what is the max amount of neurontin you can take at one time?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bakeman, Dec 4, 2008.

1. bakeman

bakeman New Member

i take 1800mg at bedtime and want to know how high i can go? i'm already take 3x more than my dr knows.

thanks, bake
  2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

I did a quick Google on Neurontin dosage, and what I found said the maximum recommended dosage was 1800 mg. per day, but that was for use as an anti-seizure medication. It said it should be divided into 3 or 4 dosages to be taken at different times during the day.

I take 300 mg. once a day (evening dose). It's hard to imagine taking 6 times that much! It appears from this that you are already at the maximum dose. I hope it's working for you, but I'm concerned about what you said about your doctor not knowing how much you're actually taking. Please consider talking to the doctor about this.

I wonder if you might think about trying to divide your dosage up throughout the day, and see if that makes it work better for you?

I hope this answers your question.

Best wishes,
    Janelle

[This Message was Edited on 12/04/2008]
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Bakeman

I asked my sister, a pharmacist, about doses since I am struggling with side effects. I have been Rx gabapentin for neuroapthic pain. She told me that for neuropathic pain it was necessary to take it tid (three doses a day) and the minimum effective dose is 300mg tid (900mg/24hrs total); the max dose is 12,00mg tid (36,000mg/24/hrs total).

As so often happens in ME I had to raise my dose very slowly especially when I first started on it; but even now I am having to consider coming off it again. It helps with the NP to some degree; but some of it's side effects seem to accumulative and their impact has to be weighted against the modest degree of symptom relief I'm getting.

If I am attempting to raise my dose I do so for the last dose of the day after I have done everything I need to do; my GP is happy for me to do this and to keep adjusting my doses until I find the right balance between benefits v side effects.

The best dose, within what is considered safe generally, is what works best for you.

tc, Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 12/04/2008]
  4. findmind

findmind New Member

I now take 600 mg 4x per day, about 4-5 hrs apart, and it works well for me without any side effects (but who can tell, with all our symptoms?).

Taking it all in one dose wont' help you maximally. I would let your dr. know you want a script for it, to be taken 3-4 times a day.

It has been one of my most effective meds, for my neuropathy of lower legs and feet. I do take it with food, except for the the 3rd dose, which I take before an evening nap, and it helps me sleep then.

I hope you find the schedule that helps you the most, so maybe you could try some of these here and see how you do...

Best,
    findmind
  5. msnova74

msnova74 New Member

Like many meds it can depend on your body.

I take 2400mg max per day now, but I have been as high as 4000 mg a day.

That having been said. My md was checking my blood levels and they were extremely low as i process meds very quickly.

You really need to talk to your md and let him decide based on your liver functions etc.

T

T
  6. Kellyslaw

Kellyslaw New Member

I take 2 300mg 4x per day. If I'm having a "good day" my doc said I can take less. The max dose is 3 300 mg 3x per day per my pain management doc.

Kelly
  7. bakeman

bakeman New Member

i'm going to see my doc next week. i'll see what he says.

bake