What is the difference between a retrovirus and a virus?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by isiselixir, Oct 28, 2009.

1. isiselixir

isiselixir New Member

Also, how will retroviral drugs differ from viral drugs?

I heard they are stronger but I want to know why.
  2. quanked

quanked Member

the same thing. The only thought that came to mind about the retro was that it may be a an old virus that ceased to be active and is now active--but this is just a thought coming from a poor functioning brain : )
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

>>>The difference between a virus and retrovirus is a function of how each replicates its genetic material. A virus has a single strand of genetic material-either DNA or RNA. A retrovirus consists of a single strand of RNA. Once a retrovirus enters a cell, it collects nucleotides and assembles itself as a double strand of DNA that splices itself into the host's genetic material.<<<

My understanding is that a virus is temporary, whereas a retrovirus is permanent.
  4. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

Once you have a herpes virus(ebv, cmv etc) you have them forever, maybe they have similarites to retroviruses.

Antivirals are made for specific viruses, most AV's are for herpes viruses. Tamiflu for influenza A-virus ans swine flu.

I think we are all hoping that the retroviral drugs used in aids people are effective against xmrv retrovirus, fingers crossed