What is this sensory overload you talk about

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shazzy, May 9, 2003.

1. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Hi all,

What is this sensory overload you all talk about.

Shazzy
  2. moonflowercat

moonflowercat New Member

For me it is bright light (like sunlight), loud sounds (especially if they are sudden), and I hate crowds...don't even like holidays if there are too many relatives in one house. Went out to eat tonight, and a very shrill toddler was sitting at the table next to me screaming, his parents were actually able to carry on a conversation during this temper tantrum and ignored his screams altogether. I wanted to stuff napkins in my ears!

Brenda :eek:)
  3. moonflowercat

moonflowercat New Member

I said "tonight" and it is 6am in Texas! Haven't been to bed yet!

Brenda
  4. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

WE live in a fast paced noisy,smelly world. AS sensitive as we are on the inside,we also wear our sensitivty to life on the outside. Our brains idle about 3 times faster than the rest. SO traffic,crowds noises etc. We are much more in tune and sensitive too.I have to step outside for awhile when in a crowded noisy room to regroup. I would like my air bag in car to go off and lift me out of all the traffic noise.Just to cope,stuff the napkins down thr kid,no excuse me,slap the parents for not taking child out. If there is a pool close just toss all those noisy,having too much fun people, wait a minute I used to be 1 of those having fun noisy people. Oh well, you know what I mean, guess we could be called party poopers,you know every party has 1,as the song goes. Must be the 1 fibromite invited.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is any time our senses are being overloaded by stimuli such as noise, light, touch, smell, etc. It can be having someone walk by who must have bathed in her perfume and it makes us feel sick. It can be people pressing up against us in an elevator making us want to scream until we can get out and get away from them. It can be sunlight or harsh lighting in a store. It can be noisy people or music or the PA system in the stores (Wal-Mart is the worst).

I slip 1/4 of a Klonopin under my tongue before I know I will be in a situation like this and it helps.

Love, Mikie
  6. moonflowercat

moonflowercat New Member

I wanted to stuff the napkins in the kids mouth...and slap the parents around too! Sorry this reply so late, but the board was down all weekend.

Thanks for the much needed laugh!

Brenda :eek:)
  7. layinglow

layinglow New Member

For me..sensory overload makes it impossible to concentrate on one thing at a time, my mind is racing, I cannot hold a thought, or follow a conversation, my speaking becomes fragmented, muddled, and incomprehensive, the adrenalin is flowing, and when it is not attended to and gets totally out of hand, I begin having tremors and myclonic jerking, which affect my limbs, trunk, head, and neck. I will also get twitching of my facial features.

Being in a crowded room, with continuous conversation, lots of movement, and background noises all competing will set it off. Flashing lights, loud noises, too much going on around me, also driving in the car and bright sunlight shining thru the trees and then making shadows does a number on my nervous system. Crowded and busy streets are awful. I do not drive anymore, because I get overwhelmed, and cannot concentrate on that many things going on around me at once. That is what I describe as my sensory overload, anything that is too taxing on my nervous system, or too much to process.
    I take 1 mg. of klonopin, and get away from the chaos, and that usually brings the symptoms to a halt.
    LL
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I start to do something and get distracted by a shiny object and forget what I was going to do.

Love, Mikie
  9. aryiella

aryiella New Member

It is a very frustrating and annoying symptom of this disease.

10. sharie

sharie New Member

Does anyone find that these symptoms come and go or is it an all the time overload? I find smells at times to be overpowering but sometimes same smell doesn't bother me at all.

Sharie
  11. jka

jka New Member

my problems with it are noise level-like going to the movies always hurts my ears.lights hurt my eyes.if i'm in a room with alot of people,it makes me nerves and i feel over whelmed.sometimes my clothes even bother me.i think it's different things for each person.for me i have some days that are better then others.but crowds always bother me.

kathy c
    [This Message was Edited on 05/13/2003]
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That noise can actually hurt. I can hurt myself and actually feel the pain as it is amplified through my body. The same holds true with certain loud or annoying noises. It actually physically hurts. Weird!

Love, Mikie
  13. kalina

kalina New Member

I have all the sensory overload problems you all have described... the lights, sounds, smells, etc. all get to be too much at times. Anytime I am around a lot of people, there is a point where I almost always have to step outside or into an empty room just to close my eyes for a few moments and reset.

I'm also wondering if any of you have this problem that I attribute to sensory overload: Let's say somebody is talking to me, and at the same time, music is playing, the TV is on, or somebody else is having a separate conversation nearby... it all blends together and turns into one big indistinguishible noise. Or if I'm reading a book and the lawn crew shows up two houses away... I can't make sense of the words anymore. The only way I can really concentrate on one thing is to have NO other distractions. Anyone else this way, too?

Kalina
  14. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

I have no ability to concentrate on what I am saying, doing, reading, listening to if there is too much noise around me. My mind becomes jumbled up. Also I feel very tense if loud noises occur around me like I want to jump out of my skin. Then I feel very irritable and want to just get away. Big crowds with noise make me feel overwhelmed & I want to escape. Strong odors make me feel sick & lightheaded & sometimes give me a bad headache. I cannot tolerate bright lights and wear transition lenses or sunglasses outdoors. Flourescent lights make me feel jumpy and spaced out. Children or babies screaming make me feel so tense I just want to give them something quickly to make them quiet down. Fortunately I live in the country where mostly it is quiet. My best to you. CLD