what is the difference between SSD and SSI ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mn1superior, Feb 24, 2007.

1. mn1superior

mn1superior New Member

I now recieve SSD, for my Fibro, DD, OA, Depression and a few other things, please tell me the difference between the two. I'm recieving 632.oo from the ssd so if I can get more I would deffinatly do it. Thank you. Joyce
  2. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I do not know what those stand for?
  3. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

SSD is Social Security Disability. You can only get it if you have worked enough in your life during a certain period of time.You earn credits and you need so many in order to recieve.Your amount is figured according to how much you earned.When I applied,I was 2 weeks short of earning it,but I could not work anymore to make it up.
    So I ended up with SSI. Supplemental Income whcih is alot less than what I woudl have recieved on SSD.I get a federal and a state SSI check,$623 and $83.87. So I worked over 20 yrs.(total) and I end up with SSI.
  4. tngirl

tngirl New Member

SSD only applies to people who have worked enough quarters to qualify and amount is based on how much you have paid into the social security system.

SSI applies to people who have no work history and the amount is generally less than most people get on SSD.

One person asked what OA and DD is--I believe mn1supperior is referring possibly to dengeerative disc and osteoarthritis.
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

There are two different Social Security Disability programs:

SSDI is for people who have paid into the system through working at some type of employment -- a minimum number of "quarters" is required to be eligible for this type of disability and it does not matter how much your spouse makes.

SSI is for people who do not qualify for the above disability program because of not working, or not having enough quarters earned, and must meet maximum household income and asset totals to qualify. A spouse's income and assets are a qualifying factor for SSI. You just about have to be indigent to qualify. $2,000 max in assets.