?????what is the best depression Drug you have been on?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by carebelle, Aug 9, 2006.

1. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I know my doctor will put me back on a depression drug next week but I just do not know what I should take.They told me this will be a life long thing.

I think I have tried all of them. I stay tired all the time. The effexor gave me energy at first then I started throwing up.So they are changing it again.

My problem is they said I do not produce serotonin so thats why I guess I have to be on depression drugs to produce that in my body for me.

What have you all tried with the least amounts of side effects?That helps build serotonin levels?

I soooo wish I could stay off all of it but I cant. I feel like the knowledge here on this board may be able to help me find a good one for me.

What have you tried ,for how long and what side effects have you had?

2. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Worked best for me. I was on it for a few years. It worked wonders.

However, I experienced extreme weight gain with them, which was the only side effect besides thirst.

I went off of them due to the weight gain.

Stephanie
  3. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

I went through the gammut until finally found a combo that worked. Wellbutrin and Zolot. The only thing I did not like was that I felt a little like I was in slow motion, though I felt better otherwise.

It also helped relieve some of the pain.

I stopped both when I had my hysterectomy this past May and just started back on the Zoloft due to anxiety.

I am on Neurontin 300mg at night for pain and hot flashes, which is helping, though I need to take it early enough to be sure I get enough sleep and not wake up groggy.

Previously we tried Effexor, Paxil, and a few others I cannot remember now. Cymbalta made me sick to my stomach.

Hope this helps.
  4. BEARANDBUGSMOM

BEARANDBUGSMOM New Member

lets see Prozac, Effexor, Zoloft, Busbar, Cymbalta,

Amitryptiline, and I'm sure that there are some others

that I'm forgetting. These are meds that I have taken

over a 15 period or maybe longer and the only one that has

made me feel better more like getting out of the house is

Lexapro. It's the only med that I have felt made me feel

more outgoing, It doesn't do anything for pain.

Hope that helps.
    Kelly
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

5-htp is an amino acid which helps the brain produce serotonin without the side effects of SSRI's. I know a few people who have used it - one friend got off of Lexapro and went to 5-htp and liked it much better. It's worth a shot, only don't take it together with an SSRI or you may develop serotonin syndrome, too much serotonin, which can be dangerous.

Mary
  6. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Bailey's Irish Cream.

Ok, maybe that doesn't count but it is a great comfort "food". (Of course I don't drink any more because of all my meds, but it sounds good!)

I use Effexor. It works well for me. Keeps me sane without totally damping my emotions. I can still cry and still have a good belly laugh.

I used Zoloft for about 5 years and was a zombie. No tears, no laughs. Just no emotions at all.

I used Amiltripoline (sp) for about a year but it made me so sleepy I wouldn't have been able to get the kids out of the house if we had had a fire in the night. Also gained lots of weight when I used it.

Hope that helps.

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  7. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

was Effexor, but it quit working, and you've had a bad experience with that so need something different.

You might try adding omega 3 fatty acids to your diet -- they increase serotonin and dopamine, and improve circulation with regular use -- fish oil, flax seed meal or oil. I think omega 3 helps me to some extent. Something is still off, but I have no medical insurance, have tried all kinds of antidepressants, and am not willing to experiment at this point.

A possibility is to try omega 3's in addition to a prescription antidepressant to see if they might augment the effect of some antidepressant with which you've had a reasonably good experience in the past. That is what I would be doing right now if I had insurance.

Wellbutrin is energizing for most people. Hope you find that perfect med!
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Remeron was best for me. i was up to sixty mg. per day, which was the highest dose and yet I could get off of it relatively easy.

nyrofan

plan to gain weight!
  9. Empower

Empower New Member

For me it was Elavil, but I couldn't stand the weight gain and the heavy sedation

But it worked well for depression and sleep
  10. millennia

millennia New Member

After trying 7 different prescription Antidepressants and just getting sick from them, I tried the natural way. Omega 3 fish oil has helped my depression more than any prescription ever has! And to the poster who likes Bailey's but can't have it because of the meds. Have you tried Hagen daz bailey's ice cream? It is so good and so indulgent! It tastes just like the real thing, you can't believe there isn't alcohol in it!
  11. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

You are tempting me and I am heading for the grocery store! Why didn't I think of that!!!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  12. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

and zoloft work well for me and are available generic.
    The 5 HTP is worth considering , along WITH fish oil, and
    a good combo of amino acids .

13. libra55

libra55 New Member

For me, Tofranil (imipramine) of the tricyclic class is the best, bar none.

Michelle
  14. butterfly99

butterfly99 New Member

Trazadone at bedtime it also helps me sleep, been on it for 4yrs.Good luck
  15. lightnerbride

lightnerbride New Member

I've been on a lot of different depression/anxiety drugs. I hated the sexual side effects of Paxil and drugs in the same family. Prozac gave me diarhea tried to work past the first couple weeks and see if it went away but didn't. Wellbutrin wasn't enough for me with the anxiety factor. I was on Effexor XR for a long time but it made me sweat like crazy, if it made you sick to your stomach then Cymbalta might also. I'm currently on cymbalta and trying to go off of clonazepam so will need something else for anxiety. It has been many years of many different drugs so if one doesn't work quite right for you remember there are a lot of options.
    A
  16. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

finding the right anti-deprressent for a person is so hard. you can go through so many meds that may have worked great for other people but they just aren't the right fit for you. during this process pay close attention to your body and all the effects from the meds. tell your dr. everything so that the two of you can find what will help you. this is something you will need for life so take the time to really find which drug or combination of drugs is best for you.
    i hope this helps.
    rachel
  17. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

I was on prozac and welburtrin - a few years ago.And then in the last year, I have been trying cymbalta - which seems to work well, but I an concerned about the brain damagae it can cause over time - will need to ask Wightman about this at next mtg , , , ,
    Hugs, Mag
  18. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I second the 5-htp. It is working really well for me. You can't take another anti-d with it though, so be carefull! Also, if you are on tramadol or any other med. that affects serotonin, you have to be carefull. I take my 5- htp about 3 hours after taking tramadol, and I only take it once a day.

I was really amazed at how well this supplement works for me!

Take care, Sally
  19. caperkat

caperkat New Member

Cymbalta is probably the best one I've been on.

kat
  20. MsOnlyMe123

MsOnlyMe123 New Member

For the past 2 years I have been taking Lexapro (20 mgs.) once daily. I find it to be very gentle and keeps me balanced for the most part. Like some others on this message board, I have been on quite a few anti-depressants through-out 9 years. That was the beginning of my Fibro.

I hope you find the right one for you at this time.

[This Message was Edited on 08/13/2006]