What is the difference between "highly" and "overly" sensitive?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by phoebe1, Mar 23, 2006.

1. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I haven't been on the board in ages, my job is becoming more and more demanding and I don't have time for anything, I really miss you guys.
    It also feels to me like I "feel" too much, understand what I mean?

I was never like this and it feels like it is becoming worse and worse as time goes by.
    For instance, I can not watch people catching fish and how the fish struggles to breathe and smothers, I can not look at roadkill at all or I start crying, I think about how cute cows are and feel guilty for eating them, it's like I feel everyone's pain and suffering and make it my own, especially animals.

A few years ago things didn't "bother" me this much, I would tell myself that fish and cows were given to us by God to eat and that they didn't have feelings, now I can't believe that I thought like that.
    I even get upset when trees get cut down! Beautiful things can also move me to tears like a sunset or the ocean, I would feel so much in awe and wonder about the majesty of God and how good He is that it gets stuck in my throat, I'm getting irritated with myself.
    Am I just highly sensitive, or over sensitive?

Phoebe
  2. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

... but you sound like a beautiful person!
    ((love)) Shannon
  3. day2day

day2day Member

My vote is on highly sensitive.

Beautiful things can also do the same thing to me, I don't thing that is a bad thing, I think it is wonderful that we can be moved that much by the simple things in life. Many people today take all of it so forgranted!!

When we were small those very things that bother you now, would bother you then I am betting, and that was a time when you were still innocent and wide eyed. Then I am betting you were caught up in this rat race we call life. Now you are appreciating all of Gods creatures and wonders big and small, there is nothing wrong with that. I am guessing that God would take it as a compliment that you are a fan of his canvas.

I think this illness we all have will make us more sensitive to anything that breathes and has any pain.

That is my take on it :)

day2day
  4. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Once my brother and I were walking into a clinic, and I stopped him by crying out, "Oh my gosh, Dave, look at that clump of grass! Isn't that the most amazing thing?!" It was covered in shiny dew, and the cold morning rays of the sun made it look like it was a crystal sculpture glistening with diamonds.

He looked back and asked me frankly, "Are you high?"

And I kind of am. High on life, that's all. Sad things have the power to fill me up too, as much as the beauty of it strikes me through at times.

Coping skills can be learned to manage the difficult times that life throws at us, so it's not overwhelming. The capacity to feel deep joy is something to be cherished.

I suppose it's extreme old age that does it for me. ;) I don't have a lot of points on the chronometer, but I feel like I have covered a lot of ground in my stay here so far.

Here's to life with the proverbial glass "full."

[ advertisement ]