What is the pain like?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by reformedgranny, Sep 11, 2003.

1. reformedgranny

reformedgranny New Member

Doctors give me no answers. I have done everything on my own. For 2 1/2 years now I have had nearly constant pain in my legs--almost a cramping, some days very weak. I asked them to check my thyroid--I was hypo. They have treated that, my TSH is now 1.8, being treated with Armour. But I still have the pain and weakness. I also have a thick feeling in my feet, kinda like a numbness and sometimes burning. I have an edema problem--taking 20mg of Furosemide in the evenings and 40mg in the mornings(this I do not like taking), so then I have to take potassium chloride. I have been taking a Benadryl at night to help me sleep so that I can function during the day as I am a Kindergarten teacher. I also have tightness in the muscles in my calves and if I sit any length of time my legs become very stiff. In the mornings I have a very hard time walking right after I get out of bed.
    Does this sound like fibromyalgia? At first I thought it was neuropathy, but now I don't know what to think, esp. with the edema.
    Any insights any of you can give me will be deeply appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Reformedgranny
    [This Message was Edited on 09/11/2003]
  2. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

FM to me is like the worst case of flu, without the fever and never goes away! I started doing Tai Chi in the mornings and it really truly helps me get going. Take care, I'm sure you'll get some good replies.
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

HI Reformedgranny, welcome to the board. Some of what you say sounds like FM, especially the cramps in the legs (which are spasms?), the sleep problems, and the problem waking up too.

As for the Edema, I do not have that, but others here do as well as many have a thyroid problem.

What you need is a doctor that is a believe in FM to diagnose you. Sometimes that is not easy to find, as you have already stated.

Are you a water drinker? If now, we all need to drink half our body weight in OUNCES of water a day, along with a 1/4 teaspoon of Sea Salt. Since I have been doing the watercure, I have been feeling so much better.

Also most of us are deficient in magnesium, which I also take, and it has made a tremendous difference with the pain and muscle spasms, and stiffness.

We have many very knowledgeable people here, and they will also be replying to you with some adivce and shared experiences.

Again, welcome to the board, and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. reformedgranny

for your reply.
    I just have a few questions now. Wouldn't a spasm be more like a charlie horse? This is a constant cramping.
    About the water--I was told that since I retain water, only drink when thirsty. I also have to very seriously watch the salt/sodium intake. I had to go to the hospital and be given Lasix intravenously because it had gotten so bad. Since then I have been on the Lasix daily. I've tried to go without, but can't and the least extra sodium in anything I eat, I notice the difference. So what I'm asking is, will the sea salt do the same thing? Is that 1/4 tsp. per day?
    My doctor checked my potassium and magnesium last visit and I never heard from her, so I assumed it was all right. I know--NEVER ASSUME, right? How much do you take?
    I have tried so many things--right now am trying Sam-e. No help yet!
    I love these message boards. I think we can learn much more from each other than from some doctors. Thank you again.
    God bless you!
    Reformedgranny
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

You sure sound like me! I have been treating myself for years now. I gave up with the Medical profession years ago, as I was getting little or no help with this FM, etc.

I would not even bother to tell the one I visit now that I even have this :). I can't take pain pills and all the other meds they prescribe anyway. All I take is low dose Xanax at nightime these days. The rest is my own trial and error stuff!

I would not dispute your doctor with the water, but I honestly can't understand only drinking water when you are thirsty. If that was the case with me, I would never drink water. I rarely feel thirsty, and I live in hot/humid Louisiana.

As for the Sea Salt, thats 1/4 of a level teaspoon each day. I just put a pinch on my tongue throughout the day (I love salt). But if they told you not use salt, then maybe this is not for you.

I read a book called; 'You're not Sick, You're Thirsty!' by F. Batmanghelidj, M.D. thats where I got the information about the water and the salt.

I am not familiar with your meds hon, I do not take any of the ones you mentioned. Hopefully someone else here will be able to help with that.

As for the pain, yes, spasms feel like 'charlie horses', its knotted up muscles. I understand now, you mean constant pain like tense/cramping muscles in your calves? We also have that kind of pain! The only thing that has helped is magnesium for all of the FM pain.

As for the difference in table salt and Sea Salt is that regular table salt has anti-caking agents in it, and its processed with chlorine to make it white. Its processed so much that any of the natural minerals would be gone, plus the agents the use in processing is not good for our bodies.

Natural Sea Salt(unprocessed) has none of this in it, and it also has the natural minerals it suppose to have.

I hope this helps somewhat, as I am no expert here!

Shalom, Shirl

6. reformedgranny

for your input.
    I am like you when it comes to water also. I think that the Lasix, which makes me potty a lot, makes me thirsty. It also depletes my potassium, so I have to take a prescription to replace that. I would rather find the cause of the edema than just be treating the symptoms and causing more symptoms to be treated--a vicious circle!
    I am going to order some magnesium right away and get on that.
    Then I am going to look into the Sea Salt. Right now the edema seems to be my biggest problem.
    Do you also have joint pain? Some days my knees really hurt, making walking very difficult.
    Thanks again for your time and information.
    Have a nice weekend and a blessed Lord's Day!
    Reformedgranny