What is the best pain medicine for you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by adberens, Dec 9, 2006.

1. adberens

adberens New Member

My doctor put me on pain medicine for the first time. She put me on Lortab 5. I am wondering what works best for others?

Ardy
    [This Message was Edited on 12/09/2006]
  2. abcanada

abcanada New Member

Hi, I take Percocet, but have found the last couple of weeks were particularily bad, and it had not been as effective. I do take it daily, so maybe my system is getting used to it. i feel my pain is getting to an all time high. I get to go to my first pain clinic appointment in Alberta this week and am excited. I pray they aren't anti narcotics, as I've tried several drugs which have not helped me a bit! I was going to talk to her about Ty#4 to give my body a break from Oxycodone. Wish you Luck, Laura
  3. ktpar

ktpar New Member

I AM allergic to Percocet. But a combo of MSContin and Vicodin works for me.
  4. ozzyman

ozzyman New Member

I have a huge tollerance and vicodin is no better than a suager pill to me. Methadone with a benzodiazapine like xanax, klonipine or valium work well. Or any oxycocdone product, percocet, oxycontin, roxicet. (all very addictive). Be careful
  5. RedHeadEMT

RedHeadEMT New Member

Hi Ardy...

I'd say that for me, MS Contin (time released morphine) and Norco (hydrocodone 10mg, acetaminophen 325mg) work the best. I also use ibuprofen 600 mgs in combination on some days.

BUT, it took me a loooooong time to get this combo and a looooot of trial and error. Remember, what may work for me, may not work for you.

The best advice that I can give you is:

It's important that you find a great doc that is willing to work with you in trying to find the best med/s for YOU.

Take care and I hope you find what you're looking for...

K
  6. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

It's better than nothing :}
  7. Noralyn

Noralyn New Member

...and in addition to a looooong time and loooot in finding the right med combination, also keep in mind that the same holds true as far as finding the right Dr. I would say it took me close to 10 years and a whole ton of Looooot due to not having insurance.

This may not be the case so much anymore, let's hope anyway. The research now days is more on the validation side opposed to years back when one was just dismissed in ways that would lead anybody to depresion and anxiety, which incidently, many research I believe still trys to place as a "marker" for FMS.

This can arise from years of being demeaned and unjustly disregarded as being a foolish female (I can not speak in terms of a mans experiences, so understand I am not being discriminate)as well as the many other unprofessional tactics, would cause depression and anxiety in any illness, chronic or acute.

However, the vast majority of research regarding the issues of depression, anxiety, childhood abuse, seem to abound in FMS and CFIDS. If one would take a closer look, I don't believe that depression, anxiety, childhood abuse, PTSD, ets., is discriminating of any illness. This type research/surveys needs to be conducted on all illnesses in order to provide a fair and just conclusion.

Noralyn
  8. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

the worst thing about our illness is that no combination works for the next person which is why its so hard to treat.

mscontic worked well for me for a while but as with all morphine it creates a build up in your system. i have a friend with lupus and fibro who 'detoxes' through the summer by weaning off through the spring and starting again in autumn to build up in time for winter. i stayed on it and so after a year or so it was reversing its effects - making me worse off.

i am now on the synthetic opioid tramadol which doesnt have the same build up but the next dose will use the last dose as a foundation to start from. i can take up to 300mg a day but days i dont leave the house i am happy on 100mg but the other end of the scale being dog agility for an hour i usually take 300 but if i have been shopping too then i cheat and have 400mg which is the maximum anyone can have but is quite safe.

it took me a long time to get back to being relativly normal but i did it with a great gp, pacing through the day/week,the right balance of meds for me.

i also take 50mg amitriptyline at night for sleep. you would be amazed how much this helps. its a tricyclic antidepressant which means in laymans terms its a muscle relaxant so dont be put off about it being an antid.

2mg tizanidine for muscle spasm and cramps again this has been great as the worst pain i found to deal with was the shot of pain from spasm or that tight knot of throbing pain either up my leg or across my shoulders (i can hear you all now saying ah-ha) :) xx

my main advice to you would be to study each of the medications you are prescribed so you know just what you can and cant do with them - ie skip a dose if you want to drink or know how many doses you need to go with out or even what will hinder your driving or day to day activities.
    by the same token take the time to study your illness. by doing this and knowing my meds i was able to say to my dr - i would like to try this but drop this. by having an informed conversation with my dr he was more prepared to take me seriously and listen to what i have to say.

hugs to you and keep your chin up, the road to pain managment is not an easy one. xxx
  9. vivodin when I need it is the only thing that helps me.
  10. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

and that is what the Dr. put me on also, but after trying the patch and many other pain meds, this is the only one that doesn't bother my stomach, and actually helps the pain the most.

But I have to add breakthrough meds with this time release form, and I'm wondering why we need it if its suppose to do the job through out the day. My Dr. also doesn't believe me when I say I need breakthrough meds with the MS Contin, but I found some old Lorcets I had left over, that seem to take the edge off when I do need something extra.

So, I think next time I see him I'm going to ask if he can also put me back on the combination of the two ( MS Contin and Lorcet) for the breakthrough pain I'm sure we all feel. Other than those waves we get on any type of time release meds, I find this combo works the best for me.

My one question is..how much do the ones taking MS Contin have to take? I take 30 mgs twice a day.

I do hope everyone else can get the help they need for their pain issues!
    Gentle hugs,
    Shelby
  11. adberens

adberens New Member

This board is great. Thanks so much for all you responses!
  12. RedHeadEMT

RedHeadEMT New Member

Hi Shelby,

I used to take 45 mg. TID (3 X Day) before I got in that terrible accident...now I take 100mgs TID. I hope to come down off of that amount, back down to what I used to take, as my back/spinal problems get better and as time passes, taking the acute post-accident issues with it.

I also used to take 2 norco about 3-4 times a day, as needed. Now I take 2-3 pills about 3 times a day, as needed. Some days, I only take a few; it all depends on the severity of my pain.

It does seem like everything has gotten so much worse since the accident. I pray that I can get better and begin to not have to take so much pain medicine...Keep you fingers crossed for me.

K
  13. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I just started a different version of Lortabs, I used the 5/500's for 3 years, but now I am taking one that is 10/350..which is higher dose of hydorcodone, but lesser dose of tylenol. They are working well still. I am not fond of living on narcotics...but they have been a great help in having be have a somewhat normal life again.
  14. chris350

chris350 New Member

I am on Fentanyl patches 2 - 100mcg chg every 48 hours. I also take Dilaudid for BT pain. Advil, tylenol, when my pain is not too bad.
  15. mshonda400ex

mshonda400ex New Member

I take Tramadol which is the generic form of ultracet. I have tried a list of pain killers and this is the only one that helps me. It is very affordable. It costs between $6.00-$10.00 after insurance pays and that lasts two months.