What is provigil ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tjlibby, Aug 18, 2003.

1. tjlibby

tjlibby New Member

Hi
    Why do you take provigil? Teri
  2. RoseSky

RoseSky New Member

Provigal was originally made for narcolepsy. It helps to keep you alert, but it isn't a stimulant (like Ritulin) so it isn't addictive. It is fairly new and VERY expensive - about $385 for 60 pills. It worked great for me for about a month and then slowly I started to develope a tolerance to it. Now I have to take at least 4 a day to get any benefit from it. I also had to fight with my insurance company to get it paid for.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

But it works unlike any of the other, older stimulants. It works in a much smaller area of the brain and is considered less likely to produce side effects. Even the scientists who developed Provigil do not fully understand how it works. It works in the area of the brain responsible for the production of dopamine. It is being used to treat Parkinson's Disease and CFIDS as well as narcoplepsy.

I tried it but I had a paradoxical reaction to it and it just made me feel sleepy and fogged up. For many, it does help with energy and alertness. Most in the study felt that it worked about as well as drinking some caffeine, and caffeine is cheaper. Provigil, however, does have some advantages over caffeine for many. We are all different and so it will work differently for all of us.

It is contraindicated when one takes Klonopin, but it is not dangerous to combine the two. The Provigil can enhance the effects of the Klonopin and his may be why it affected me as it did. I also suspect I had ADHD as a child and that may account for the paradoxical reaction as well.

Anyone considering it should get samples from the doc as this stuff is expensive. It is not on most insurance formularies so most do not cover it.

Love, Mikie
  4. reva727

reva727 New Member

My insurance won't pay for Provigil for fibromyalgia. How did you get your insurance to pay for it.
  5. keeponsmiling

keeponsmiling New Member

I just recently started on Provigil due to a long-overlooked diagnosis of CFS secondary to hypothalamus dysfunction. The hypothalamus contributes to so many body functions... blood sugar, weight, energy level, blood pressure, sleep/wake cycle, etc.

I personally never had the symptoms associated with FM, but I fit the category of CFS. After digging a bit further and treating other underlying problems such as anemia and yeast overgrowth, my doctor and I found that the majority of my symptoms led back to hypothalamus function.

I am now on a very low dose of Provigil 50 mg a day, and I started to feel better the very first day that I started. I've been using a CPAP machine for sleep apnea for nearly a decade, but my fatigue became progressively worse until I was sleeping a minimum of 12 hours a day and never quite felt "awake" until after 4 or so in the afternoon. My energy level was zip, and I couldn't do most of the things I used to do on a regular basis, like keeping up with the house or exercising.

The side effects so far have been mild. I had some jitteriness on the first day, and I'm experiencing mild headaches sometimes in the afternoon. But so far, the benefits far outweigh the negatives. I feel "normal" LOL if you can understand that. I don't have the urge to go back to bed in the morning, I'm sleeping better at night, the "brain fog" has lifted, and I'm not craving carbs and sugar like I used to. I still don't have enough energy yet to exercise, but I'm hoping that as we slowly increase the dosage, I'll be able to become more active.

Again, we're all different. What works for one person doesn't mean it will work for everyone. All the best in your quest to feeling better! Hang in there.

Cheryll
    [This Message was Edited on 08/18/2003]