend I got some peaches from an orchard close to our house. They lowered the price on them as they were damaged from a hail storm we had back in June. So Sunday and yesterday I have been busy freezing and canning peaches. I still have one more box of peaches to go and hope to finish up tonight.

More news: I had a meeting yesterday afternoon with Dr. Nesbary and I will also be working part-time for two professors in the Social Work Dept.! I'm not sure if I told all of you, but I was going to work for the Chaplain's Office, but then he decided he didn't want a secretary, so then that left me without a lot of work to do. So this will work out really well and everyone says that the professors I will be working for are really nice.

Kim: So sorry for the aches and pains and the high cholestrol. I have to say that high cholesterol is one problem I haven't had.

Anne Theresa: Ironing drapes is a big project. I always try to get out of it, too. So, what country are you and sweetie going to?

Colorful Colorado: I hope all goes well with your husband and the lump turns out to be nothing.

Sore Kitty: Good luck with the shoe shopping. I remember how I used to drive my mother crazy when she took me shopping for shoes. I was very picky!

Grammy: I agree with you that we are the hardest on ourselves. I hope you can now sleep better. Enjoy your visit with your son, dil, and new grandson!

Nancy: Good for Katy! I'm so glad she is developing some backbone in dealing with that idiot soon-to-be ex-husband of hers.

To-do list:

-canning peaches
    -pool therapy class
    -call Harry's doctor
    -call my girlfriend to see how her husband is doing (her
    husband was in a car accident last week)

7. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Today is my weight-watcher's meeting - my main to-do today - I did well with the eating plan but my scale (which aligns perfectly with theirs) shows I've gained 4.5 lbs. this week.

This is the way things have been going for me; no matter how little I eat the scale numbers go up and up and up with no end in sight. The doc said there's no sign of edema - I don't know what else - medically - could be causing me to gain - an ideas?

Colourful Colorado, I hope the lump on your husband is benign and does not cause concern. I relate to the profound fatigue you feel. I get that way frequently - sometimes I can barely get out of bed. Whether or not you have CFS, this sort of fatigue is a symptom of fibromyalgia, as well. I hope it eases up for you.

Molly, I'm glad you had a nice weekend and received some good information about Lyme. I'm sorry your hip is bothering you. Hip pain is one of the main reasons I use a walker. It's a bad place for pain and makes walking, sitting, standing difficult.

I recall the mix of feelings I experienced when my babies began school. I can still see them climbing up onto the school-bus, tentatively, with their lunch-boxes in hand. I hope the first day goes smoothly for our son (and you too).

Grammy, Congratulations on getting to the bottom of your feelings (re: the horse) and taking action. I often experiences stress without being able to discern the cause and so I appreciate the soul searching involved. The feeling of a weight being lifted is a sure sign that you made the right decision.

I bet you're looking forward to seeing that new grandchild :) Wishing you a safe trip and pleasant visit.

Nancy, I hope Katy's appointment goes well today. It's wonderful that you're able to be there for support. I can imagine how proud you must have felt (and how empowered Katy must have felt) when she stood up to her husband.

It seems Katy's short stay in Priory (I thought it was 'Priority' - that would have be a good name too) along with your ongoing follow-up have helped her turn a corner. Learning to properly direct anger is a life-skill that many people are lacking so, in spite of her illness, Katy's ahead of the curve in that regard.

Ellen, no need to apologize for the vent. Seeing & hearing are critical senses and any sort of a loss in these areas is bound to be frightening & frustrating. My heart goes out to you. Congratulations on adding the social work department to your secretarial position. It seems like your work-a-world is coming together well.

Canning peaches is an ambitions project but I'm sure - in the dead of winter when produce is in short supply - you'll be glad you took the time & effort. I just love peaches!

My plans for travel: Sweetie & I are going to the USA with his dad and his dad's wife for a week in September. We're going to Shipshewana, Indiana. Has anyone been there? I'm looking forward and hope I feel well for the duration. I'm planning some serious down-time the week before we leave (pre-emptive rest) and hope for the best.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all...

Yesterday's appt went well for Katy, but we had a problem with her ID card and had to go to another base to fix that as well.

I think between the 2 it was too much for her and she had a minor episode in the PX while we were shopping. Nothing earth shattering, but she was in a daze, lost track of time (had no idea she was browsing for over 1 1/2 hours) and didn't know she had done this.

