What is the correlation between pain & fatigue?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Nov 1, 2008.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Lately I have been in a flare, more pain that usual, a lot more and fatigue off and on. One thing I noticed is that one day I was in a lot of pain - that awful achy pain that makes you want to curl up and crawl in a hole - and very tired but after I took my pain pill (and waited the hour for it to take effect) I felt better all around. But of course there are the times I have pain and no fatigue or fatigue and no pain, so who really knows. Just curious.
  2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

I definitely think they are related in both cause and effect. I think whichever is hitting first or worst will aggravate the other.

For me, it's usually the fatigue setting off the pain, but then the pain quickly becomes the hardest aspect to live with just because I cannot rest when I'm in terrible pain.

So I usually try to take enough medicines to lower the pain. Then I can work on the fatigue part.

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  3. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

It is sometimes like the pain will cause me to be tired. But not all pain. Today I am back to the pain up and down my spine that feels like my muscles are shrinking a drawing up but I was not fatigued (thank God because last Sunday I crawled home to bed after Sunday School because I just could not make it any further). But when I have the achy pain that feels like the flu it seems that fatigue is almost a side effect and once I can get that tramped down some my energy returns until the pain comes back.
  4. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

it sometimes works that way for me too, where the pain causes the exhaustion. I do think it takes a lot of energy to deal with serious pain. At least I've found it to be so.

Best wishes,
    Janelle