what is the vitamin d ....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by glenda2, Jun 19, 2010.

1. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

what is the vitamin D level suppose to be?
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

it is hard to know as it is stored in fat - what's in the blood may not reflect what's actually there.

This is an excerpt from wikipedia:
    Measuring vitamin D status

A blood calcidiol (25-hydroxy-vitamin D) level is a satisfactory way to determine the cumulative effect of sun and diet in relation to vitamin D[29] although serum 25(OH)D levels do not indicate the amount of vitamin D stored in other body tissues;[30] it has a fairly long circulating half-life of 15 days.[9]

Circulating 1,25(OH)2D is generally not a good indicator of vitamin D status because it has a short half-life of 15 hours and serum concentrations are closely regulated by parathyroid hormone, calcium, and phosphate.[10] Levels of 1,25(OH)2D do not typically decrease until vitamin D deficiency is severe.

In overweight persons increased fat mass is inversely associated with 25(OH)D levels.[31][32] This association may confound the reported relationships between low vitamin D status and conditions which occur more commonly in obesity[33] as the circulating 25(OH)D underestimates their total body stores.[34]

A concentration of over 15 ng/ml (>37.5 nmol/L) is recommended.[citation needed] Higher levels (>30 ng/ml or >75 nmol/L) are proposed by some as desirable for achieving optimum health but there is not enough evidence to support them.[35][36][37][38]

A study of highly sun exposed (tanned) heathy young skateboarders and surfers in Hawaii found levels below the proposed higher minimum of 30 ng/ml in 51% of the subjects. The highest 25(OH)D concentration was around 60 ng/ml (150nmol/L).

This page has the FDA's recommendations for all the vitamins:

best, Victoria
  3. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

my rhuemy told me mine was a little low so told me to take some,,made me sick so he said not to worry about it. my level was 78.

from what i have understood this is normal.
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

The labs in my area use a range of 25-130. My test came back at 95.
  5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Glen - BC Bio have started a new service where you can sign up and have your labs emailed directly to you each time you go in for tests. It'll sure beat waiting for the results in the mail.
  6. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

so should i keep trying ti take vitamin d? seems my level is not to bad..i am going back to the dr tomorrow so i will ask him. this is not the same dr that was talking to me about vit d.
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Sometimes you can get a script and the vitamin is cheaper. I don't know for sure about Vitamin D, though.

My D level is in the eighties. What was your level?

Low level D can be associated with more pain.

Take care.

8. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

Gap my level was 78..but he wanted me to take them..thay made me sick so he said stop. i thought 78 was pretty normal.

Glenp i do have copies of all my medical records..bot do i have alot!! lol
  9. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

well it sounds like mine is ok....but i did go to dr today. a dif one that told me about my vit d level and he said it it a good idea to take a vit. d3 anyway. he said he would have me tested again if i wanted but i chose not to i spend enough on blood test to add that one to it..loli did have a blood test today but did not add the vit d one to it.

he said even if your level is normal range it is still a good idea to take. he has been after me to take calcium tabs (my mother has oteoporosis) i know that is spelled wrong..ha but i hate adding anymore pills. but i did go today and got a calcium supp with vit d3 in it...hopefully it will not make my sick.i am going to try it at night to see if that helps maybe sleep through it. after awhile then maybe try in in th am. i get nausea alot & have phenegran but i don't want to take it everyday.

boy if i could keep just half the money i spend on meds, well i can think of all sorts of things i could do with it! lol
  10. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

well i took my calcium with vit d 3 & so far it has not upset my stomache. it says take twice daily so i tool one lastnight & one this am so far so good.

about having it tested every week no way i have enough blood work to pay for without adding more to it..but i can see doing it if your leve is 7 then i would do it.

the dr. hospital & labs & pharmacy get enough of my money...lol
    got a new rx yesterday went to fill it just to find out that even with my ins,i was to pay $200. i have pretty good ins too. well neddless to say i didn't get it filled. i got 3 rx filled & it was $8 one was neurontin& the rest was my regular ones i also bought the big giant bottle of calcium & vit d3 from sams. so i got off pretty cheap since i din't fill the biggie!!!

well cheap for the meds but i'm sure my bloodwork will cost me AGAIN!!!!!
  11. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

i bought caltrate with vit d3....my mother has the same dr as me & she has osteoporosis (sp) do he is always after me to take my calcium!!
  12. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

i would have to get up tp go look how much is in it because i can't remember...lol but since vit d makes me sick to my stomache i need to take a low dose. plus since my vit d level is 78 dr. said it was ok......hubby got up to look for me the caltrate had 400 iu & i tske 2 times daily.so ibelieve it is enough for me.
  13. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

Interesting this topic should be brought up now.

I was in my docs office about a week ago at which time he stated that my vitamin D level may be causing me more fatigue and pain. I could understand vitamin B levels, but vitamin D????

He said he will test me once I get insurance - in 4 months. I cant afford it before then.
  14. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

my dr, said even if your level is normal it is a goodidea to take vit D3. he said his was normal & he takes it.