So today is a down day with no plans to see if we can get her back on track.

Ellen, so glad the extra work came through for you. I know you've been concerned about this.

Anne Theresa, are you eating 'enough' to lose weight? I know it sounds odd but sometimes when we drastically drop our caloric intake our bodies can go into shock and begin to store fat. Just a possibility...

Don't be too hard on yourself, you've been living with considerable pain for awhile now which makes it very difficult to get up and move around.

Hugs all,

9. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

Well, I'm happy to say that I'm done with my peaches. They are either in the freezer or are canned. I do have a few left and I've decided to make peach crisp with the rest of them. I don't have dessert too often and I've been craving this.

It's been quieter here at work today. Fewer students who are lost or need help with their classes.

Jim had a dr. appt. today and he begged me to take him home with me tonight. So that means a trip back to Morenci since he isn't spending the night. So that's why I'm making the peach crisp. He's a good helper, though, and is going to help me with some housework which will be a great help. I'm also going to make macaroni and cheese-one of his favorites.

Nancy: Sorry Katy had a rough time at the store. I hope she is doing better now.

Linda: I'm sorry your mother's health is declining. I know how hard it is to watch a parent deteriorate. Thanks for the encouraging words.

Grammy: Sounds like you made the right decision regarding the horse. I'm sure having a horse would be a lot of work and expensive, too.

To-do list:

-fix dinner
    -get groceries
    -cut Jim's hair

10. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all,

Ellen, I hope you enjoyed your evening with Jim. How are the glasses working out for you?

Linda, we always have time for the issues that someone else is dealing with. Takes us away from our own for a bit.

I'm so sorry your Mom's health is deteriorating. Has she granted a medical power of attorney to anyone yet?

Why are your sleep patterns backwards? I know I couldn't do without my Trazadone for sleep at night. It gives me a good 8 to 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep and I love it.

Grammy, I'm glad that your decision is working out for you. Sounds like you've found a great relief in letting go of this.

I wish I had some idea of what I'm going to get accomplished during the day....but things always depend on how Katy wakes up, how my leg is doing etc...(how bad my IBS-D is)

Yesterday I did 4 loads of laundry, including hubby's sheets and redid his bed. Hung curtains in his room, since we switched it with the Spongebob bedding for Katy.

Cooked chicken fajitas for dinner last night. I had a craving since it was one of my favorite room service meals in London. Rearranged my kitchen food cabinet and cleaned out my fridge. Whew....that was a good day.

Today's possible plans are grocery shopping,and possibly going to the thrift store (katy wants her own coffee pot to make her German coffee strong, her way)

Hope we hear from Erin soon regarding her surgery and we'll all just send special warm wishes for Lenore's wedding.

11. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

It has been a busy week....lots of work for the Scouts painting our church. The boys now have some colorful paint clothes!

Sorry, Linda- I don't know why you're getting a BR.......maybe it's your computer? I hope your mother is doing some better.

My MIL is not doing well either. She has cancer and has had a mastectomy. She recently fell and had to call for help in the middle of the night. Fortunately, she has one of those call necklaces, so she was able to call her niece and nephew from where she lay, and they came to help her up. She needs to move out- maybe this will nudge her in that direction. It's worrisome to us, because we live so far away. She will not undergo radiation or chemo at present because she is too frail. Please say a prayer for her.

I, too, have had a lot of peaches around. We visited an orchard last weekend, and I've frozen most of them. I have a lazy method there as well- you wash the whole peach, throw it into a bag, and freeze it whole. It doesn't discolor, and when you go to use it, you soak it for a few minutes to loosen the skin and it slips right off- no peeling! I like not freezing them with sugar.

Got to go for now...
  12. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

Here I am back at work again. I've been so busy this week that I have to confess that I've skipped my naps in the afternoon for several days. I know. Not a smart thing to do. I'm definitely going to take one today and get back into my naps again. I know I have to take care of myself.

I'm happy to say that I'm done canning and freezing peaches. I went out in the garden and picked a few tomatoes. I have enough for about two or three quarts of tomatoes so today or tomorrow night I will can tomatoes. They don't take long when I just do a small amount at a time. This really helps with the food bill. I haven't had any beans to freeze so far this year, but the rabbits have been in them. The plants are looking better now so I might have some yet.

