what is this new pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by loto, Jun 29, 2010.

1. loto

loto Member

Hi All FMers.
    I have a new pain I've had for a few days now.
    I wonder if its FM related.

I recall someone talking about pain in the chest/ribcage, but I can't remember what it's called.

My pain is behind my upper left breast, like under the ribcage. It sometimes spreads around like under the armpit area, and slightly to the ribcage of my back.

It usually just hurts (sharp pain) when I take deep breaths. Last night it was really bad for a period of about 5 minutes. It really scared me.

A couple of weeks ago I had breast biopsy surgery on my left breast, and hope it's not a complication of some kind from that. I don't think it is, because this pain is under the ribcage.

Anyone refresh my memory, and tell me what this sounds like?? I plan to wait another week, and if I'm still experiencing this pain I'll go to the doctor.

Thanks! Please tell me what you all think this is!!!

2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

3. loto

loto Member

I looked it up and that's exactly what i have going on. guess there's not much to do about it, unless it gets worse or lasts a long time i'll go see my doctor to rule out other things.
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Loto - I have to agree with AuntTammie, it definitely sounds like you could have Costochondritis. My sister-in-law has FM and developed Costo two years ago. It is actually quite common for FMers to get this at some point.
  5. loto

loto Member

Does your sister-in-law suffer from it often? I'm just wondering what to expect. Does it come and go, or pretty much another daily pain?
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Yes, unfortunately it is another daily pain that has really set her back. Before that she was able to return to work, but she has had to go back on disability. As long as she doesn't do much, the pain is doable, however, just about any movement with her one arm sets it off again - even something as simple as making a salad.

It doesn't help that the disability insurance people are trying to find a way to get her back to work. They keep sending her for things like rehab, physio, seminars to help her reenter the work force in a new field. Try finding a job that only requires the use of one arm and as many rest breaks as needed. They just don't get it, do they?!?!?

I'm ETA that Costo affects everyone differently. With my sister-in-law, hers doesn't seem to be getting any better, whereas there was a member here who a few days ago mentioned that she had it for only four months. The average time I read is one year.

[This Message was Edited on 06/30/2010]
  7. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Costochondritis can be caused by a Bartonella infection.
  8. loto

loto Member

I've heard from many different people that disability is a joke! a few people I know really need to be on it, but so far have been denied, and I know 2 people who are on it, but then go out and do construction work every day! It's ridiculous!!

No, they don't understand that most work places require their employees to be 100% to return to work after an injury, illness, etc. It's all a joke! The disability system needs to be overhauled, in my opinion. My husband keeps telling me that I should get on disability because I am unable to work all day and then come home and do housework/family stuff. I just laugh at him and tell him he just doesn't get it! Trying to get disability is a long, hard process.

anyway, thanks for the info. I hope mine doesn't get any worse, but the luck and experiences and new symptoms I've been having for the past year don't forsee anything getting better!!

9. loto

loto Member

Is there a bloodtest I could get to tell me if I have this infection? I know it's hard to tell if a person has Lyme, but what about Bartonella?