What is Remeron???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by debbiem31, Aug 6, 2003.

1. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

Hi ya'll. After posting the survey about being underweight, many responded saying that Remeron had given them an appetite. Can anyone tell me what this drug is used for originally? Is it an antidepressant? Does it have any other side effects besides weight gain?

Thanks a bunch, Debbie
  2. Drea

Drea New Member

Debbie:
    I took Remeron a few years ago. Remeron is an antidepressant that targets specific serotonin receptors. It was approved by the FDA in 1997 to treat depression. Common side effects are increased appetite, weight gain, drowsiness, dizziness, trouble thinking, and dry mouth. It should not be taken with MAOI's, tricyclic antidepressants, certain allergy or cold medicine, sleeping pills, tranquilizers, all which are central nervous system depressants. When I was on Remeron I gained alot of weight and had other very scary side effects and had to stop taking it. I guess it just depends on your tolerance to medications. Here is some information about side effects from Remeron I found on a website:

Side Effects of This Medicine

Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur:

Rare

Convulsions (seizures); mouth sores; sore throat, chills, or fever

Also, check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur:

Less common

Decreased or increased movement; mood or mental changes, including abnormal thinking, agitation, anxiety, confusion, and feelings of not caring; shortness of breath; skin rash; swelling

Rare

Decreased sexual ability; menstrual pain; missing periods; mood or mental changes, including anger, feelings of being outside the body, hallucinations (seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there), mood swings, and unusual excitement

Other side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. However, check with your doctor if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome:

More common

Constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; dryness of mouth; increased appetite; weight gain

Less common

Abdominal pain; abnormal dreams; back pain; dizziness or fainting when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position; increased need to urinate; increased sensitivity to touch; increased thirst; low blood pressure; muscle pain; nausea; sense of constant movement of self or surroundings; trembling or shaking; vomiting; weakness

Other side effects not listed above may also occur in some patients. If you notice any other effects, check with your doctor.

I hope this helps you out.
  3. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

That helped alot. I just want to gain weight. All those other side effects are enough to make me stay away from it!! I can see why you had to stop taking it...

Thanks again, Debbie