What is the Most Constipating Calcium?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aeryn, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Aeryn

Aeryn New Member

I want to take more magnesium (specifically go back to the SNAC ZMA), so want to balance it by a morning or lunch dose of fabulously constipating calcium. I am taking lower doses of chelated mag now to build my tolerance of it as suggested on the board and that is helping. But maybe this will also help. Calcium does not make me sleepy, by the way (what the heck does?).

What brands really bind you!? (^:
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I don't take a calcium supplement, I eat/drink enough milk, yogurt, cream cheese, and Ensure to get my daily allownance.

But from what I hear on the board the Coral Calcium seems to be the best right now.

Always be sure to space the calcium a few hours between your magnesium supplements.

By the way, I take the ZMA, at nightime and its been a Godsend for deep sleep.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. Aeryn

Aeryn New Member

I think I need to clarify. Magnesium gives me the runs, so I want to balance it with calcium that is constipating!

Which calcium would be most constipating is my question.

I worry about the effect of buying coral calcium since the coral environments around the world are endangered. Where do they get coral calcium from?

A
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Barefoot's books on the Coral Calcium, but will have to go look up where it comes from. I think it was Japan, but am not 100% sure, its been awhile that I read it.

I don't know about you, but cheese, banana's, and chocolate will constipate the heck out of me. The worst is Poppy Seeds :), sad as I love all of the above.

Give me a litte time, if no one else answers you, I will see if I can find this one out for you.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

That I can answer, if you take Magnesium Citrate it will keep your bowels regular.

Heres a name and a brand; 'Natural Calm' brand; 'Natural Vitality'.

This is a powdered form of magnesium citrate, you put it in hot water, it fizzes like an Alka Seltzer, and taste like one too. Not too bad of a taste. Its sold at most health food stores, but not GNC.

You will have to find what amount will work for you. I can take one heaping teaspoon and in about 12 hours I go. But you may have to take more as I also take Pro Energy (Malic Acid and Magnesium Glycinate), and ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6), lots of magnesium!

I sure know how you feel, I went through hell half my life with constipation. I also had locked bowels once, never want to go there again.............

Also be sure to drink half your body weight in ounces of water a day, that is also a big help. Let me know how you make out with the Natural Calm.

Shalom, Shirl

6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I cannot find what calcium is the most constipating, I read everything I have on it.

But Klutzo would probably know, so if necessary, make a post to her. She is your best source for this information. I am lost :(

As for the Coral Calcium, and where it comes from, here it is from the bottle 'Coral Calcium Daily': uses the premium grade, 100% pure, ionized bioavailable coral calcium, collected from the waters of Okinawa, Japan, with ecological safety overseen by the Japanese goverment for the protection of the coral reefs and marine life. Coral calcium provides us with important mineral nutrients. At a 2:1 ratio of calcium to magnesium, Coral Calcium Daily is readily absorbed. The results is a powerhouse of marine nutrients known around the world as 'Coral Calcium'.

By the way, there is more information here, just click on the 'Store' link, Pro Health sells this same product.

Shalom, Shirl
  7. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

I know that Klutzo takes and recommends Calcium Citrate, which is highly absorbable..but, since I want to prevent constipation, I don't look for one that causes it..I have never been aware that any form of Calcium causes constipation...

Plantscaper
  8. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

I always had this problem my whole life.

3 yrs ago I realised white bread and pasta gave me IBS.
    So I stopped both for 9 months and the constipation immediately disappeared...

I now eat only what comes naturally and it`s never been a problem since... only have wholemeal bread now & still no pasta.

Can you perhaps relate it to your diet?

Pat.

Just read your post again and see you are on Morphine - Is this every day? as this`ll bung you up.[This Message was Edited on 07/14/2003]
  9. klutzo

klutzo New Member

ALL calcium is binding, just as all magnesium is loosening, it's just a matter of degree. I am not aware that one type of calcium is more binding that others, but some are not absorbed well or may be contaminated, so you don't want those. Calcium citrate is your best bang for your buck, since you absorb more of it, and it is not contaminated with heavy metals.
    You might try some binding foods....cheese is famous for binding. Ripe bananas and apples are good (they contain the main ingredient in the diarreha medicine, Kaopectate), but make sure they are ripe, or they have the opposite effect.
    If you are not gluten intolerant (many of us are), pasta and bread have a soothing effect on the bowel and will stop cramping that may make you go more often.
    Obviously, you want to avoid loosening foods like prunes, apricots, tea, egg plant, and unripe fruits.
    Good luck!
    Klutzo

P.S. A sleeping tip....have you tried GABA yet? It's cheap at your local health food store or right here at ProHealth, it's safe, it has zero side-effects, it is the main calming neurotransmitter in the brain, and fibro people are deficient in it, so you can safely take the maximum dose of 750 mgs. twice daily. It is known in alt. medicine as "the chill pill". It won't knock you out, but it can help you relax. I've been taking it for years now, to help keep my dose of Xanax as low as possible.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/14/2003]
  10. Aeryn

Aeryn New Member

Okay! Well, I think I have found it is simply ZMA that sets me off I can take other forms of magnisium and just get gassy.

Will up my banana intake, etc... all good advice. About the gaba, I am going to post something above that worries me about these nuerotransmitter supplements.

Unfortunately, I am a cheese eating vegetarian brown bread brown rice person (with the exception of pasta and bread to go with it), so maybe I need to eat steak and wonder bread!?

Going to take my calcium with a banana shake!

Good advice from you all, thank you!