What is the best way to email a photo?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwinMa, May 30, 2007.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Do I need to resize a regular photo to be able to email it? If so, what is the best size? Do you change the resolution or pixel size or what? Does it matter what program I do this in? (I do my editing in Adobe Photoshop Elements)

Would I use a different technique if I'm emailing one photo vs ten or twenty pics?

I'd also like to hear how people manage their emailed photos. Do you keep a separate folder just for email sized photos?

Any and all hints on emailing of images are welcome! Thanks!
  2. budmickl

budmickl New Member

Thanks for asking this question. I have pics everywhere on my hard drive. I have pics that are postage stamp size and some that only an eyeball shows up on the screen, it is so big.

Anxious to read what experts have to say!

3. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Gee--I figured someone here would be able to help.

budmickl - I'll try to do some sleuthing and figure this out and I'll let you know what I find out. I totally understand the problem of the postage stamp and the big eye!
  4. GranmaBB

GranmaBB New Member

Using any of the photo editing programs, resize your pic to less than 1 mb / 1000kb. You will usually get an option to do this when you do a 'save as...'. Or make it smaller using the program and 'save as...' a different name.

When you email the pics, only email about 1mb at at time. If you have several small pics you can put them in 1 email. Otherwise, send each in a separate email.

When someone sends 1 giant photo, it can cause your email program to come to a halt and is very difficult to clear out.

I'm not sure if this explanation is clear or not. My head is a little foggy today. Sorry it took so long to answer.
    Hope it helps.
    Let me know if you want me to explain further.

5. ckball

ckball New Member

I don't know what photo editing you use. But most have a compressed option. Usually where it says edit photo. I use Micosoft Office, you can compress it for web pages, documents and email.

Does your program have a help section? That is all I have for you, I hope it helps-Carla
  6. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Thanks for your responses!

twinofdar - Maybe mollystwin will chime in. Oh you twins! I guess that's one of the many benefits of having a twin sister! They do stuff you can't!

GranmaBB - Thanks so much for the info! I think the 1000 kb is a key piece of info. I definitely don't want to clog someone's inbox! I'll give it a go. You did a good explanation for having a foggy brain! Hope the fog clears soon.

ckball - I'm using Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0. That's an older version, so I'm not seeing a compressed option. I'll keep looking, though.

Thank you all for your help! I'll get this yet!