What is so great about SSRIs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Apr 8, 2006.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

I can not stand SSRIs. The doctor always insists on it saying that chronic pain causes depression and also that the extra boost will make me more energenic. I just can not take them anymore. I can not sleep with them and also get very nervous on them. And I have been through plenty of them, telling the doctor each one was bad. I pooh-poohed the Celexa and he ended up insisting I try Lexapro, which I am now on. I have trouble sleeping and it gets me jittery.

Am I the only one who can not stand these SSRIs?

Thanks

NyroFan
  2. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I was on every SSRI you can think of for six years. I'd start one, then have to ramp up, then find a "good" therapeutic dose. When I realized the side effects were unbearable, I'd have to ramp down slowly. Then they wanted to try combining two different SSRI's at the same time. I tried every combo and different type dosing you can think of. Ramp up, ramp down, up, down. Sheesh!

Then I finally said "ENOUGH!" SSRI's were not doing me any good. I wasn't feeling better. I was actually feeling much worse because of all the awful side effects.

Stopping SSRI's was the best decision I ever made. I know they are a God-send for many people, but I was NOT one of those people.

I had to wean off them slowly, but I'm glad I did. They are not a magic bullet. At least, they weren't for me.

3. fireopal

fireopal New Member

Hi - No, you're not alone in not liking them. I went thru a very bad time last summer trying five different ones over again (had tried ten years ago). I couldn't tolerate any of them on a so called "therapeutic" dose. I either had much worse daily headaches or I couldn't sleep and my burning skin got so unbearable I didn't go anywhere for days at a time. Then when reporting to the Dr. every few weeks - she said you must go to a Psychiatrist now as you won't stay on any of the meds! My skin has never really recovered - still burns with the smallest irritation. She had no real treatment for it and didn't seem to think it was severe. I've tried natural products as well but I had some altho lesser side effects with them and they weren't strong enuf to help. What are we to do but hope & pray(?). My best to you.

fireopal
  4. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Before I was diagnosed with CFS, of course I was quite ill but all the blood tests kept coming back o.k. At that time the Dr. thought I should go on Zoloft because maybe I was just depressed. Same old story! So, I agreed, and now have been Zoloft for over a year, have had the time to do some research, and now I am weaning myself off of it. To be honest, Zoloft didn't make me feel any less depressed, but I never was that depressed to start with. What it did do was upset my stomach daily, as though I didn't have enough problems. Once I accepted the fact that I was chronically ill many months ago, I felt better.

Now I am weaning myself off of this poison, but I feel much worse now that I'm doing that than I ever did before I started taking it. Hopefully, in a few weeks, I will be free of it. I plan to start taking 5-HTP instead, just to help with relaxing. Marie
  5. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

Try taking Tryptophan (or 5-HTP) instead. It's a natural amino acid which boosts Seratonin levels naturally. ALL that and SSRI will do is raise seratonin levels, which then help with sleep and depression, but it does it in a kind of backwards way that is not natural to the body but allows drug companies to put patents on it and make a lot of money marketing to doctors.

You can do the same thing, and naturally, with tryptophan. Tryptophan was banned just days before SSRI's came on the market, but now you can get tryptophan again. I take it every night for sleep and it has really helped.
  6. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

Well, my doctor put me back on Prozac this week. In a way I am glad because it never gave me side effects, except sleepiness at night, which I need anyway. It does help with my hormones, anxiety, mood and some of the pain. Have you tried it?
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

SSRI's, and likely SNRI's, increase the state of seizure many of us suffer from which can increase the premature death of the brain's neurons. He has an article on SSRI's and stimulants in our Library here. Do a search on "Cheney" and it will bring up all his articles. They are very good.

Love, Mikie
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Babacat: To answer your question...yep..I have been on Prozac also and I stopped it after one month.

All of your support helps. And I will also research Dr. Cheney.

These SSRIs were 'wonder drugs' when they came out and it seems that doctors assume patients will be less depressed and less anxious. Not so for me. And I guess many of us.

The only medicine I was on that (I believe) was not an SSRI was Tofranil, but all it did was make me sleep and when I had a shower and bent over I felt like I would pass out.
    That was stopped the same day I started it.

NyroFan
  9. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i know ssri's are not for everyone, but i've been on and off them (lexapro) a couple times now, and here are the symptoms they relieved for me:

1) nervous bladder, gone within a couple days
    2) migraines, this is the only effective way i've found to break a migraine cycle, it's well-documented that most migraines are serotonin-related
    3) sleep, i sleep much better but only if i take them in the morning, not at night (a strange paradox, i know)
    4) my bowels are more regular; serotonin is active in the gut, i even have less food allergies because everything moves properly
    5) less anxiety; you will absolutely have MORE anxiety as your body adjusts to the medication, but you have to give it 4-6 weeks, no less
    6) there was an article posted recently that SSRI's may actually stimulate the immune system not suppress it; there are serotonin receptors throughout the body, not just in the brain

end of counterpoint :)

eddie
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

But the side effects have also been very bad for some. It's like everything else, we just have to perform our due diligence before we decide to take any med.

