What is Tizanadine (Zanaflex) like? Does it work?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bunchy, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Bunchy

Bunchy Member

hi all,

I had to take a lot of Diazepam again tonight because of severe shoulder and neck spasms, tightness and pain. It was unbearable seriously :-(

I am trying to reduce my doses of benzos but I really need something to help with this problem to be able to wean more effectively.

Soma doesn't help much nor Baclofen nor Neurontin. Only high doses od Diazepam have helped so far.

Does anyone find Zanaflex (tizanadine) help with this type of muscle pain and does it help you sleep? (another of my problems)

Can I get som responses ASAP as have doc appt tomorrow and was thinking of trying this.

Thanks and hoping everyone has a pain free, relaxing night.

Love Bunchy xxx
  2. cathugs

cathugs New Member

Hi, Bunchy.
    I use Zanaflex, and it works well for me when I am
    having muscle spasms and also helps my sleeping.

I use one (4mg) at bed time along with Ambiem (10mg)
    for sleep.

I usually take 1/2 tablet as needed during the day
    for spasms. I have spasms about all over my body at
    different times. I never know where they are going
    to hit.

My neck and shoulders seem to be my worst and
    last the longest, as do yours.

If I were you I would try them. They can make you
    drowsy, but I can't recall any other side effects
    as I have been taking them for quite a while.

Hope this helps a little. Have a good night,
    and a great Drs. visit tomorrow.

God Bless. Ruth

3. kriket

kriket New Member

I take 1 4mg tablet at night along with 10 mg of ambien and with this combo. I will sleep. Some nights I have sleepless nights, as we all do, but not very often. I can't take it during the day b/c it makes me drowsy.

Kriket
  4. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

My doctor highly recommends Zanaflex because it helps decrease muscle spasms and also normalizes Substance P which Fibro patients have an excess of. Here is some info on Substance P:

"Substance P is found only in the spinal column. Doctors believe it is an excess of Substance P enhancing our pain levels. Substance P has been shown to exist in higher levels in Fibros. The theory is that when found in higher levels Substance P as a neurotransmitter increases how we perceive pain. The higher the level of Substance P the more efficient our system is at pain transmission, it is that transmission which makes little pains feel horrible to Fibros. "

Lolalee
  5. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I have been on 12 mg of Zanaflex at bedtime for many years now.

In the early years, it knocked me out, literally. And I slept quite well.

If I am having muscle spasms during the day I will take a half (2 mg) and it will help.

The 12 mg dose does not work as well as it used to, and I've learned recently that Zanaflex is only to be useed short-term.

My body jerks and jumps all night long even though I am on this dose (12mg) and keeps my husband awake.

Another doctor I had seen told me that Ambien or Lunesta are NOT to be taken with Zanaflex as there is a drug interaction.

Good luck to you!
  6. Bunchy

Bunchy Member

Just back from doc appt - he will not prescribe it for me as it is not indicated for CFS/FM in the UK and is expensive but he said I could take upto two Soma at a time if needed instead and has given me more of those.

I will see if that helps a bit as I have only ever taken one occasionally at night.

Thanks for your input and wishing you all a comfortable, relaxing evening.

Love Bunchy x
  7. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I take Tizanidine 4 mg. at bedtime and it is far superior, for me, to flexeril.

I am out and being forced to take the Flexeril because of the pharmacy snafu and I can tell the difference.

Tizanidine has been suggested in studies to be superior for FM and CFS patients, as it helps with sleep, muscle spasms, and PAIN.

It is very CHEAP IN THE GENERIC FORM AND THE GENERIC IS HERE IN THE US, SO I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW IT IS EXPENSIVE IN THE UK.

IN THE BRAND NAME, YOU BET YOU IT IS EXPENSIVE, BUT I USE THE GENERIC AND IT IS INDISTINGUISHABLE.
  8. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i tried zanaflex without much luck. it really didn't help to relieve the muscle spasms i was having. on the plus side, it really didn't seem to have any side effects. for me the muscle relaxer robaxin has worked the best. the other bad the wih zanafle is it's a newer drug and i know my insurace co-pay for it was $50 per refill. robaxin is an old generic drug and my co-pay is only $10. so if cost is a factor for you, you might want to ask your dr. to try robaxin instead of the zanaflex.
    i hpe this helps.
    rachel
  9. Bunchy

Bunchy Member

Thanks for the replies.

I took two Soma last night and it DID help more although I still had to sleep on my back because my shoulders and neck hurt too bad to sleep on my side like I do usually.

I am going through an awful phase with this at the moment but feel a bit better today even though I slept like cr*p yet again.

I am moving soon and will have to find a new doc - maybe he/she might let me try the Zanaflex - we'll see.

Hugs,

Bunchy x