What is SAMe?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by libralady, May 29, 2003.

1. libralady

libralady New Member

Has anyone tried it?
    Does it help CFS?
    What is it made of?

Inquiring minds with CFS want to know!

Thanks - libralady
  2. James

James Guest

<a href="https://www.immunesupport.com/shop/Contents.cfm/category/Sam-e/">https://www.immunesupport.com/shop/Contents.cfm/category/Sam-e/</a>
    Hello, here is the 411 on SAM-e

SAM-e (S-adenosylmethionine) is a naturally occurring compound that has become widely known and celebrated everywhere. SAM-e has been used in Europe for over 20 years, and has made national headlines as an effective joint, mood, and liver supporter. Pro Health's natural SAM-e is a unique and effective formula at a great value.

SAM-e and Mood
    SAM-e supplementation can have positive affects on mood. SAM-e promotes balanced levels of the neurotransmitters dopamine and serotonin. Dopamine and serotonin are two chemicals in the brain that send electrical messages through and across the brain. People with unbalanced mood levels may have deficiencies in serotonin and dopamine. Supplementing with SAM-e helps support the body against this deficiency.

SAM-e and Cartilage Care
    SAM-e supports joint cartilage against progressive wear and tear. SAM-e promotes the development of cartilage-producing cells called chondrocytes in the joint. A healthy amount of chondrocytes in the in the joint helps maintain cartilage. SAM-e also promotes proper levels of proteoglycans, the molecules in cartilage that hold onto water and provide cartilage with much of its flexibility. It is when a joint becomes worn or damaged that proteoglycans begin to break down, resulting in a joint that is painful and stiff.

SAM-e and Liver Health
    SAM-e plays a central role in liver biochemistry. The liver contains the third highest amount of SAM-e in the body and is therefore considered an essential nutrient for the organ. SAM-e plays a key role in the production of the antioxidant glutathione. Glutathione helps detoxify the liver, boost the immune system, and reduce inflammation. Without SAM-e, the body could not manufacture enough glutathione. SAM-e breaks down to form the molecule homocystein, which is then synthesized by B-vitamins to produce glutathione.
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Shalom, Shirl
  4. desperation

desperation New Member

I was going to try SAMe but I didn't want to get hooked. What are the side effects and symptoms associated with coming OFF it? Do you think your body would get used to it and then go cold turkey after. I'd like to give it a go but worry that in the long term it will do me no favours.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thankyou vey much
    Lu x