I'd like to get some apples and make applesauce. It's a lot cheaper than the stores and much tastier, too. I make mine the way my mom made hers. Since apples keep longer, I can just make a little at a time.

I went to Jim's psychiatrist appt. yesterday. While she was glad he went to the hospital when he wasn't doing well, she read him the "riot act" about how going off his meds in June had really made his summer a bad one and that listening to Don had gotten him in trouble. Hopefully, he listened.

Afterward, we ate lunch out and then I took Jim back to work with me. He sat quietly while I worked and I didn't have too much time left before quitting time. Jim was a real help to me. He helped me get things in the grocery store and at home he vacuumed the carpet upstairs for me while I prepared our dinner. He also put things away for me, too. After dinner, I took him back to the group home.
    I also made peach crisp for dinner. I served it warm with whipped cream. Yummy!

Nancy: Sounds like you had a productive day. That always makes me feel good to get a lot done. Today when I get home I am going to take a nap first, then do some things.

Linda: I can't imagine what would make the computer do the strange things it was doing for you. And I've never seen it put "BR" like it was doing for you. But I'm not very computer illiterate I'm sorry to say. But it must have been very frustrating for you. You said the other day that FMS can affect your hearing and taste? I have never heard of that. I had always thought I had inherited my poor hearing from my dad. But I think my dad had FMS. So maybe his hearing loss was from FMS, too. So far I haven't had any problems with loss of taste.

Anne Theresa: I'm so sorry with your problems with weight loss. Have you looked into problems with your thyroid gland? I know a low thyroid can cause weight problems. Just a thought.

I don't imagine we will hear much from Lenore until after the wedding as she is so busy getting ready.

To-do list:

-pool therapy class
    -a l-o-o-o-n-g nap
    -vacuum hard floors
    -can 2 or 3 quarts of tomatoes

13. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello ladies,

I spent yesterday in bed with a sore throat, cold & flu symptoms, headache etc. and I expected I'd be down with this for a few days. I had a happy surprise when I woke this morning feeling fine.

Thanks, Nancy, for your support regarding my need to lose weight. It's much appreciated. You've sure been busy around the house - it's a good feeling to accomplish those big chores like laundry, beds and curtains, isn't it? I hope you enjoy your day today and have a fruitful trip to the thrift store. I just love thrift store shopping!

Linda, I know what it's like to have your days & nights mixed up in terms of sleeping habits. This happens to me from time to time and it's usually a challenge to get back to normal. Like Nancy, I rely on Trazadone to help me sleep. It's a Godsend with no apparent ill-effects.

I'm sorry about your mom's deteriorating health. This must be very difficult for you, particularly with her living so far.

My own parents died young (in their fifties) and so I haven't lived the experience of caring for elderly parents. However, most of my peers have elderly parents in varying degrees of health and it seems the challenges are ongoing and can be heart-wrenching.

Grammy, I'm glad you're feeling well after making the difficult decision not to take on the horse. It's nice you were able to spend time playing with your dogs. I grew up with dogs and just love them!

Ellen, It's nice you had some quality time with your brother, Jim. You must be very relieved that he's doing well again. Congratulations on finishing with your peaches. I'm sure the peach crisp was lovely. My mouth is watering, it's been ages since I've had peach crisp, mmmm. Enjoy your nap!

Terri, I'll say a prayer for your mother-in-law and for you & your family during this difficult time. It's wonderful your boys are helping to paint the church. It's a great idea having the scouts do this sort of thing. Your church sounds very community-minded. That's great!

My main priority today (and every day from now on) is to go for a walk. I miss my daily walks - I gave them up because walking - even with my walker - has become so very difficult.

I know the only way to get myself fit enough to walk again is to actually start walking, even if it's only up and down the driveway to start. So, I've re-charged my iPod and I'm determined to walk as far as I can today. If I do nothing else today but walk, the day will be a success.

- make bed
    - polish bedroom furniture
    - clean mirrors & screens
    - shower & shampoo
    - re-schedule missed appointments
    - read

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

14. greygodess

greygodess New Member

It is like fall around here so I plan to get some things done.

