What is pain managment?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by debhun, Feb 22, 2007.

1. debhun

debhun New Member

I went to my Dr today and he is sending to a pain managment Dr. What is it and will they keep me on oxycodne or do they take you off of meds? I have beem on pain meds for 2 years now. It is the only thing that helps me. Thanks for your help
  2. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Bump for responses
  3. gidgetsmom

gidgetsmom New Member

The pain management clinic that I go to offers a wide range of services.

Trigger point injections, nerve blocks, epidurals, facet joint blocks, medications, physical therapy, psychology.

Seems most dr's are afraid of long-term pain patients and are referring us to pain management.

Personally, I love my pain management clinic! They really make me feel cared for. They believe my pain is real. They go out of their way to make me comfortable.

I know some have had bad experiences with pain management, but without mine I would not be able to work. (I have FM)

Hope this helps!

Shelley
  4. debhun

debhun New Member

Thank you so much for your help. I live in so much pain. I really hope they can really help me. I will let you know how it goes. ( have FM )

Deb
    [This Message was Edited on 02/23/2007]
  5. debhun

debhun New Member

I have had FM for a long time and the meds I was on wasn't helping and was taking to many. Was to take 5/500 1-2 every 6 hours. But it just would last that long. So I took every 4hours. Pluse BC in between that. I have a very good Family Doc. So yesterday we talked about it and I told him I was up to try any thing to get rid of my pain. I Just had surgery on on heel and they have to do the other one too. It is not fun to be in pain all the time. My mother don't think I have it cause a friend of hers has it and she can work and do yard work ect... Well I am very glad this person can do all this and not take an thing for her pain. The only time I can do any thing like clean the house is after I take my meds. And that is working for a few and sit and rest for a few. It is very hard for me to talk to any one cause they don't understand. I am 51 years of age and I don't take meds to get high just to get though the day. I am now on oxycodone 20 mg every 12 hours. I still have pain to come though so I take BC's. It is a new drug for me and right now it seem to work. Just hope the new Doc can help. Don't have appt yet waitting on dr office to call me. I am glad I have found this site.

Thanks
    Deb
    [This Message was Edited on 02/23/2007]
  6. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Welcome to the board! You seem so sweet!

We all have different tolerances for pain and severeties of FM, so just because one person can garden and do housework....no matter how old they are...doesnt mean that they dont have fibromyalgia!

Just because Im 26 and the fact that I used to be able to keep a full time job doesnt mean that I didnt have it either! The pain medication was the only thing that kept me working until I got a herniated disc which led to sciatica and now Im back on disablity at the age of 26.

I live in Mass. and around here they try to make it clear to me that at my age they arent going to be prescribing any pain meds. I can understand where they are coming from in a way...but like everyone else that doesnt have FM..they dont understand the pain we go through or the lengths we will go to in order to get rid of it.

You have age on your side which is a good thing when it comes to getting adequate pain medication now adays, and most states are as strict as Mass. is when it comes to prescribing pain medication.

When you go to pain management they will probably do some stuff other posters have mentioned. Other things they also try to do is physical therapy...where there will teach you stretching exercises and to help with the stiffness etc. The also have occupational therapy, where they attempt to get you back into the work field (if you arent already).

I wouldnt worry at all hun! As you said, you have a great family doctor that treats you. Im sure youll do find with pain management, and you will have your family doctor there to help you as a back up. You are one lucky woman to have a supportive family doctor, not too many of us do.

I hope to talk to you again and GOOD LUCK!!

Hugs!
    Stephanie
  7. debhun

debhun New Member

thank you for your kind words. It helps to know others are out there.

And as far as my dr. goes his sister has it too. That helped out alot.

My daugher does massages and she trys and fit me in when she can. But hates to do me. I hold my bteath and she says breath mom breath LOL. I have jets in my tub and that is great at times too.

Thanks every one you all are so kind
    Deb
  8. Kellyslaw

Kellyslaw New Member

Welcome to the neighborhood. I have a quick question, what are BC's??? Just curious. I don't personally have a pain dr because I am new to all this stuff. Dx on 1/19/07 with FM and then referred to a psych for depression. I take 5/500 Vicoden every 4-6 hours for pain. Alot of Cymbalta, Flexiril at bedtime and Amiltryptline at bedtime. Please let us know how your appointment goes because I am curious too.

Best of Luck and Lot of ((((((Hugs))))))

Kelly
  9. Kellyslaw

Kellyslaw New Member

Welcome to the neighborhood. I have a quick question, what are BC's??? Just curious. I don't personally have a pain dr because I am new to all this stuff. Dx on 1/19/07 with FM and then referred to a psych for depression. I take 5/500 Vicoden every 4-6 hours for pain. Alot of Cymbalta, Flexiril at bedtime and Amiltryptline at bedtime. Please let us know how your appointment goes because I am curious too.

Best of Luck and Lot of ((((((Hugs))))))

Kelly
  10. debhun

debhun New Member

it is a southern thing. But it is great for headaches and some pain. otc pain reliever