What is the right amount of B12?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by monica33flowers, Apr 18, 2009.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I just had some bloodwork done and my B12 level was 1010. Is this a good number? Of course, the dr.'s office says it is fine but we all know what is "normal" isn't always the fact for those of us with fibro.

2. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Monica.

The conventional blood serum B12 measurement unfortunately doesn't tell the whole story on B12 in CFS/fibro, because the problem is in the conversion of B12 to the coenzyme forms inside the cells. So a person can have a wonderful looking serum B12 level, but still not be able to use B12 functionally. To see how that's doing, one has to look at the urine methylmalonic acid level. Your doctor can probably order that from a conventional lab, or you can get it as part of a urine organic acids test, such as the Genova Diagnostics Metabolic Analysis Profile. It's available without a doctor's order from www dot directlabs dot com. This panel also includes Figlu (formiminoglutamic acid). If both these are elevated, it's almost certain that you have a partial methylation cycle block. If you do, you are a candidate for the simplified treatment approach to lift the methylation cycle block, and I would encourage you and your doctor to consider that treatment.