What is the difference between Neurontin and Lyrica?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Krista47, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Krista47

Krista47 New Member

Hi,
    I've been wondering for quite some time if there is a difference between Neurontin and Lyrica.

I read the post regarding Lyrica and didn't find any info stating the difference. It has been thought that Lyrica was a new and improved Neurontin as both are developed by Pfizer. Once Neurontin was hit with law suits for off-label use, they came up with Lyrica, which was targeted for FMers.

I know Neurontin has gabapentin, a gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) administered orally in adjunct with other treatment of adults with partial seizures with and without secondary generalization. Its therapeutic classes are analgesic adjuncts and anticonvulsants.

I know Lyrica has pregabalin, a 3-substituted analogue of gamma-amino butyric acid (GABA) and a compound related to Pfizer's hugely successful antiepileptic drug gabapentin (Neurontin).

I have used Neurontin. I found that it helped at first with the nerve pain but my body seemed to get used to the dosage quickly. As I increase the dose I noticed my pain seemed to increase as if to meet the dose I was taking.

Does anyone know if there is a difference in these two drugs other than what I've mentioned above? Has anyone tried both and found one to be more effective than the other?

Many thanks in advance for your help,
    Krista
  2. dafoefan

dafoefan New Member

I'm thinking because Neurontin is now a generic, they came up with Lyrica so they can make more $$. It's like when Prozac was about to lose their patent, they came up with a relabled version for PMS so they could charge the bigger bucks. It was the exact same product.

I'm more than happy to be corrected on this if I'm wrong, this is just my opinion. Curious to see the responses that follow.

My dr tried to get me to try it last week, but I feel like the neurontin is fine, and he didn't have any rationale reason.