what is the difference between lyme and cfs??

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by suexi, Dec 10, 2006.

1. suexi

suexi New Member

hi, your input is greatly appreciated. does anyone have both? and if so, how do the docs determine this?
    thank you
    susan
  2. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

GREAT question.
    i was first told i had cfs. which was fine..i have mega fatigue....BUT i have sooooooo many other symptoms. Someone told me it sounded like lyme. i took a test at kaiser and negative..then at igenex and positive.
    my syptoms are cognitive, emotional, and neurological.
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Just my opinion, but based on lots of exeperience and reading of research.....

I am officially dx'd with FMS and Lyme, but meet the criteria for a CFS dx also.

The immune system does not destroy viruses, it just keeps them down to asymptomatic levels. (This part is fact, not just my opinion)

CFS is the result of the dormant viruses we all have, which are reactivated when Lyme dysregulates the immune system, supressing the innate immunity, and forcing acquired immunity to be turned on all the time.

Differing symptoms are based on which viruses you personally have that become reactivated. Common ones for those with the CFS dx are EBV and HHV6.

For example, when I got Lyme, the following viruses reactivated or were allowed to get a foothold for the first time:

HHV6, CMV, Coxsackie B3, and tick virus.

Klutzo

4. suexi

suexi New Member

you said that there were other viruses that reactivated due to the lyme...as i recall you said. i was just wondering how did you find out? What kind of doctor are you seeing that dx'd more viruses?
    thank you
    susan
    xxxx
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Hi,
    Back when I could still afford it, I saw a holistic doctor with 27 yrs. experience, who used AK (applied kinesiology)to dx and to choose tx for illnesses. He dx'd those viruses.

I was not surprised, since my Cardiologist had already told me he felt a virus had caused my heart damage, not the Lyme directly, and that it was probably either CMV or HHV6.

He also did blood testing for all my hormone levels, which helped a lot, since I found out my Dhea was way too low, and have been taking a small amt. daily ever since.

There are blood tests also for these things, but I am not sure if you can get insurance to pay for them all or not. It might be worth asking your doctor. Antiviral prescrptions can be used,though I've only heard of a few folks who do this.

From what I've read, the general consensus among LLMD's is that as you treat the Lyme, the immune system will get stronger again and put the viruses back into remission.

Klutzo