what is the front of a boat called?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mindbender, May 13, 2007.

1. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I can't believe I've looked every where I could and no simple answer.

Thank you for replies,
  2. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

How's it going? Good I hope. I haven't seen a post from you in a while. Thought the fleas had got you....

You must be doing a crossword puzzle?

3. mindbender

mindbender New Member

Thanks for the prompt response.

Fmandy, I have been feeling like s**t.
    Thanks for the concern.
    Some times I come on here and just read because I have nothing to add at the time.

thanks Fight[This Message was Edited on 05/13/2007]
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

For future reference, just remember the old song:

The Girl on the Prow by Sigmund Romberg.

Or you could remember the silent film star Clara Bow.

The choice is yours.

Any new artwork?

5. mindbender

mindbender New Member

First of all thank you to fight4acure for giving me the answer so quick and the website which I did check out.

Rock it is going on 6 in the morning here and I'm still not in bed.

I'm still working on that girl. I scanned her progression that I think I haven't posted yet.

I could put that in my profile maybe tomorrow, and then announce it to you. I did add a new pic of me and the three that came, to my Profile, which I told no one about. Check this one out.

I don't think that I will remember the parts of a boat the way you described it but thanx anyway. I don't know who those people are.

Rocky, I'll put something on but I have to retire as the birds are squalking outside already. You know the early bird thingy.

6. rockgor

Are those your chilluns? They are beautiful! Lucky you. I have lots of happy memories of time spent w/ my son when he was small.

The fact that you don't know those people just shows how quickly fame passes. Sigund Romberg wrote operettas and broadway shows. Some of his operettas were made into movies. There was also a movie about him made in the 50s.

Clara Bow was the Marilyn Monroe of the 20s. She was called the "It" girl. ("It" stood for sex appeal.) Unlike many stars she was smart and saved her money.

She is buried at Forest Lawn Cemetary in nearbye Glendale, CA.

Even the most powerful kings, pharoes, and emperors are all foregotten (except to scholars). Fifty years from now most people won't be able to identify the Beatles, Donald Trump, Britney Spears, Houdini, Bill Clinton, Paul Newman, Shaque Oneal, Billy Graham, Tiger Woods, or Robert Oppenheimer.

Anyone who doesn't know them now is just ahead of the game.

7. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Wake,no idea about the starboard & port side either,in that respect I'm nautically challenged,LOL.
    But I do remember the little ditty:

Row, row, row your boat,
    Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
    Life is but a dream.

[This Message was Edited on 05/14/2007]
  8. puglover29

puglover29 New Member

The left is port, the right is starboard. You can remember this by the words "left" and "port" both have 4 letters.

Oh, and the back is the stern.

Can you tell I have a boat?

Atlanta, GA
  9. rockgor

Always nice to have a mnemonic device.

Great pug pic of Shasta.

10. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Check out www.boatingbasicsonline.com/course/safety/3_1.php for all kinds of boating terminology.

Indeed, the the front of a boat is called the bow.

Smooth sailing and best wishes,

11. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Can't help but put in the old story of orgination of the word "Posh" meaning luxorious or 1st class.

Originally I think meant "Portside Out, Starboard side Home" for round trip trips by ship from England to India.

When traveling from England to India via Suez canal that meant to have a cabin on North side of ship both ways. I guess that was the shady side or nicer side of ship.

So, if crusing (or swimming) to England from New York then your left side would be port. Jolly well, and
    Cheers, mr Bill

[This Message was Edited on 05/15/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/15/2007]
  12. rockgor

Yes, I read that explanation years ago too. Sports announcers sometimes call left-handed pitchers port-siders.

There is also the port you dock your ship in and the port city next to the port and the port you can drink and the port that has something to do w/ electronics (AT&T just installed a new one for my computer)

and the port-a-potty and Port au Prince, the capital of Haiti, and Port James in Washington, and Portugal and, no doubt, others as well.

13. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Hey, Rockgor, you missed the Airport!

As always, thank you for the mental and creative stimulation. And laughter. Cheers, your mr Bill

[This Message was Edited on 05/16/2007]
  14. rockgor

You can't miss the airport. Not the Los Angles airport at any rate. It is huge. Bigger than the village I grew up in.

A few years ago there was a story about a kid living at the airport. Can't remember his exact age: ten, 12? Anyway a lady took him home but after a short time he went back to the airport.

Never saw a follow up on the story.

Back to the subject of ports, let's not forget Cole Porter, composer and lyricist of many fine tunes for the movies and B'way shows. Quite a life: born to a wealthy family, married a rich woman, and made oodles himself.

It might have been a perfect life had it not been for a tragic horse accident.

Thank you for your kinds words. What is needed is a short verse on this subject.

I have one here.

I met quite a gal in a port.
    She was what you might call, um, "That Sort".
    On the port we got tipsy.
    She eloped w/ a gypsy.
    My grand wedding plans are "le morte".

15. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I didn't expect to get this many responses.

Thank you all.
    I can't read them all right now because I have to go but I'll read them tomorrow.