I'm making a Cinderella costume for one of my grandaughters. Also starting to knit a hat and scarf for a fall bazaar at church.

Did get some cleaning around the house the other day. The yard , however, will have to wait.

Dh and I are watching a couple of the grankids saturday night.

Other than that not much going on. Godbless
  15. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I checked out the new site, since I had still been on the old one, and now I see what you mean! It is quite different, but I think it will be doable. How can you look up your old posts?

Anne Theresa- I hope you are feeling better. Walking is good exercise- I did a lot of it yesterday but probably didn't lose weight, because I ate a few things I shouldn't have. Today is a new day.

Grey- be careful around the grandkids! Hopefully you won't get sick this time.

Linda- I think we've all had times when our sleep got off, for one reason or another. I hope you'll be able to get back on track. My son has suddenly started working days, so it's an adjustment switching your sleep times. He's doing pretty well, though. He is planning a trip to see his GF in late September ("See you in September" LOL)

Molly- I hope things are going better with your son.

Nancy- It sounds like you are adjusting to being a three-some again. I hope Katy continues to improve under your care.
    You're a good mom to her.

Ellen- Peach crisp! Sounds yummy!

Have a good weekend, everyone!

16. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Ladies:

Yay, it's Friday and I have a long weekend to look forward to. I really feel I need it after a busy week although I think today should be a pretty quiet day at work. A lot of professors don't teach on Fridays and dropping and adding classes period is over so there won't be as many students in my office needing help with that.

I got a new computer this week-one of those that have a flat screen. I didn't really mind my old one, but it was an old dinosaur.

Harry surprised me last night when he came home from work by bringing me a dozen red roses. We haven't had a fight and it's not a holiday. Although things are better between us now, maybe he realizes what a jerk he was with all his "rules".

Speaking of Harry, can you believe I still haven't heard back from the counselor? I only saw her once over two weeks ago! She said she would call me to schedule our next meeting and she never has. The last time I saw her was August 13th. Maybe I don't need to go since things are better now, but I do think it's strange not to hear from her. Obviously, she's not interested in counseling me. Or if something has happened to her like an accident, you would think that the agency would have let me know.

I have a family reunion to go to on Sunday, but the rest of the weekend should be fairly quiet. For once Harry has agreed to go with me. I usually go alone to these things. We won't stay for a real long time since it's quite far away and I only have so much energy. But it's in a park on a river where you can rent canoes and there are trails you can walk on. Sounds interesting.

Grey Goddess: Is the Cinderella costume you are making for Halloween? Hard to believe that before long we can say that Halloween is next month. It is one of my favorte holidays. I used to do a lot of knitting and crocheting before I started having pain in my hands. I enjoyed doing crafty things.

Grammy: I'm sure you are planning to take lots of pictures of your new grandson! And as for everyone doing so much, keep in mind that we don't always do everything we say we are going to. Yesterday I never did get to canning my tomatoes so I will have to do it today. I was so tired, I ended up taking a really long nap.

Nancy: Well, I'm still wearing my glasses, but not seeing any better. I am so frustrated. I'm thankful I'm not blind and I know my vision could be worse, but still I want my vision back. Harry keeps telling me to try and be patient-not one of my strongest virtues. I think I will call the opthamalogist and tell him what I'm doing and he what he thinks. I'd give anything to see well again.

Anne Theresa: Jim is doing better, but still has problems with depression. But I'm thankful for any improvement.
    I think you have a good attitude about your walking. Just do what you can even if if isn't very much. You can gradually work your way up.

Terri: I don't use sugar when I can or freeze peaches, either. Or when I can applesauce. I just use a sweeter apple like McIntosh. I've never heard of your method of freezing peaches. It sounds easy and a lot less work.
    I'm sorry your MIL is not doing well. Thankfully she had on one of those call necklaces so she was able to get help when she needed it.

Linda: I see others here are getting that weird "BR" in their messages, too.

To-do list to today:

-wash sheets and towels
    -put fresh sheets on the beds
    -wash dishes
    -gas for the car
    -read magazines

To-do list for the weekend:

-more reading
    -yard work
    -clean sink and toilet
    -clean laundry tub in laundry room
    -make pea salad to take to family reunion

Have a good Labor Day weekend, everyone! Talk to you on Tuesday!