I do think too many docs prescribe AD's as though they are perfectly safe. Some of these are really heavy hitter meds and should not be handed out like candy.

Love, Mikie
  11. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I just had an experience like she mentioned (handing them out like candy).

I have 'Situational Depression' right now (never had depression before in my life), so this doctor prescribed Lexapro, well I could not read his writing on the script. When I got it filled ($70.00 co-pay for 30 tabs), when I saw what it was, I brought it back to the pharmacy and they gave me my money back. I have never been on any heavy duty drug like that in my life, and am very allergic to drugs in general.

I appreciated him giving me a scrip for Xanax, but there was no way I was taking Lexapro for this temporary problem that I have! I read Dr. Cheney's article years ago here, as well as all the posts of the ill effects of this SSRI.

They may help those who really need them, but except for Xanax I have not taken any prescribed drugs in many years, as I found out the hard way how allergic I really am to most of them.

He also prescribed Ciprofloxacin 500mgs twice a day for an E-Coli bacterial inflection my husband passed on to me from being in China and eating food off of street vendors. Well that would have just about killed me! I am taking herbal medicine for this, as I am so allergic to antibiotics, and this one is about as strong as you can get. Its still sitting in the cabinet.

You really need to research what you are being prescribed these days, I do not think many doctors bother to check the meds they are handing out to people, yes, like candy.

I lost 31lbs after Katrina (plus a 'personal storm' of my own) am down to 98lbs right now, just think what those drugs would have done to my already depleted body?

I am very slowly but gradually getting a little better, but am not myself as yet.

Thanks to my two great friends here, I am making slow, but some progress. Thats Mikie and AcesNanna, two terrific ladies, and thats putting it mildly. Plus all you wonderful people who responded to my plea of help on the Worship Board!!

Be careful what you take, check it out, ask here on the board, or do your own research as well.

Shalom, Shirl

12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My Friend, I cannot tell you how good it is to see you post. Thanks for adding to this discussion. Just because the docs hand out drugs too easily doesn't mean we have to just take them without doing our own research.

I am also allergic to Cipro. It was never intended to be prescribed for run of the mill infections. It was meant for severe things like your E-Coli and Anthrax. Unfortunately, docs started prescribing it for everything and now, it has become just another ABX. I'm so glad you have been able to control the E-Coli with your own treatment because as you stated, right now, you are still weak and your weight is down. Heavy hitter drugs could really do a number on you.

As you know, you are in my prayers.

Love, Mikie
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The PTSD from the storms is rampant down here, especially where Katrina hit. We still have people living in FEMA trailers from Charley 1 1/2 yrs. ago. Some still have not been able to get their roofs repaired from Charley and Wilma. There are blue tarp roofs everywhere. We are getting ready to enter a new hurricane season with repairs from the last two storms not done. Those tarps won't hold through another big storm.

There is a shortage of construction workers and supplies here. Between the manic development and repairs, it feels like we may never get back to normal. There are a lot of condos on the market and prices are down as much as 25 percent over last fall. This is normal across the country, but it wasn't supposed to hit us this hard. I think in another year, if they don't glut this area with too many condos, thing will get back to "normal." Of course, another big storm will mean more people leaving the area. Our insurance co. has dropped us and we will have to pay a huge increase to get insured with the state now.

There are still more people moving into FL than leaving, especially with the Baby Boomers looking for second homes or places to retire to. I'm starting to wish I had sold last fall when prices were so high. Oh well, things will work out.

I do hope all who went through Katrina find some peace and I hope that if they have to take AD's, they find something which works well without too many side effects.

Love, Mikie
  14. elsa

elsa New Member

It's not just SSRI's with me but all AD's ..... I cannot tolerate them which means I also cannot STAND them,lol.

I have never had the effect you do ... mostly they make me the walking zombie, dumb as a sack full of hammers, and totally numb to life.

I think I must have a managable level of serotonin and not the low level suspected in FM. Nothing worse then putting a reuptake inhibitor in the mix.

Then again, 5-HTP helped me alot early on, so maybe it is the rx'ed AD's themselves?!?

I do have a bit of attitude when it comes to how often they are rx'ed for pain or sleep. They have no qualms about going for an SSRI when a sleep medication made specifically for sleep problems would work better.

Either way, you are not alone in your distaste of these rx'es. I hope you feel better soon ....

Elsa