What is the max amt u can b chrged for medical records?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Krista47, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Krista47

Krista47 New Member

I've been a member of the board for several years and have gotten a lot of help and support.

I was wondering if anyone knew if there is a maximum amount a medical office can charge you for your records? I live in Portland Oregon and need to get me records from my doctors office as we have changed insurance.

The office personnel told me it would be very expensive and I should just ask to have them transferred to the new doctor's office. However, I want to know what's in my records. I've kept as many copies of labs and such things but I know that my former doctor never put in my records that I had an L5 cage fusion surgery because she didn't know what it was. I'm wondering what else has been left out or minimized.

Any help is appreciated.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/22/2009]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Last time I looked at the California statute, it said the patient was entitled
    to a copy of the medical records. The medical office could charge a
    reasonable amount.

Suppose Oregon is the same. You might be able to find in on line. Try
    searching for Oregon statutes, medical records, copies.

Good luck
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

everywhere that I have looked concerning this, it has pretty much said that they are YOUR records, so the office has to give them to you, but they can charge a small amt (basically copying fees).....since copy places typically charge about 10 cents/page, I would think that that would be considered a reasonable amt.......that said, it certainly can add up

I do know that I had to get copies of pretty much every single medical record I have ever had (no exaggeration) for a lawsuit a few yrs ago (car accident, not my fault - was trying to get the person who hit me to cover my medical records and they wanted old records, too, to prove that I didn't already have the problems related to the accident)....anyway, I had to get some of them and the lawyers office got some of them, but I was never given a hard time trying to get them....and pretty much the most I was charged was 10 cents per page
  4. quanked

quanked Member

It is under oregon.gov

this was taken from FAQ

18. Does my doctor or other Board licensee have to let me see my records if I ask?

Yes, with very few exceptions you have the right to access to your records. Keep in mind, however, that the actual record belongs to the doctor. The Oregon Medical Board Administrative Rule 847-12-000 states that upon written request, a copy of the medical record must be made available to the patient. Physicians should comply with these requests within a reasonable time, not to exceed 30 days.

A reasonable charge for costs incurred in providing patients with a copy or summary of the record can be made; however, the patient cannot be denied the material because of inability to pay or because of an outstanding bill for previous services.

IT sounds like if you want copies of verbatim records you may need to request this exactly or you could end up with a summary.

I hope this helps.
  5. Krista47

Krista47 New Member

Thank you so much for your responses. It is a great help. I feel much more comfortable asking for what I need.

Happy Holidays to all,
    Thanks again,