What is the "detox" that I keep reading about...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cc0526, Jun 9, 2006.

1. cc0526

cc0526 New Member

I'm just wondering what everyone is talking about when mentioning detox, (the post about shark cartilege).... I keep thinking about detox in the terms of alcohol or drug detox but am new to this illness (CFSIDS) and all this information is a bit overwhelming.. even as an RN :)

Thanks,
    Patty
  2. gladone

gladone New Member

bumping for reply
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Patty, there are different types of detoxes: liver, Candida, etc. but often the one spoken about here is a whole-body detox to give the body a chance to rid itself of whatever irrritants, sensitivities or allergies to food that we might have or toxins we might have accumulated.

Some begin with a liquid fast, others just cut certain foods from their diet for a period of time. Bread, pasta, processed foods, dairy are often among the things eliminated. Allowed are: proteins, fresh fruits (if not a Candida detox which also should include yeast killers) and fresh veggies. No sugar! It's also been called The Caveman Diet because it's so limiting and basic. Many people feel much improvement from it though, so it's often worth it. It's a bit like an allergy diet which you might be more famiiiar with.

Hope this helps. I'm sure you'll get other replies and suggestions. I wish more RNs knew about these illnesses. Maybe, when you're better, you can be an advocate!

Marta