WHAT IS PAIN MANAGEMENT CLINICS OR PAIN CENTERS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nje, Jun 5, 2003.

1. nje

nje New Member

SOMEONE MENTIONED IN A REPLY TO MY REQUEST FOR NEW MEDS. MY RHEUMY TOLD ME I REALLY SHOULD GO TO ONE.I`M AFRAID THEY ARE PLACES THAT WON`T GIVE YOU ANYTHING REALLY GOOD FOR PAIN,AND TRY AND HELP YOU TO ENDURE IT. IF THATS WHAT IT IS ABOUT, THEY CAN FORGET IT. I AM NO DRUG ADDICT,BUT I HAVE BEEN ON ULTRAM AND LORTAB10 FOR 7 MONTHS NOW AND MY PAIN HAS GOTTEN WORSE OR EITHER I`VE BECOME IMMUNED TO THEM. I JUST WANT TO STOP HURTING EVERY SINGLE DAY OF MY LIFE. I USE TO HAVE A FEW GOOD DAYS ONCE IN A WHILE,BUT FOR THE PAST 2 WEEKS, I`VE HAD ALMOST NONE. MY JAWS ACHE, MY EARS ACHE, MY HEAD ACHES,NOW ALMOST 24-7 .I LAY WITH A HEATING PAD ON ONE SIDE THEN ALTERNATE TO THE OTHER EAR, I`M THINKING ABOUT GETTING ANOTHER HEATING PAD SO I CAN COVER BOTH EARS AT THE SAME TIME. MY EYES ARE EVEN ACHING,NOT BURNING BUT ACHING,I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD EVER HAVE TO LIVE WITH CONSTANT PAIN,BUT AS OF NOW I AM AND ITS REALLY GETTING ON MY NERVES,I SEE A PSYCHIATRIST AND THERAPIST,AND TAKE XANAX AND EFFEXOR, BUT I AM SHAKING ON THE INSIDE ALL THE TIME NOW. I ALSO HAVE NEUROLOGICAL PROBLEMS, I`M STARTING PHYSICAL THERAPY TUESDAY OF NEXT WEEK, JOY, JOY. I CAN`T WAIT,JUST MORE AGONY TO GET THROUGH. WELL I`VE COMPLAINED ENOUGH FOR 1 DAY,BUT IF ANYONE ELSE FEELS LIKE THIS, OR KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT PAIN CLINICS,PLEASE REPLY,I`D SO APPRECIATE IT. NJE
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

It was explained to me that a pain clinic not about drugs. They will give you something for a short time in order to help you help yourself. I was given Darvocet and sent to physical therapy.

Then we discussed other ways to control my pain. I got a series of 3 spinal epidurals of numbing medicine and steroids.

They told me that they also did nerve blocks and other procedures to help pain and avoid the narcotics.

They told me that they are not drug clinics and they would work with me to find out what procedure(s) would help me control my pain.

You might be disappointed after your first visit.

I know of another pain center that will not prescribe nacotics until their patients complete physical therapy and have a psych consult. This supposedly shows them that you are serious about wanting to get better.
  3. HURTSALOT2

HURTSALOT2 New Member

The doctor at the Pain Management Clinic I go to gave me a book, which I was billed 15.00 for. The name of this book is How To Stubbornly Refuse To Make Yourself Miserable About Anything Yes Anything, by Albert Ellis, Ph.D. Needless to say, I want a refund. My Doctor who sent me to this clinic is impressed with the book. She wants me to continue going to this clinic which I feel is a waste of my time and money. I hope you get better results than I have if you go to one. Take care.
    HURTSALOT2
    [This Message was Edited on 06/05/2003]
  4. indnangel

indnangel New Member

I am sure they are all different.But I started to one 4 weeks ago, and its the best thing I have found in my search of 5 years!The doctor has been doing this for 20yrs and he is one of the best..He believes in pain meds and works with me till we get it right.I was afraid of the oxycontin, but not anymore it has made a great difference in my life.They do nerve blocks,massage therapy etc also pain mangement classes,and I have really learned alot from them...
    Good Luck and God Bless*
  5. 101247

101247 New Member

Hi gang,this is a response to nje who asked about pain clinics,i've been on the waiting list for7 months, i've requested Acupuncture, Why because i had this privately 3 years ago when i could not take any more pain, I went to a
    traditional chinese practitioner,the cost then was £20 a session and it was worth every penny.
    For the first two months there was very little change but after that it was like some one had waved a magic wand, sleep at night ,managable pain,no more chronic aches and pains,BLISS,but and isn't there always a but ,the cost became prohibitive and i had to stop ,now i'm back to square one it's even hur4ting like hell typing this i have to keep stopping ,its taken half an hour so far, i get burning pains across my neck and shoulders[anybody else get this one]it seems that something new finds a way to ruin my day every day, any enough already, back to jne go for the pain clinic its not just acupuncture,sorry i've rambled on a bit but it is nice to be able to share with you guys .