What is the progression of Fibro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gomoptop@yahoo.com, May 23, 2010.

1. gomoptop@yahoo.com

gomoptop@yahoo.com New Member

In all the stuff that I have seen on the net and information centers, I have yet to see what long term prognosis is. does anyone know if there is a cure and how long does this last, am I going to have to deal with this for the rest of my life?

My fibro started out very slow I didn't even know that there was something like this. I thought I was just have a few bad moments or days.

Then when the exhustion set in and I started sleeping for long periods of time I started getting concernerd. I lived fairly normal for a whaile and just accepted that my body needed to
    "shut down for a while."
    Then I started having a really bad time with the winter months and silly me moved to Tennesee from Florida. I have been here 3 years and a little more, and practically sleep the winter away what little I can do is certainly becomeing a problem.

I finally found a doctor that would listen to me and he is the one that came up with Fibro.It has taken me a year to try and get my insurance to pay for the lyrica and Savella and still don't have the answer tothat.

Oh by the way I can't take the normal pain meds I have a very bad reaction to them I think I am allergic to the opiates. So I have to do this without pain assistance. Good thing I have a high tolerance. Huh?

Can any one tell me how long this last, how fast it progresses and the long term prognosis? Please.

Yes I know it would have tro be a general type answer because each case is differant, but I would really like to know the truth and I am a very strong person so please don't hold back.

Tnaks very much for being here and letting me kn ow I am not alone.
  2. cordy250

cordy250 Member

From what I know of myself, it is a permanent condition. However, you can do things to alter the progression, but it is different for everyone.

Personally, I think the longer you look for a "fix" the more counterproductive it is. You have to learn to live with this syndrome and find out what are the types of treatment that work for you best.

It is life altering, but it does not have to be life ending. You have to fight, you cannot play the "woe is me" card and give into it unless you wish it to overwhelm you.

I think the phrase "use it or lose it" is very appropriate here. You may have to reduce what you can do or do it in a different way, but there are plenty of folks that can still be productive and live a decent life with fibromyalgia.

I'm not saying it is easy. There will probably be days that you just want to sit on the edge of the bed and cry. Do that for a little while, but don't let it take you over.

Try new treatments (new to you, that is, I personally stay far, far away from new drugs) try different therapies, adjust, adapt and never, ever give up.
  3. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Mine progressed much like yours did. Few symptoms that didnt "slam" me. Then a couple of years ago it went into overdrive and I havent been the same since. Im still learning about this DD myself and this site has been invaluable to me. From everything Ive learned there is no "cure"...just treat the symptoms. And learn to read your body. Know whats going to "get" you and what might not slam you down so badly. Im still working on that myself. . . . . . . . I lived in TN a very long time ago. I loved it there! The ppl were wonderful. But the winters can be rough. Good luck I hope you find the answers you seek.
  4. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

It depends on the CAUSE of your symptoms.

Many people here have found out that a bacterial infection (Borrelia burgdorferi) caused their pain and fatigue.

This bacterial infection is also known as Lyme disease. Many people with this infection also have other infections like Babesia, Bartonella and Ehrlichia.

Please read this info and take a look at the symptom list.

You will never have a chance of recovery if you do not figure out what CAUSED your symptoms and treat it appropriately.

Think of FM as a symptom of a larger infectious picture, not your final diagnosis.

5. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

There are many different factors that have potential to contribute to fibro pain & disability, IMO, however that opinion is not necessarily shared by most mainstream docs.

Some of us have made progress on reducing the average daily level of pain, the frequency & intensity of flares. Usually that happens by working outside of the traditional medical box, which often tends to focus on symptom reduction rather than contributing factors.

For myself, I've gone from being housebound with a walker, unable to manage steps, during flares multiple times a year, and needing to use a cane daily, -- to NOT needing a walker, and rarely (few times per yr.) needing the cane. My sleep has improved, my pain is a small fraction of what it was, flares are extremely rare. I have a life! I can garden for hours at a time, shop to my heart's content without crashing, and do the volunteer work I enjoy. Now, there still is a point where I can overdo things & suffer a setback. But for the most part, I am able to be about as active as the average woman my age, with a few exceptions.

While some people find that their fibro symptoms result from infectious organisms, testing did not show that to be my own problem. I have done extremely well with dietary changes, replenishment of 5 hormones, and a cutting-edge med called LDN, which I have had to self-prescribe.

As far as progression towards more serious disease, I would say that where the contributing factors are not discovered & dealt with, there is more likelihood of a deteriorating situation than would be had these factors been addressed.

Best wishes.