What is the meaning behind IgG, IgA, IgM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mira1959, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Mira1959

Mira1959 New Member

I need to know what do the following letters stand for?

I have seen these letters in my own blood tests, but I have never gotten a good explanation what they mean. I know one set means that one had an infection in the past and another that there is a current infection, but beyond that I am clueless about their true significance. At what point do the numbers attached to them actually prove that we are sick.

2. Kazah

Kazah New Member

Just found this on the web for you from medicine plus dictionary - Hope it helps!!

Quantitative nephelometry is a test to quickly and accurately measure the specific level of certain proteins called immunoglobulins in your blood. Specifically, it looks for the proteins IgM, IgG, and IgA.

The test provides a rapid and accurate measurement of the amounts of the immunoglobulins M, G, and A. Immunoglobulins are proteins that are mostly antibodies.

take care
  3. sbrucks62

sbrucks62 New Member

These tests are done to test your immune system, monitor the course of a disease and its treatment. There are five classes of immunoglobulins (antibodies) - IgA, IgG (which also have four subclasses), IgM, IgD and IgE. The basic function of immunoglobulins is to neutralize toxic substances, destroy microorganism functions, and the ingestion of cell debris, damaged or dead cells, and anything else that is considered foreign to the body. They attack and clean up!
    IgA is found in the blood and secretory organs such as saliva, tears, colostrum, bronchial, gastrointestinal and genitourinary secretions, where its main job is to protect against microorganism invasion
    IgE is the least abundant is involved in allergic reactions and some immune responses to some parasitic worms.
    IgG is about 75-80% of total immunoglobulins. It binds to many type of pathogens such as viruses, bacteria, and fungi. Also, it is the only one that crosses the placenta and is responsible for protection of the newborn during the first months of life.
    IgM constitutes 5-10% of total antibody and is active against certain bacteria (gram negative), rheumatoid factors and forms natural antibodies such as blood typing.
    IgD usually coexists with IgM at a very small percentage. It's function is currently unknown.

I pulled out my old lab book from nursing school to get all of this. (I wish had remembered it all)! Anyway, it was a good refresher for me also. If you need to know causes of increases or decreases of certain immunoglobulins, please let me know, and I can at least tell you what the book says.
  4. Mira1959

Mira1959 New Member

Dear SBrucks62!

Please give your real email address in case I need to ask you more questions. I have no idea how to reach you through this system. Thank you for this explanation. I still need to know when does a doctor know that there is past infection and when does he knows that there is a current infection.

5. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

I have also been told that elevated IgM levels can predispose you to a stroke or other "thick blood" issues.
  6. candyswift

candyswift Member

IgG stands for immunoglobulin G.

It is is a type of antibody. It is a protein complex composed of fourpeptidechains—two identicalheavy chainsand two identicallight chainsarranged in a Y-shape typical of antibodymonomers. Each IgG has twoantigenbinding sites. Representing approximately 75% ofserumantibodiesin humans, IgG is the most common type of antibody found in the circulationIgG molecules are created and released byplasma B cells.