What is the Chinese Name for CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

My mother-in-law is Chinese and lives in Taiwan.

She knows that I am ill, but my husband never have been able to figure out how to convey to her what I have.

At the beginning, nobody we knew understood CFS (and of course it wasn't a real disease then), and so we didn't try real hard to explain.

Now we are thinking there must be an official Chinese name for the disease though. If we could tell her what it is, she could find out more about it on her own.

In Japan, it's called something like "Natural Killer Cell Dysfunction Disease." So the Chinese name could be something totally unrelated to any of the Western names too.

Does anyone know what the Chinese call this thing?

Thanks!!!

Best, Lisa
  2. virtuoso

virtuoso New Member

that I went to a few years ago for my CFS kept refering to my symptoms as gan-zheng. When I asked his wife, who served as an interpreter, she said that gan-zheng means malnutrition, but on my insurance she listed it as post viral fatigue.

That is the extent of my knowledge on the subject. Hope it helps.

Best wishes,

Toma
  3. clerty

clerty New Member

I asked my TCM doctor about this and he wrote it in cantonese LOL

Clertyx

4. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I wonder what Dr. Guo would say? He was taking his notes in Chinese when I saw him. Maybe, your husband can ask Dr. Guo in Chinese and get an answer.

Lisa: I've had to stop the TCM pills as I am nursing my tendinitis. I'm off the Advil now, but am taking bromelain to bring down the inflammation. It's working, believe it or not. The redness and swelling have come down. The bromelain is supposed to eat the fibrin that builds up during an inflammation.

CherylSue
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I have to believe there is an _official_ name (used in Western hospitals) for CFS. This undoubtedly would be different than the Traditional Chinese Medicine name.

Still, Dr. Guo (my Chinese medicine doctor here) should know since he also was trained in Western medicine in China. I will ask him.

Meanwhile, thanks all!

Best, Lisa