MSBNURSE1 New Member

levels under 30 = deficent,
    ideal is 45-100

I take 4000mg vit D daily and my level runs 53..it was 19 prior to supplementing (I have done OTC supps for 3 yrs)
  16. IanH

IanH Active Member

A 28-year-old woman was evaluated for 4 months of excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS), after an overnight polysomnogram (PSG) revealed neither sleep disordered breathing nor a sleep related movement disorder. A full sleep evaluation revealed the presence of heavy daytime napping and pervasive fatigue. Epworth Sleepiness Scale (ESS) Score was 10/24. No features characteristic for depression or narcolepsy were present. Chronic pain in the low back and thighs, as well as chronic daily headaches were identified as potential sleep-disrupting forces.

Risk factors for hypovitaminosis D [deficiency] included limited natural sun exposure, dark skin tone, and obesity. A 25-hydroxyvitamin D level was low, at 5.9 ng/mL.

Vitamin D supplementation was initiated at a dose of 50,000 IU once weekly, and excessive daytime sleepiness improved within 2 weeks.

One week later, a PSG with next-day multiple sleep latency testing (MSLT) failed to show significant pathology.

At follow-up, she reported resolution of thigh pain and headaches, with a significant improvement in her low back pain syndrome. EDS had resolved, and her ESS score was 1/24.

Follow-up 25-hydroxyvitamin D level was normal at 39 ng/mL. Mechanisms for her clinical improvement could include:

• Enhanced sleep quality due to resolution of hypovitaminisos D-associated noninflammatory myopathy,

• Or a possible immunomodulatory effect of vitamin D decreasing central nervous system (CNS) homeostatic sleep pressure via its effects on tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) and/or prostaglandin D2.

More research is needed to determine if patients presenting with excessive daytime sleepiness should be more broadly screened for vitamin D deficiency.

Source: Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, Dec 15, 2010; 6(6):605-608. PMID: 21206551, by McCarty DE. Sleep Medicine Program, Department of Neurology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, Louisiana, USA.

The effects of Vitamin D deficiency are proving to be extensive to say the least. Also note that our vitamin D levels (25OH-D) vary a lot, so taking a test will only be an indicator for a short period of time. Obviously in the winter it will go down. If you are a sun lover and expose a lot of your body to the sun it should be reasonable but some people have tested quite low even with decent exposure so a lot of clinicians are advising most people to take a supplement. Vitamin D is made from cholesterol, so if you are on statins or other cholesterol reducing medication you should take a supplement.?
  17. sams76

sams76 New Member

Hi, I am an RN and this is a good site to look up your blood test results and they are explain in layman terms. You can also look up a disease and make sure you doctor is ordering all the necessary tests for you. As a person using Vit D supplements (prescribed) let me tell you it is necessary. You need D to lay down calcium for bone growth or bone repair. Also if it is too low you will have pain, like a all over body aching. A good way to describe what is happening to the bone is picture a copper pipe with corrosion on it. When your Vit D is low your Alk phos on your lab work will be elevated. Alk Phos will coat the bone and cause the pain. At fifty (healthy fifty) I fx a rib from a little fall. five months later I had a tumor explode in my spine. When I came off the pain pills I still had leg bone pain, you can tell the diverence between bone and muscle! My alk phos on my metabolic labs was coming back elevated. No one would address this. I finally went back to my primary and told her to run a D level on me. It wass so low it didn't register! I did a once a week dose, plus my daily vitamins, retested in six weeks and it was back to normal. Tried to see if I could manage it on daily vitamins alone and couldn't. Is worth the cost to take the once a week. I also per my oncologist's recommendation to all liquid vitamins when possible as they are easier on the stomach since it doesn't have to work to break them down. The site above is a very good tool!
  18. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I just saw my new doctor's nurse practitioner. I was quite impressed with her. At first she wanted me to take a combination of D2 or D3 can't remember but the one that is recommended, calcium and magnesium.

I was concerned about really needing these supplements as my good blood levels of the above and my last bone density test were excellent. Plus my IBS has been acting up lately.

She talked to the doctor and she said not to take the vitamins at this time and we will monitor my levels as well as BDS. I am going to get a colonoscopy in the near future, was suppose to get it tomorrow but cancled because of the weather :>), and that will also be weighed. This could change in the future depending on risk factors and tests.

However, please keep in mind that this is only my experience and my doctor's recommendations after weighing the benefits and risk.

Your situation may be different.

Take care.

[This Message was Edited on 02/02/2011]
  19. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Thanks for relating this.

My alk. phos. was elevated at one time and they thought I had Pagest's disease. It turned out I didn't and it was caused by a medication.

I have heard that if you take too much thyroid or are hyperthyroid this can also raise your alk. phos. At one time I was hyperthroid. Have you seen this with your patients?

My vitamin D level is fine but my dad's was low.

I am going to ask my doctor about taking liquid vitamins as most bother my stomach and IBS.

I need to take iron, my stomach can't handle it. I may get the injection but have heard negative things about it. Liquid might be a viable option.